Will Teddy act now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Now we are down three WR plus the loss of Driver and Jennings. So from last year's roster, we are short 5 receivers. If TT can't act now, I don't believe that he would EVER step up to the plate and make a move that is inaruguably needed. Does anyone have TT's email address. I would like to remind him that we are in first place. If the season ended today, we would be in the playoffs. We have one of the NFL's greatest QBs and he would like to have someone to throw to.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a good deal, I hope he does. If not, then he should stand pat. We deal with injuries better than most (if not all) teams in the league, and our draft picks are precious. Fans enjoy the wheeling and dealing style but over the long run TT's ways have been shown to work. I hope Bostic and Stoneburner and Quarless are ready for their big opportunities.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
So, just for the sake of conversation, if Nelson went down, we should still stand pat and continue to just deal with the injuries? Even if we do it better than every team in the history of the NFL, how bad does a position have to get before we make a move? As we all know, Brett Favre's first completion was to himself. Will AR have to target himself more?

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
What receivers would you want him to go after? I would like to see Hakeem Nicks in a Packers uni and I know there were talks of NY shopping him around.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I say look to the practice squad as needed. Also, I like the two Tight End set, more muscle for the run and can develop into passing play from the same set. Post those ideas, you never know who may be reading in here ! :cool:

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're fine. Jones will be back next week. Boykin looks to be solid. We have a running game. We have the Vikings next week and the Bears the following week (likely without Cutler as it sounds like his season is seriously in question at this point).

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the guy doing nothing to be quite frank. There are avaialble players and of course other options but i think he's conten on what we have even tho at this point imo it may not be good enough against other teams who cn score. If i'm not mistaking this is James Jones last year potentially so we may need to find his replacement as much as i hate to say it. Not to mention the fact Finey could be gone as well, and that has nothing to do with the injury he sustained.

I would like to see us go after Pittsburgh wr Emmanuel Sanders. Pittsburgh is in rebuilding mode imo (2-4) and they could use the draft picks. Sanders would not only give us a legit kick returner but he can also play in the slot and be a huge contributor especially with #12 throwing him the ball. He has great speed and quickness and could be just as good as Cobb in that slot. If we lose JJ a trio of Cobb, Nelson , and Sanders would be legit!! Sanders is going to want to be paid but if we don't have JJ or finley we should be able to accomodate him. This is the move i would make..of course i'm not TT...or else i would have already done it, or at least have bought in someone else.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear, I think some people on here also suffer concussions. TT will do nothing. The next man up (Boykin) is stepping up to the challenge..thats what this team does. And as others have stated, Jones should be back this week. We are not a panic-first team.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I see the guy doing nothing to be quite frank. There are avaialble players and of course other options but i think he's conten on what we have even tho at this point imo it may not be good enough against other teams who cn score. If i'm not mistaking this is James Jones last year potentially so we may need to find his replacement as much as i hate to say it. Not to mention the fact Finey could be gone as well, and that has nothing to do with the injury he sustained.

I would like to see us go after Pittsburgh wr Emmanuel Sanders. Pittsburgh is in rebuilding mode imo (2-4) and they could use the draft picks. Sanders would not only give us a legit kick returner but he can also play in the slot and be a huge contributor especially with #12 throwing him the ball. He has great speed and quickness and could be just as good as Cobb in that slot. If we lose JJ a trio of Cobb, Nelson , and Sanders would be legit!! Sanders is going to want to be paid but if we don't have JJ or finley we should be able to accomodate him. This is the move i would make..of course i'm not TT...or else i would have already done it, or at least have bought in someone else.

Sanders is the LAST wr I would take. From 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013, the most games he played in a season was 7.... otherwise he was injured. That is the last thing we need is another pine riding injury prone high paid baby.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we are down three WR plus the loss of Driver and Jennings. So from last year's roster, we are short 5 receivers. If TT can't act now, I don't believe that he would EVER step up to the plate and make a move that is inaruguably needed. Does anyone have TT's email address. I would like to remind him that we are in first place. If the season ended today, we would be in the playoffs. We have one of the NFL's greatest QBs and he would like to have someone to throw to.
Sounds as if you're concerned with your boy's fantasy football team's QB more than the Packers. We're in first place primarily due to the young players that are stepping up while starters get healthy. It's a testament to TT, not a criticism, imo.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Sanders is the LAST wr I would take. From 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013, the most games he played in a season was 7.... otherwise he was injured. That is the last thing we need is another pine riding injury prone high paid baby.

No need to sugar coat it, what do you really think ? :laugh: LOL LOL !!!!!!!!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I can agree to a point that we do need some type of outside help that has NFL game time experience. Throwing rookies and practice squad guys to the wolves so to speak wont get us very far if we go deep into the play-offs. We need someone that has "been there,done that" before to give Arod some TRUSTED help. I just don't know who and how costly it could get. In reality, all we will have is Nelson and Jones "if" they can stay/get healthy. All of our other guys are still unproven and not well tested. The run game is all good, but if we run across another team that shuts down our run game and we have to go to an air battle, right now.....we wont come out fairing that well.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no need to panic, we were down a starting TE and 2 Starting WR yesterday and still easily controlled the entire game. And how bout Boykin? I am sure there are plenty of Packer fans that thought this guy was worthless yet as far as I am concerned, he was MVP of yesterday's game.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

There is no need to panic, we were down a starting TE and 2 Starting WR yesterday and still easily controlled the entire game. And how bout Boykin? I am sure there are plenty of Packer fans that thought this guy was worthless yet as far as I am concerned, he was MVP of yesterday's game.

