Will TT Take a QB ?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do top prospects intrigue Packers GM Ted Thompson enough to select a quarterback in first round for second consecutive year?

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

NFL teams seem to think Ted Thompson is bluffing.

Few, if any, scouts believe the Green Bay Packers’ general manager is serious when he says he might select a quarterback with the fifth pick overall after drafting Aaron Rodgers with a first-round selection, No. 24 overall, a year ago.

In the end, they might be right. Nevertheless, the possibility can’t be dismissed.

The Packers have worked with Rodgers for a year, and signs suggest Thompson thinks he has a chance to be a good quarterback. But the Packers don’t know what they have in Rodgers, so they’ve looked long and hard at the top quarterbacks in this draft.

When they’re on the clock at No. 5, they might have a shot at drafting Texas’ Vince Young and/or Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler. If Thompson thinks either has a good shot at greatness, how could he pass up a player at the game’s most important position? A player who, if the projection is right, could carry the franchise for a decade or more, as Brett Favre has done since 1992?

So the question is whether Thompson considers any of the top quarterbacks — USC’s Matt Leinart probably will be selected in the top three or four picks — a far superior prospect to Rodgers. Scouts generally doubt Thompson has reached that conclusion, though it’s not an easy call.

“I think all three are better than Aaron was,â€

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he takes Leinart or Young I'm fine with it. I don't believe in Rodgers. I have no confidence in what I saw during Training Camp, preseason.. Let alone I didn't think he was that good in college... It's not a need but if MM can work someone like Young. I'd be for it. A 1st round pick on a QB is never bad nowadays in the NFL especially when your pretty much rebuilding..

Mauk10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping for Jay Cutler, then let the best man win the starting position.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only one I would consider would be Leinart unless Croyle or Whitehurst dropped to like the 4th or 5th round. You can't really evaluate rookie talent all that well through training camp and pre-season. Brett Favre looked awful when he was a rookie from what I understand, so we should stick with Rodgers for now anyway and we have other more important needs.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
The only one I would consider would be Leinart unless Croyle or Whitehurst dropped to like the 4th or 5th round. You can't really evaluate rookie talent all that well through training camp and pre-season. Brett Favre looked awful when he was a rookie from what I understand, so we should stick with Rodgers for now anyway and we have other more important needs.

I would not even do it in the 4th or 5th round.The last thing we need is another young QB and the picks are to valuable

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Rodgers fan, but I think we could get by with him as starting QB when Favre retires. Aaron's lack of arm strength shouldn't be a problem in a West Coast Offense, and he should be a serviceable system quarterback.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not even do it in the 4th or 5th round.The last thing we need is another young QB and the picks are to valuable

Agree

I'm not a huge Rodgers fan, but I think we could get by with him as starting QB when Favre retires. Aaron's lack of arm strength shouldn't be a problem in a West Coast Offense, and he should be a serviceable system quarterback.

And Agree

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they take Cutler i will punch myself in the balls and agree with all the Ted Thompson haters. Dude had no success in college. He isn't a proven winner, and while he is talented and worthy of being drafted, he shouldn't go in the top twenty.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
If they take Cutler i will punch myself in the balls and agree with all the Ted Thompson haters. Dude had no success in college. He isn't a proven winner, and while he is talented and worthy of being drafted, he shouldn't go in the top twenty.

What no love for Cutler? It's definitely more of a question mark than Lienart or Young but I think this guy will turn out to be a solid QB, not spectacular, but solid, which is about what I think of Lienart and Young.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Rodgers will be trade bait on draft day? I'm sure a lot of teams would be interested in a guy that has a year behind Favre...

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think he has the experience necessary to be worthy of a high draft pick. I think he is way overhyped and going from a Vanderbuilt team that never made a bowl game, to a NFL team might be too much for him. If he wasn't hyped as much and went a good bit later than he is projected to go, I wouldn't mind him because it does look like he has the nature skills and can develop into a decent quarterback. I'm not really questioning his skills but I think he might take some extra time to develop and adjust, and the hype and high expectations don't really give him the time he needs so I could see him being put into a starting role too early and flaming out.

Latest posts