wishbone

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that quick pitch out of the wishbone is the best play the packers have

it can either go right or left and the running back desides either to take it out side or inside

Amazing

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

it can either go right or left and the running back desides either to take it out side or inside

Amazing

While I agree that the wishbone look makes the defense stay balanced, I don't know that it is the "best" play the Packers have.. but it certainly is nice to keep the defense guessing... I keep waiting for a play action out of that set with a nine route down the sideline.. it is comming.

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically that formation isn't a wishbone. True wishbone is FB behind QB and HB's spilt behind the FB. Green Bay is splitting a TE and FB behind the QB and putting the HB deep in the backfield.

But it's a great formation, you get the lead block from the FB, a guard can pull and the TE can easily stop backside pursuit. Lets the HB be patient while the blocks develop.

IMHO, McCarthy is proving to be a very solid game planner. I like a lot of the new looks and plays they use - e.g., putting Jennings in the TE spot against a LB in the KC game... and having the patience to keep that set under wraps until a key point in the game. Good stuff.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically that formation isn't a wishbone. True wishbone is FB behind QB and HB's spilt behind the FB. Green Bay is splitting a TE and FB behind the QB and putting the HB deep in the backfield.

But it's a great formation, you get the lead block from the FB, a guard can pull and the TE can easily stop backside pursuit. Lets the HB be patient while the blocks develop.

IMHO, McCarthy is proving to be a very solid game planner. I like a lot of the new looks and plays they use - e.g., putting Jennings in the TE spot against a LB in the KC game... and having the patience to keep that set under wraps until a key point in the game. Good stuff.

Yeah, it's a neat formation. I don't think we should use it too much, but more to confuse the D.

Yes, MM is becoming one of the more solid game planners I've ever seen. Amazing thing is it's only his 2nd year.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shanks2122 said:

Amazing

While I agree that the wishbone look makes the defense stay balanced, I don't know that it is the "best" play the Packers have.. but it certainly is nice to keep the defense guessing... I keep waiting for a play action out of that set with a nine route down the sideline.. it is comming.
I'm with ya on this one. I can't wait to see it

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we ran the wish when we had najeh and ahman i liked it a lot, it was nice seein it yesterday

bakler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it looks like a variation of the wing t offense actually. which is a very popular option offense used mainly in high school.

FrozenTundra1979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing more screen passes and tosses out of that formation. It also easily shifts into some great power packages, especially with Hall improving his routes and consistently catching the ball.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it looks like a variation of the wing t offense actually. which is a very popular option offense used mainly in high school.

The wing-T is what I see also, it would be interesting to see if they could run some counter plays out of this formation.
I like seeing that McCarthy has some imagination when it comes to offense.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bakler said:

The wing-T is what I see also, it would be interesting to see if they could run some counter plays out of this formation.
I like seeing that McCarthy has some imagination when it comes to offense.

I was taught that it is actually a "flexbone" offensive set, however most people don't know that name as easily as wishbone.. however in our set the fullbacks are tucked inside the tackles allowing us to go inside or outside with the formation, a traditional flex is designed for a option or pitch team mainly attacking the edges of the field. The flex is a decendant of the wishbone set, but it allows the FB to pick up penetration into the backfield quicker than is the second halfback was a few yards deeper in the set.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts