Williams to the Browns!!!

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
i'd rather have 2 or 3 high picks than 14 low draft picks. I mean, we have some holes but who are we gonna cut to make room for all these new players? I think its time for a little more quality and less quantity.

I can see you point. I would like to keep our 1st and our two seconds, but try to trade some of our lower pick to get into the high third round or low second.

With our first four picks, I think we should grab a CB, a TE, a RB, a OLB.

The reason RB is on there is because we can get a really, really good running back in the bottom of the second round.

There are 11 great RB in this draft.

Darren McFadden
Rashard Mendenhall
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Jamaal Charles
Chris Johnson
Ray Rice
Mike Hart
Matthew Forte
Kevin Smith
Steve Slaton

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I don't see anything to really be excited about.

Okay. A 2nd round draft pick.

What's so great about that? That's not gonna get us a free agent star. We were one game away from the Super Bowl. We need proven talent, not more rookies.

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: williams to browns confirmed

Sangill said:
At first, I was thinking a 2nd round pick was rather cheap for Williams?

Am I totally off here?

Yes and no.

NFL teams over-value draft picks. Second rounders are not traded often and when they are they are traded for Pro-Bowl caliber guys (ie. Wes Welker). Randy Moss was traded for a 4th rounder. Troy Williamson for a sixth. Culpepper (when he was good) was traded for a 2nd. We got a good deal.

While Williams is a proven commodity, he was only here for a year and super expensive.

I hate to toot my own horn. (j/k) But months ago I recommended franchising Corey Williams and I believe the reaction was "Whoa, Corey Williams is not franchise material."

TT made a great move. We weren't going to sink anymore long term money at the DT position. We franchised Corey instead of letting him walk for free. The least we would get was a pro bowl caliber DT to help our title push with Favre.

If TT didn't make this move, we would not have this second rounder. I think this is one of TT's best moves so far (The best IMO was hiring MM, then picking Greg Jennings in the second.) Second rounders usually can make an impact right away, and the total value of the picks deal will probably be less than Corey's one year salary.

We can get a QUALITY prospect in the second. This draft is DEEP with RBs. Guys like Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton, and Ray Rice will all be available in the 2nd round. Imagine a one two punch with Grant and one of those guys. (B-Jack can be our third down back.)

Thanks for clarifying. It's kind of hard to get information about draft prospects, living in Denmark. We don't get college football and basicly my knowledge is drawn from whatever I can find on the net. To be honest, this is the first season where I've been following the offseason and free agency in this degree.

I really like that kid Dustin Keller. I see a lot of mock drafts has him as a second rounder, tops - maybe this can help us getting him in the 2nd round. I don't see us grabbing a RB though - unless it's value for the buck, which seems like the way to go for TT.

Again, thanks for clarifying. Good to know our manager is doing some moves to ensure a good offseason.

Reaction score

To play devil's advocate for a moment, there's no telling how Jolly will comeback from his shoulder injury (may not be ready be the start of training camp) and you hope Harrell will start living up to that 1st round draft status next year. Cole is solid and the Packers like Muir and the Vikings were pretty high on this Bolston kid. I think we'll be okay, but I wouldn't say there isn't at least a bit of risk by doing this deal with Cleveland.

I agree with you Rain, I posted something exactly like what you did a couple of days back.

However, after the silly contract Raiders DT Kelly signed, I thought it'd be best if the Pack moved Williams.

The value of the franchise tender would've gone up in light of Kelly's deal, and I don't think it would have been a wise investment for the Packers. Even if they kept Williams, he'd ask for a silly contract next year (since Williams has performed better than Kelly), one the Packers would probably have said 'No thanks' too.

So getting something for someone who would leave regardless was a smart move IMO. We get a first day pick, which is fair.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What's so great about that? That's not gonna get us a free agent star. We were one game away from the Super Bowl. We need proven talent, not more rookies.

Were Greg, James, Hawk, Bigby,etc proven talent? Young doesn't = bad.

And this GM is good at drafting. Two 2nd rounders we have? Nice. People who follow this team know this is gold.

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think more 2nd Round picks is a great thing. If TT can draft a talent like Greg Jennings was (not WR though), then this deal is the best that could've happened.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:

And this GM is good at drafting. Two 2nd rounders we have? Nice. People who follow this team know this is gold.
I see what Danreb means though..........a proven starter for a "who knows?" player. It will only look great if the guy TT picks in that spot turns out to be at LEAST as talented a player as the one he traded away.

Reaction score

Well the Packers just added more than 6 million in cap space, money they could use to get another player at a position we aren't so deep at.

Perhaps a LB to compete with Poppinga. Williams was going to leave, if not this year than next year. We got something in return for him, a draft pick > nothing.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great job TT ... we got ourself another 2nd round ... you have no idea how many impact players we can get in 2nd round ... but guys its not like this team needs any star player in any position ... we probably just need a TE wich im sure lee can handle it probably a depth TE or a rookie to replace him in the near future ... and depth in the CB ... either then that the only place i would probably think we need a superstar is the o-line ... hey we can just draft a huge monster o-line first round now and it'll help us out ...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Whats so great?

Instead of getting nothing, we get a 2nd rd pick.
Instead of dishing out 6 million MORE into our DL, we don't.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
So the Packers have now have the opportunity to select the 56th pick overall.

Tagging Williams and trading him tells me that the Packers have a plan.

That plan may go back to last year by drafting Justin Harrell and developing the UNDRAFTED talent Daniel Muir so the talent was deep there and Williams was ripe trade bait this year.

Is TT thinking two years ahead of the game? Is he playing chess, and thinking two moves ahead of the rest of the GM's in the NFL?

The Packers Just Traded a 6th Round Pick from 2004 for the 56th pick overall in 2008, and did not diminish future production at that position at all.

That is a hell of a chess move.

R.P.

Actually with your assessment, considering Harrell was drafted to replace Williams, we traded the 1st rounder from 2007 for a second rounder in 2008. We already had an impact player at DT from the 6th rounder in 2004.

With that, Harrell has yet to prove that he can become as much of an impact player Williams. Therefore one could argue that we dropped in quality on the DL with this chess play.

That being said, I agree that considering the situation this offseason, this is the best move that could have been made. TT has done an excellent job of adding quality DT depth. In fact it appeared that he kept too many DTs on the roster last season, until a couple went down this injuries. Keeping Williams at this point would have cost a significant amount in cap space while still leaving him with a tough choice of which player to cut.

The 2 keys to this deal becoming a work of genius by TT -- Harrell developing into a major impact player and Jolly continuing to play at his high level from last year (with both staying healthy of course).

GO PACK GO!!!

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay got fleeced a bit. Only a 2nd for Williams? That's not much. At least get another draft pick or another player. Given the market for DTs out there, this doesn't seem like they got as much as they could have for Williams.

Another point - I'm still not seeing this trade officially on Packers.com or anything. Maybe they are still working out the particulars?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Green Bay got fleeced a bit. Only a 2nd for Williams? That's not much. At least get another draft pick or another player. Given the market for DTs out there, this doesn't seem like they got as much as they could have for Williams.

Another point - I'm still not seeing this trade officially on Packers.com or anything. Maybe they are still working out the particulars?

The trade is now mentioned on the GB Press Gazette web site, although it just says "according to a number of Web reports."

A second rounder for Williams sounds like a very good deal to me. Do you honestly think they could've gotten a first round pick for him? I was surprised that Thompson franchised Williams, but this explains the move. (Some people had speculated that they franchised him just to trade him.) Williams is a good player, but only a borderline starter, and at a position where the Packers have a lot of depth, with Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, and Cole. That second rounder could be spent on a high quality CB, TE, OL, or other position.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think Green Bay got fleeced a bit. Only a 2nd for Williams? That's not much.

While I tend to agree that he was better than a 2nd.. I don't think we would do any better in the trade market.. they are going to move him to end, which I think he will excel at..

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/reports_browns_trade_for_packe.html

Cleveland has announced it officially and inked Williams to a healthy deal, which is better than he would have gotten here, I am happy for the kid..

I think the Packers.com site might be a little gunshy about posting anything today after yesterday's snafu.. maybe they all got canned because of it.. bet the hosting service got reemed for it though in honesty.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to weigh in here,

This is an awesome, awesome deal for the Packers and for C-Will.

Although Williams probably carries, in our view a 1st round value, I'm sure TT has thouroughly shopped around with other franchises and Cleveland offered us a far and away better deal than everyone else was putting up, which explains the midnight-deal nature of this one.

Think about this. When was the last time you saw any player go for a 1st rounder straight up? Every time, it's a round one pick swap, plus said player. This deal was a 2nd round pick for a player with no picks given back by the Packers. That's a steal, IMO.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A comparison trade... Moss only got a 4th from the Pats last year and Kris Jenkins only drew a 3rd and a 5th.. :shock:

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
So the Packers have now have the opportunity to select the 56th pick overall.

Tagging Williams and trading him tells me that the Packers have a plan.

That plan may go back to last year by drafting Justin Harrell and developing the UNDRAFTED talent Daniel Muir so the talent was deep there and Williams was ripe trade bait this year.

Is TT thinking two years ahead of the game? Is he playing chess, and thinking two moves ahead of the rest of the GM's in the NFL?

The Packers Just Traded a 6th Round Pick from 2004 for the 56th pick overall in 2008, and did not diminish future production at that position at all.

That is a hell of a chess move.

R.P.
im not quite understanding this move all that well, then again, ive only been following the NFL since last november.
does everyone who is completly hyped about this keep an eye on NCAA as well as the NFL or is it just me who's just not fully into the NFL loop yet?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:

It only took like 6 hours into free agency for this argument to start!!!!

its gonna be another fun offseason.

That's not gonna get us a free agent star.
i freakin love it.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Danreb said:

It only took like 6 hours into free agency for this argument to start!!!!

its gonna be another fun offseason.

That's not gonna get us a free agent star.
i freakin love it.

Well, I suppose we could get another Brandon Jackson or Greg Jennings.

=)

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

The trade is now mentioned on the GB Press Gazette web site, although it just says "according to a number of Web reports."

A second rounder for Williams sounds like a very good deal to me. Do you honestly think they could've gotten a first round pick for him? I was surprised that Thompson franchised Williams, but this explains the move. (Some people had speculated that they franchised him just to trade him.) Williams is a good player, but only a borderline starter, and at a position where the Packers have a lot of depth, with Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, and Cole. That second rounder could be spent on a high quality CB, TE, OL, or other position.

I don't think he was worth a first, and a second rounder is nice - but given the demand for DTs after what happened in the Superbowl, the mega deal that Oakland just signed and the crummy free agent market for DTs, I just think that Green Bay could've gotten more. Sure, Williams may not be worth more - but when you're the only game in town, you should be able to pick your price is all I'm saying.

They might have done this but nothing was said, but I'm wondering how many teams were in the mix for Williams. I have the utmost belief that TT got as much as he could for Williams, but a 2nd just feels like small potatoes, especially a lower 2nd.

Just my two cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts