Will we be underdogs this year again?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Considering how the media is so built up on other teams I was curious what the other Pack fans may think of us being possibly underdogs.

The usual suspects are in town as some people's favorites in the AFC, being New England and Pittsburgh, and for god knows what reason they also think San Diego may finally get over the hump for a Super Bowl (I doubt it considering Norv Turner went 13-3 back in '09 and let a lucky 9-7 team beat them down)

So are we underdogs for the NFC since the Eagles stole the spotlight?

I think this is good motivation. Just like when we played NE, those guys were 14 point favorites on the spread and we out played them, and would have beat them by 10 had Rodgers played. I don't think they expected us to walk out of Atlanta alive and we gave those overrated birds a reality check!

Go ahead and let them drive us out the spot light. Let us be underdogs. If we made it to the Super Bowl and won without playing a single game home, I think we can do it again, and get through. This is the real dream team.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have been listening to not everyone is sold on the Eagles. Patriots and Steelers seem to be everybody's darlings every year. Packers are it till somebody proves otherwise.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
WE ARE THE DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS !!!!!!!

If we can stay healthy and Finnley and Grant come back with their A game, I don't think there is a defense in the NFL that can stop us. Our Defense will be better then last year. I think we will be better at ROLB and hopefully Neal will be able to play at a level that we won't really miss Jenkins. They may or may not be the best defense in the NFL but they don't have to be. They just have to keep the other team from scoring 24 points because A-Roge and the O will be scorching earth. We may have for the first time in many moons a real return threat.

This team is young, strong and smart, They have great team leaders and chemistry. They have been thru the fire with 6 must win games and are battle hardened. They have depth with lots of talent and playing experience. We have arguably the best coaching staff in the NFL. I know it is early and the road will be long but we have the talent to become a dynasty.

In the words of Coach McCarthy "WE ARE NOBODY'S UNDERDOG"

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think of the Pack as underdogs.
I think of them being under the radar.
They are stealth and will attack quietly and leave a path of losses in their wake.

I dunno or understand why the media pretty much ignores them. They don't have the same kind of vibe you get from ArmPittsburgh or the Cheatriots.
As I posted before, maybe it has to do with being from a smaller town and not having one rich greedy multi-millionare owner?
Packers are a community owned non-profit team.
In a league full of carbon copies the Pack is unique.
Anyway, I don't mind at all that the media ignores the Pack.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WE ARE THE DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS !!!!!!!

If we can stay healthy and Finnley and Grant come back with their A game, I don't think there is a defense in the NFL that can stop us. Our Defense will be better then last year. I think we will be better at ROLB and hopefully Neal will be able to play at a level that we won't really miss Jenkins. They may or may not be the best defense in the NFL but they don't have to be. They just have to keep the other team from scoring 24 points because A-Roge and the O will be scorching earth. We may have for the first time in many moons a real return threat.

This team is young, strong and smart, They have great team leaders and chemistry. They have been thru the fire with 6 must win games and are battle hardened. They have depth with lots of talent and playing experience. We have arguably the best coaching staff in the NFL. I know it is early and the road will be long but we have the talent to become a dynasty.

In the words of Coach McCarthy "WE ARE NOBODY'S UNDERDOG"
Yes they have the tools for greatness.
However as long as they stay focused, humbled and non-cocky then that will improve their chances for a repeat and dynasty ten fold.

I'm sure, as well as you are, they have what it takes and I trust that they will do all they can to return to the SB ASAP.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The thing is with me, is that I believe when a team is doubted, they perform better.

Atlanta game
They were favorites, we kicked the living snot out of them. I will never ever forget the second half of that game and hearing GO PACK GO over the Falcon fans, that was just priceless

I do think we were favored vs Shitcago though. Just for the fact, everyone agreed they were lucky to get so far with so many problems last year.

We were favored on the spread vs Pittsburgh, but everyone in the media wasn't giving us a chance. Ignorant EA Sports that can't make an accurate video game actually picked us to lose (while a fan made rom of Tecmo Super Bowl accurately predicted us to cause all those turnovers and walk away with the trophy).

We proved them all wrong.

Let them be sold out on Philly

We will prove them wrong again when we send them packing in the first round (if they even make it)

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Not a chance we're underdogs. I do expect that the Packers will be predicted by many to win it all this year.
I think those fickle power rankings will have us drop like a rock if we lose the first game to the "Aint's"
Let's face facts here, these Green Bay Packers are really, really good. Well coached, hard workers and a team of destiny. Packers always do Super Bowls in twos, yep, they'll repeat TO the Super Bowl.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a chance we're underdogs. I do expect that the Packers will be predicted by many to win it all this year.
I think those fickle power rankings will have us drop like a rock if we lose the first game to the "Aint's"
Let's face facts here, these Green Bay Packers are really, really good. Well coached, hard workers and a team of destiny. Packers always do Super Bowls in twos, yep, they'll repeat TO the Super Bowl.
And every 30-40 years they do championships in threes. They are a little overdue.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers may be underdogs according to local and national media and they may be underdogs to some/many fans around the country. Unfortunately where it matters most, they will be considered what they are: The reigning NFL Champions. I think one of the reasons it’s difficult for Super Bowl winners to repeat – or even win a playoff game the following season – is because opponents measure themselves against the champs, game after game. I don’t think complacency (another reason champions many times struggle IMO) will be a problem with McCarthy as HC. But the Packers will have a target on their backs, placed there by their peers. I only wish they’d be considered underdogs where it matters most.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are the favorites in Vegas and are the defending champs. We might not be getting as much respect as teams in the past but I think thats mainly based on two factors.

1. The fact other teams made "big name" free agent moves and we "just" kept 21/22 superbowl starters.

2. The fact we barely got into the playoffs as a wild card team in the first place.

I for one don't care about being underdogs in the medias eyes as we WON'T be underdogs on the other teams schedule the week they are preparing for us.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The Packers may be underdogs according to local and national media and they may be underdogs to some/many fans around the country. Unfortunately where it matters most, they will be considered what they are: The reigning NFL Champions. I think one of the reasons it’s difficult for Super Bowl winners to repeat – or even win a playoff game the following season – is because opponents measure themselves against the champs, game after game. I don’t think complacency (another reason champions many times struggle IMO) will be a problem with McCarthy as HC. But the Packers will have a target on their backs, placed there by their peers. I only wish they’d be considered underdogs where it matters most.
Agreed ThxJack, the thing of it is, so many people predicted the Packers in the Super Bowl last year, you know teams were bringing their A game against them. Although I think they did surprise the Giants and Falcons. You could tell Philly and Chitcago KNEW they had a fight on their hands in the playoffs as they'd played them previously during the regular season. Please don't ask about Atlanta, they just seemed clueless. It seems they thought they earned it with their week off.
You get the sense the coaching staff has them chasing perfection and catching greatness though.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
GB ain't nobody's underdog - charles woodson.

We were picked by most analysts last year to be the SB favorite. Just injuries early derailed that talk in favor of other teams.

From what I'm seeing on Vegas sites, they have GB, NE as the favorites. Sometimes with Philly in there with the same odds as well.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Underdogs? Every talking head out there already has Philly's "Dream Team" winning the Superbowl. Why even have one, they will win it. :read:

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're the 2nd ranked team in the media I'd hardly call us underdogs. However, everyone is on New England's jock now that Philadelphia lost to Pittsburgh. I think tt's a blessing for a Champion not to be distracted by the media. Plus it's not like Green Bay can't move on without the national spotlight shining in on us. Our players including the rookies should embrace the humility. You sign with Green Bay not because you wanna be a diva, leave that to Washington, New York, Dallas and Philadelphia. You're a Packer because you wanna win the ultimate prize, The Lombardi Trophy. None of the other stuff matters.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think you can be underdogs either if you the defending Champs.

They'll be under the radar as far as exposure goes though...
No big media stories... which is just how TT and MM like it.
They show up and do work... thats it....
GB really doesnt give those 5 hours of pre-game shows a whole lot to talk about. Because the public in large just wants drama...
like last year with all the Drama with Dallas... and everyone crowing the Jets in August.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can say what they want,but teams shouldn't assume we'll lay down their are guys who didn't get to play due to injury eagles and pats and falcons they can say they are the best this year.but preseason you don"t always play it like a real game kind of like playing in your back yard to see who stays on the team.and the pack have a load of talent,hidden missles,ya wont know their commin

Members online

Latest posts