Well, Boykin is from VIRGINIA and VA.TECH, enough said. :cool:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, just for the sake of conversation, if Nelson went down, we should still stand pat and continue to just deal with the injuries? Even if we do it better than every team in the history of the NFL, how bad does a position have to get before we make a move? As we all know, Brett Favre's first completion was to himself. Will AR have to target himself more?
That presents a different circumstance than what we now have. A GM has to deal with each situation as it presents itself, not with what might happen.

12theTruth

Ted Thompson is following his philosophy which has served the Packers pretty well up to this point (draft and develop). He doesn't really have an excellent reputation for bringing in free agents though I'd say overall he'd rate as mediocre because of Woodson and Pickett. Duke Preston, Jeff Saturday, Vince Young, Anthony Hargrove, Marquand Manuel are some pretty big misses. After 2006, Ted hasn't really added a free agent who has provided a sizeable positive contribution. Maybe Brandon Chiller??

Here is an article with free agents brought in from both Thompson and Wolf. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/191497901.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
That presents a different circumstance than what we now have. A GM has to deal with each situation as it presents itself, not with what might happen.
OK, so at the end of the season he had a non-hypothetical situation to deal with. He lost two starting WRs. Then during this season, he had two non-hypothetical situations to deal with in the loss of 2 more starting WRs. Then during this season, he non-hypothetically lost our top TE, twice. One of the reason for back ups, in the NFL, is that injuries are considered certain, so you plan for them and have a set of players to come in, when players go down. WR is a somewhat unique position in that if you carry 5, along with 3 TEs you really have 8 players that can jump in. During Sunday's game we were down to 2 WR and 1 TE. Its really not that hypotetical to the consider that we might not have been able to field a spread offense for a team with a pass first offense and a QB that is a great passer. I like to think of TT as the best alternative lifestyle GM in the history of the NFL, as much as anyone, but to not see the pressing need to adding seasoned WRs to out team really, stretches the idea of fan worship.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I did hear rumblings he was looking into other options other than our practice squad

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...but to not see the pressing need to adding seasoned WRs to out team really, stretches the idea of fan worship.
I think you first need to explain the pressing need stated above. What about this situation makes it pressing beyond your hysteria?

I see a Green Bay team that squared off against the best defense so far this season and put up 31 points, the second most this season. Here is the breakdown against:

8th Best Pass Defense allowing 214 yards per game: Packers 260 yards
7th Best Rush Defense allowing 98.2 yards per game: Packers 104 yards
7th Best Yardage Defense allowing 313 yards per game: Packers 364 yards
11th Best Points Defense allowing 20.8 points per game: Packers 31 points

This with 2nd string, 3rd string, and practice squad players filling the "pressing need" roles and succeeding. Will we get by with these guys as starters in the playoffs? No. Do we need ringers for a stretch where we play the 1-4 Vikings, the Cutler-less Bears, the 3-4 QB-less Eagles, the winless Giants, and the 1-4 Vikings again?!?! Are you CRAZY?

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I think you first need to explain the pressing need stated above. What about this situation makes it pressing beyond your hysteria?

I see a Green Bay team that squared off against the best defense so far this season and put up 31 points, the second most this season. Here is the breakdown against:

8th Best Pass Defense allowing 214 yards per game: Packers 260 yards
7th Best Rush Defense allowing 98.2 yards per game: Packers 104 yards
7th Best Yardage Defense allowing 313 yards per game: Packers 364 yards
11th Best Points Defense allowing 20.8 points per game: Packers 31 points

This with 2nd string, 3rd string, and practice squad players filling the "pressing need" roles and succeeding. Will we get by with these guys as starters in the playoffs? No. Do we need ringers for a stretch where we play the 1-4 Vikings, the Cutler-less Bears, the 3-4 QB-less Eagles, the winless Giants, and the 1-4 Vikings again?!?! Are you CRAZY?
I guess I call it pressing when we only have one TE and 2 WRs ready to play, like we did during the game Sunday. I guess you like to call it hysteria and crazy, but we are down 5 receivers from last season. There may be a GM or two that find that concerning. Filling in with street FAs and practice squad rejects, might be fine for a draft a build philosophy, but we do also have this little thing called the 2013 playoffs th consider.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, so at the end of the season he had a non-hypothetical situation to deal with. He lost two starting WRs. Then during this season, he had two non-hypothetical situations to deal with in the loss of 2 more starting WRs. Then during this season, he non-hypothetically lost our top TE, twice. One of the reason for back ups, in the NFL, is that injuries are considered certain, so you plan for them and have a set of players to come in, when players go down. WR is a somewhat unique position in that if you carry 5, along with 3 TEs you really have 8 players that can jump in. During Sunday's game we were down to 2 WR and 1 TE. Its really not that hypotetical to the consider that we might not have been able to field a spread offense for a team with a pass first offense and a QB that is a great passer. I like to think of TT as the best alternative lifestyle GM in the history of the NFL, as much as anyone, but to not see the pressing need to adding seasoned WRs to out team really, stretches the idea of fan worship.
TT addressed the loss of the WR's by bringing in Myles White and Chris Harper who were both active yesterday so that refutes your claim in both instances. You may not like the quality there but we didn't go into the game with just two WR's yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts