Williams will return punts, replacing injured Woodson

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By GREG A. BEDARD and LORI NICKEL
[email protected]
Posted: Nov. 25, 2007

Green Bay - When Tramon Williams came to training camp this year with the Green Bay Packers, he heard the whispers that he was just a camp body.

"That just drives me," Williams said Sunday. "I love the challenge about it all."

Well, if Williams liked that test, he's going to relish what's awaiting him Thursday.

Barring any unforeseen developments, Williams will make his debut as the Packers' full-time punt returner against the 10-1 Dallas Cowboys inside a raucous Texas Stadium.

Nothing like easing into the job for the 24-year-old Williams, who was sitting home this time last year as a free agent.

"It's probably not (ideal) but it's definitely a big opportunity at the same time," Williams said. "I have confidence and I'm just ready for it."

With Charles Woodson's status still in question because of a toe injury, the Packers will likely keep him away from punt returns until he is healthy. Williams got most of the work in practice, while Will Blackmon, out since Oct. 3 with a broken foot, fielded kicks for the first time.

Williams has returned two punts this season. The first came against the Washington Redskins on Oct. 14 for no yards. His second opportunity was on a pooch punt from Carolina Panthers kicker Jon Kasay, and Williams returned it 94 yards for a touchdown.

"I've got experience with it so I'm ready for the opportunity," Williams said.

Williams, who was signed to the Packers' practice squad for the final five weeks of the 2006 season, got his first extensive playing time as the dime cornerback against the Detroit Lions last week.

The coaches told Williams they now want to see him field punts on a more consistent basis.

Williams said he's not gun shy on the big stage.

"I don't fear nobody coming down there and taking my head off," Williams said. "I don't fear that. I've got the confidence that my teammates are going to hold up their man and give me a chance. That's all I ask for."

Underwood back: It has taken Marviel Underwood a year and a half to put one moment behind him.

It was the first quarter of the first pre-season game of 2006 when the Packers safety, who had been showing a great deal of potential, shredded his knee in an exhibition game against the Chargers in San Diego. Underwood prepared to make a tackle when he tore both his ACL and MCL ligaments. He was lost for the entire season on injured reserve.

Feeling he had made a complete comeback in training camp four months ago, the Packers saw otherwise, releasing Underwood on Aug. 21, even as they kept 10 other defensive backs.

But as the Packers suffered injuries in the Thanksgiving Day game at Detroit, Underwood's phone rang on Friday. It was Green Bay again. The Packers placed Colin Cole on injured reserve and, with another injury to Aaron Rouse, signed Underwood, who practiced for the first time on Sunday.

Working mostly on special teams in practice and completely unsure if he has any chance of playing defense Thursday in Dallas, Underwood said that the additional time off, while frustrating, became beneficial to his right knee.

Since his release from Green Bay, Underwood worked out with Akbar Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer's brother, at San Diego State. He then tried out for Houston, Denver and Seattle, reassured a little more each time that he was getting healthier, even if he didn't get an offer.

"A lot of teams were scared. I just came off an injury," said Underwood.

Wade not a serious contender: One of the most influential men in Packers general manager Ted Thompson's life was Bum Phillips. So when the Packers were looking for a head coach after firing Mike Sherman, Thompson brought in Bum Phillips' son, Wade.

But he apparently wasn't a serious candidate.

"Probably not at all. It was really the only interview I got and it was because Ted was there," Phillips said Sunday in a conference call with Packers media.

Phillips, at the time, had a 29-19 record in his three seasons as the defensive coordinator with San Diego. But Phillips said the Packers interview didn't lead to any other interviews.

That is, of course, until Bill Parcells resigned from Dallas at the end of last season. Phillips beat out nine other candidates, including Norv Turner, to win over Jerry Jones.

Favre on Moss: Quarterback Brett Favre was outspoken in the off-season about his desire to have the Packers acquire wide receiver Randy Moss. What does Favre think now?

"Well, we're 10-1," Favre said. "I think Randy's doing what I thought he would do. I mean, I'm not surprised. They throw it up to him in triple coverage and he catches it. I mean, he's done that I don't know how many times against us. Could he be doing that for us? Sure he could.

"But what our guys are doing is outstanding. A different style of play, but outstanding. What we ask our guys to do, we probably wouldn't ask Randy to do and vice-versa. But we're having a lot of success here right now, we hope it continues, and a big part of that is because of our receivers."

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank God. Hopefully Williams will do well, if for nothing more than to save Charles for secondary work only. He is a key to our D and not worth the PR risk.

Members online

Latest posts