Will Roger Goodell reinstate Johnny Jolly in 2011?

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing that Aquib Talib and Kenny Britt skated free over this past week. Is there any chance that the Commish lets Purple Drank Jolly play football in 2011? I think the Packers wouldnt want him back, but you never know? I wouldnt mind the Packers getting Johnny Jolly back. If he's trying to prove everyone wrong and that he's changed his life completely around.

GO PACK GO!!!
AARON RODGERS + **** STASH = SUPER BOWL XLVI CHAMPS

Attachments

• aaron-rodgers.jpg
    aaron-rodgers.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 140

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they didn't need him, I would say screw that...but they kind of do...still I'd rather not have him around

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If I were the Commissioner I would not reinstate him this season. I'd wait for his next arrest and then issue a lifetime ban. He already blew is second chance IMO.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You know it is really sad to see these young guys blow very promising carers because of drug addiction. Addiction is a very powerful thing. It trumphs all logical thought and will make even the best people do very destructive things. Its a medical problem that is very hard to treat. Have dealt with it twice in my extended family and it is really sad to see.

I hope Jolly can get a handle on it and redeem himself. If they can let a guy who tortures animals and a guy who shoots off a gun in a crowded night club, back in, then there should be room for a recovering addict.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know it is really sad to see these young guys blow very promising carers because of drug addiction. Addiction is a very powerful thing. It trumphs all logical thought and will make even the best people do very destructive things. Its a medical problem that is very hard to treat. Have dealt with it twice in my extended family and it is really sad to see.

I hope Jolly can get a handle on it and redeem himself. If they can let a guy who tortures animals and a guy who shoots off a gun in a crowded night club, back in, then there should be room for a recovering addict.

not to mention a guy who kills a pedestrian while driving drunk...

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
So, what is the latest on Jolly and the commish? Haven't seen any news on this lately-- has Jolly submitted for reinstatement? One would think that if it was to occur this year, it would have already happened as odds drop like a rock of anyone making a roster the more of the pre-season that is missed.

Does anyone know Jolly's whereabouts? (Hopefully not hangin' with the ol' gang in Houston)

Is he in shape?

If he was to be reinstated today, would he have any chance to get up to speed with Caper's defense for this season? (Probably so-- I mean, they took Green off the street and had him in the game two days later)

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think about how out of shape the guy probably is. He probably breathes hard scrubbing his body in the shower which works out for him... b/c he's in the shower!

And Rodgers stache is immaculate! If he decides not to shave it, he def needs to smoke a stogie after every win in the post-pressers..

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think Jolly is doing time right now. He had violated the terms of his probation and they sent him to jail, lockup, the slammer. Attica....Attica.....Attica...

Sorry got carried away.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Jolly is doing time right now.
You'd think so, but no. Jolly is out on probation and was supposed to get out of rehab in July. After the second arrest he pled guilty to his 2008 arrest charges and the second charge of possession was dropped. He had to go to in-patient rehab for 90 days, was sentenced to 5 years probation and has a community service obligation to fulfill. And pay a $500 fine.

Good friends of mine are recovering alcoholics so I know what addiction can do. What bothers me about Jolly was, even at his relative young age, his behavior before his first arrest was incredibly reckless. In spite of a multi-million dollar payoff in the near future even he could recognize, he hung out with his criminal half-brother, cousins, and no doubt their/his criminal friends from the neighborhood. He gets arrested in a vehicle with way too much codeine, an unregistered hand gun, and weed parked in an area known for gangs, drugs, and violence. He shows up for court hearings with a demeanor suggesting he still doesn’t get it.

“Miraculously” he gets no jail time and if he keeps clean he gets a second chance for that big payday. And Jolly has an option most addicts could only dream of: He’s got the money to relocate himself (and his mother if she wants) to an entire community that would likely band together to help him stay clean. If he’s not smart enough to do that, he has to at least change his lifestyle in Houston and his choice of friends, right? Nope; he stays put, goes back to the same crowd and predictably is back using and gets arrested again.

If I’m the commish, that earns another year out of the league, one for each arrest. Finally, the terms of this probation prohibit him from going to clubs or bars, drink alcohol or associate with several people, including his half-brother and two cousins. May as well be in Green Bay, hey Johnny? It would also be a good idea for him to stay away from codeine. Next arrest he may have to stand in the corner of the courtroom with a funny hat on. Or go to jail for 2-20 years.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real question is, even if the commish does reinstate Jolly, will the Packers organization have them back what with the way they run things here? If you ask me, I'd say yes on his reinstatement but I don't think he'd be wearing green and gold. Maybe Eagles green would suit him better.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If I were the Commissioner I would not reinstate him this season. I'd wait for his next arrest and then issue a lifetime ban. He already blew is second chance IMO.
I can't imagine a scenario where he turns it around. That's like getting your 2nd DUI before you go to court for the first. He's set a pattern.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
He should be reinstated because his crimes were committed during the lockout, during which there was no player conduct policy. He should be reinstated and, for all his dumb mistakes, the Packers should bring him back. Our DE situation opposite Raji is not pretty right now.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Future, I can respect your reasoning, but the character issues is what matters here. He belongs with the felons at Oakland, or Minnesota...not with a high class, first rate team like Green Bay. TT does not tolerate anyone bringing any negative publicity to "America's REAL team"

Remember when old #56 had his ******* in a twist because he was not going to be in the Super Bowl team photo and then went public with it?...you think TT forgot that?
No way.
See ya Mr. Barnett, and take your samurai dance with ya...

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those two you mentioned were not suspended due to the lockout and the NFLPA. They would have fought it and won. Their actions were when there was no CBA and were locked out. If Jolly really rights himself welcome him back. I have dealt with addiction within my own family and have gret respect for those who have kicked their addictions a**es.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Future, I can respect your reasoning, but the character issues is what matters here. He belongs with the felons at Oakland, or Minnesota...not with a high class, first rate team like Green Bay. TT does not tolerate anyone bringing any negative publicity to "America's REAL team"

Remember when old #56 had his ******* in a twist because he was not going to be in the Super Bowl team photo and then went public with it?...you think TT forgot that?
No way.
See ya Mr. Barnett, and take your samurai dance with ya...

I think Barnett's departure had more to do with his large cap number and the fact that he was no longer a starter. And remember, TT was willing to bring back Jolly this year until his latest screw-up.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Me too.

However, when you look at the track record of the NFL where "moral warts" like Jolly are involved, I've just got a feeling that we haven't seen the last of this guy -- not in Green Bay -- but somewhere...and probably soon. All Jolly's got to do is a "little penance" and get religion, apologize to his maker, his family and friends...blah blah blah...the current fad is get a 'mentor' ... and someone, somewhere ... will pay this guy.

Jolly always reminded me of Cletidius Hunt ... remember him?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has such a fun name.
He should come back just for that.
Johnny Jolly is such a tounge roller.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not to mention a guy who kills a pedestrian while driving drunk...

I wish people would get this right and stop thinking this case was as black and white as they like to make it sound. Plainly put, the Stallworth incident is not a good comparison by any stretch. The facts in the Stallworth case proved the accident would have happened even if he blew under the legal limit. Stallworth didn't swerve up onto the curb and clip the pedestrian while driving in a drunken stupor; The pedestrian stepped out in front of oncoming traffic in an area that didn't have a cross walk or a crossing sign. To put it bluntly, the area where the accident happened wasn't an area where the pedestrian should have been trying to cross the road.

To Stallworth's credit, he never once tried to deflect blame or responsibility. He owned it from day one, plead guilty and payed a multi-million dollar settlement to the family. And he never once tried to blame the pedestrian, even though the evidence proved it was the pedestrian's fault.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should be reinstated because his crimes were committed during the lockout, during which there was no player conduct policy. He should be reinstated and, for all his dumb mistakes, the Packers should bring him back. Our DE situation opposite Raji is not pretty right now.

Maybe his second arrest was during the lockout, but the first, felony arrest, to which he pleaded guilty to, was in 2008. He was suspended all last season because of it.

Frankly, I don't care if he's reinstated or not. Regardless, I hope he gets treatment. If he is reinstated, it should be a last chance, do it again and your done permanently type of deal.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish people would get this right and stop thinking this case was as black and white as they like to make it sound. Plainly put, the Stallworth incident is not a good comparison by any stretch. The facts in the Stallworth case proved the accident would have happened even if he blew under the legal limit. Stallworth didn't swerve up onto the curb and clip the pedestrian while driving in a drunken stupor; The pedestrian stepped out in front of oncoming traffic in an area that didn't have a cross walk or a crossing sign. To put it bluntly, the area where the accident happened wasn't an area where the pedestrian should have been trying to cross the road.

To Stallworth's credit, he never once tried to deflect blame or responsibility. He owned it from day one, plead guilty and payed a multi-million dollar settlement to the family. And he never once tried to blame the pedestrian, even though the evidence proved it was the pedestrian's fault.

You're right, drinking and driving should totally be excusable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts