Will the rookies help the team SOONER than we think?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget talent. We know they're all talented. We know they should be good\great players in AT LEAST 2-3 years. But could it be sooner than that?

Take a look at this:

Our average wonderlic score was 24.8 and all of the players had at least 3 years under their belt.

The average is 19.
New England and the Steelers, winners of the last 4\5 superbowls, also draft talent this way...

it seems to work out.

There are a lot of questions, like "can they grasp an NFL playbook?" or "How long will it take to get used to this scheme?"

With these men being SMART as well as quality people and talented players, I think some of these rookies could come out of the gate ready to start the NFL season.

Intelligence and Character issues are often overlooked, but when you look at organizations that don't overlook them (NE and Pitt) and you see the results they get, it is hard to overlook them.

good times ahead

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Hawk, Jennings, Hodge to make immediate impact. I think Rodgers will be our return man on day 1. I thought Colledge would help out immediately but from what I've read (I've never seen him play), I'm not so sure. Sounds like Spitz might step up ahead of him. Doesn't matter to me as long as one of them steps up.

4-5 guys that can help immediately. Can't bash that. Hopefully I'm close.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk may be a bit better than Barnett in his rookie year (which was pretty good).
Colledge should be better than Whitticker in his rookie year.
Jennings should catch the ball better than Bubba did as a rookie.
Hodge may get some playing time later in the season.
Spitz may have a Coston like rookie year.
The rest you want to see just survive the cuts.

You can't expect Jolly to lead the legue in sacks.

If they look like ordinary NFL players, like Collins last year, then they are pretty good rookies.

Hawk and Hodge in 2008 should be very good.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Forget talent. We know they're all talented. We know they should be good\great players in AT LEAST 2-3 years. But could it be sooner than that?

Take a look at this:

Our average wonderlic score was 24.8 and all of the players had at least 3 years under their belt.

The average is 19.
New England and the Steelers, winners of the last 4\5 superbowls, also draft talent this way...

it seems to work out.

There are a lot of questions, like "can they grasp an NFL playbook?" or "How long will it take to get used to this scheme?"

With these men being SMART as well as quality people and talented players, I think some of these rookies could come out of the gate ready to start the NFL season.

Intelligence and Character issues are often overlooked, but when you look at organizations that don't overlook them (NE and Pitt) and you see the results they get, it is hard to overlook them.

good times ahead

That average is even more impressive when one considers that Jolly scored a whopping 10 on his Wonderlic

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Wonderlic scores are a good determinant of success, but didn't Collins get like a 12 or something low...

Ther's always exceptions. I think Marino wore his wonderlic score on his jersey.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
JavonWalker084 said:
Wonderlic scores are a good determinant of success, but didn't Collins get like a 12 or something low...

Ther's always exceptions. I think Marino wore his wonderlic score on his jersey.

That should be a rule, or at least players less than 15 should wear orange reflectors on their jereseys, sort of like a 'student driver' thing for drivers w/o a license

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would expect a draft to yield at least 1 or 2 immediate starters, and with GB drafting higher than the recent norm this year one would hope that number might be 3 to 4. Given the fact that these players scored well on the test and are regarded as real football players not just physical specimens that put up great athletic numbers but may be lacking football savvy, you would hope that 3 or 4 starters this year would be realistic. If they also happen to be at positions of weakness(LB, OL, KR/PR and maybe WR) the impact could be heightened.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully these kids can help right away.
Do any of you know where you can get a copy of this wonderlic test? I'd LOVE to take it to see where i would score.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
learning the ins and outs of the nfl blocking schemes is one of the reasons that it takes o-linemen longer to develop (and also why positions are not interchangeable). i wouldn't be surprised if our guys step up on the o-line much earlier than one would expect.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect Hodge to be in the starting line-up early on, and in the middle. If the staff moves him outside or keeps Barnett in the middle, this will slow Hodge's progress. He's a tackling machine. It'll be hard keeping him out of there.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I expect Hawk, Jennings, Hodge to make immediate impact. I think Rodgers will be our return man on day 1. I thought Colledge would help out immediately but from what I've read (I've never seen him play), I'm not so sure. Sounds like Spitz might step up ahead of him. Doesn't matter to me as long as one of them steps up.

4-5 guys that can help immediately. Can't bash that. Hopefully I'm close.
I also see some of these guys making an impact on special teams. Blackmon for one is a great athlete. I think he can be a good corner and would have definately gone higher if he hadn't have switched to WR in college.
Perfect fit for us now that we have Woodson. He can be groomed and work into one of the CB positions.

In the mean time he should help our once undermanned ST's.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Packers | Bourke signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:40:24 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent OT Josh Bourke (Grand Valley State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Hunter signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:39:25 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent DE Jason Hunter (Appalachian State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Murphy signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:39:25 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent DE Montez Murphy (Baylor). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Santiago signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:39:19 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent LB Byron Santiago (Louisiana Tech). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Alcorn signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:38:42 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent TE Zac Alcorn (Black Hills State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Goodwell signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:38:33 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent LB Tim Goodwell (Memphis). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Bracey signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:38:13 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent RB Shermar Bracey (Arkansas State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Cooper signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:37:58 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent FB A.J. Cooper (North Dakota State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Beach signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:37:47 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent RB Arliss Beach (Kenutcky). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Boger signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:37:46 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent S Tra Boger (Tulane). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Francies signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:37:10 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent WR Chris Francies (Texas-El Paso). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Packers | Russell signing announced
Fri, 5 May 2006 13:36:27 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have officially announced the team has signed undrafted free agent WR Calvin Russell (Tuskogee). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I read, hear and see of Greg Jennings, the more excited I am about his ability to contribute early in his career.

He just seems to do everything very well, and is highly conscious of his need to work hard.

Talent, multi-year production and high character....nice pick.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i think extremely highly of hines ward... great kid, great player. i think everyone likes him.

i get that same feeling from jennings, he seems like the kind of guy who isnt just gonna run up the field straight and cry for the ball. hes gonna work for it .... throw blocks when needed stuff like that... at least i hope

Members online

Latest posts