Will Javon be a Packer on Monday?

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
From Ben Maller:

"The Packers began fielding telephone calls, and offers, in terms of trying to decide whether it is worth it to trade Javon Walker. The Packers made it clear they only will trade Walker for the right price -- a high price. Yet there are enough teams debating Green Bay's request. Teams at the top of the list include Denver and Philadelphia. But there are at least three confirmed others that weighed today."

I expect him to be traded before the draft.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome...the fruits of a weak WR class may be coming home to the Pack!!

All things being equal, I hope they ship his *** to the sorriest franchise in the bidding.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Whatever we get, I hope its two players for one.

Walker for two draft picks OR
Walker for one draft pick and above average player.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good question...If you're going to do this, it better be a deal weighted towards the Packers...I'm always concerned about disgruntled players getting their wish, but I think it looks OK if it's a situation too good to pass up.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, musccy. We hold the upper hand...the deal is to the Pack's liking, or not done at all.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon Walker
48 game appearances 18 starts in 4 years.
157 catches or 3.3 catches per game played.
2444 yards or about 60 per game or 607/year.
6' 3" 215 lbs.
can't run a 40 currently due to ACL tear.
Wonderlic score 7-9 depending on the source.

What would you pay if a player on another team was on the market with those stats??

Does anyone seriously think Walker has "outperformed his contract?"

Take the 3rd round pick, get rid of the Florida State attitude, and build for the future.

OP
OP
M

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
2002-23 catches, 319 yds, 1 td
2003-41 catches, 716 yds, 9 tds
2004-89 catches, 1382 yds, 12 tds

The stats are much more impressive when put into proper context, especially considering most WRs take a couple years to develop.

The ONLY thing hurting his value is the ACL.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
2002-23 catches, 319 yds, 1 td
2003-41 catches, 716 yds, 9 tds
2004-89 catches, 1382 yds, 12 tds

The stats are much more impressive when put into proper context, especially considering most WRs take a couple years to develop.

The ONLY thing hurting his value is the ACL.

Add to that in 2004 he had the fewest drops of any receiver in the NFL and the context begins to change dramatically.

I think Walker is acting like a tantruming child, but there is no denying his skill as a play making football player.

His ACL and current attitude hurt his value, his skills as a football player put him in rare territory. It will remain to be seen what value he may or may not bring -- it sure seems their are an awful lot of good football teams interested in seeing if they can obtain him.

Funny how those that want to dis on him always leave out those very impressive TD numbers, kind of like they leave out his solid kick return numbers as a rookie that went with his outstanding play on all of the special teams.

Go figure!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm glad TT has been such a hardass. he knew what he was doing. because he has acted the way he has, it puts the ball in the other teams' court. they know the only way javon is leaving GB is for a high price. if TT appeared desparate to get rid of Javon, we would only get ****** offers for him

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you want to tag him?

or

Do you want his value to go to zero at the trade deadline?

or

Have a hold out season and collect the 4th round compensatory pick in 2008?

If he doesn't want to play what are you going to do as the GM?
Get what the market will bear! Stats are used to negotiate the price.

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would love to see javon sit on the bench all year and cry about it then throw a franchise tag on him next year and wreck his whole career but we need players now and he could get us something pretty nice, if he was an easily replaced guy i'd have him sit. I'd trade to denver for their 2nd round pick and maybe a later draft pick or a player

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Javon Walker
48 game appearances 18 starts in 4 years.
157 catches or 3.3 catches per game played.
2444 yards or about 60 per game or 607/year.
6' 3" 215 lbs.
can't run a 40 currently due to ACL tear.
Wonderlic score 7-9 depending on the source.

What would you pay if a player on another team was on the market with those stats??

Does anyone seriously think Walker has "outperformed his contract?"

Take the 3rd round pick, get rid of the Florida State attitude, and build for the future.

We can't knock Javon for lack of starts. He was listed as the 3rd WR for quite some time, however he'd simply not be in on the FIRST play therefore weasn't credited with the start but often played more than the 2nd WR on the depth chart.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Cheez, he had 1 good year and is coming off an injury. I don't think he's anything special honestly. He had a bright future but I think he has pissed that away with his attitude and injury. I don't see him ever making a pro bowl again. I know people will disagree but it's just my opinion.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c'mon...lets be honest here...Javon is a rare talent that the Packers haven't seen since Sharpe...sour grapes are clouding some of our perceptions of him. Ignore the stats, he was dynamite in 2004.

His attitude is detracting from him, but you can't deny his physical capabilities. Furthermore, in spite of what I just said, his value would drop if he sits out all of this year, esp. coming off an injury...so the Packers have the upper hand, and deep down JW must know this. He will play if the Packers play hardball.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
musccy said:
c'mon...lets be honest here...Javon is a rare talent that the Packers haven't seen since Sharpe...sour grapes are clouding some of our perceptions of him. Ignore the stats, he was dynamite in 2004.

His attitude is detracting from him, but you can't deny his physical capabilities. Furthermore, in spite of what I just said, his value would drop if he sits out all of this year, esp. coming off an injury...so the Packers have the upper hand, and deep down JW must know this. He will play if the Packers play hardball.

I agree with the last statement.

I wonder if Javon would get a reworked contract before the season starts with massive incentives that are easily obtained by someone with two healthy legs and with his talent.

50 Catchs - 500k
750 Yards - 750k
8 Touchdowns - 600k

With each escalating to higher amounts.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, he's been trying to play hardball with ted, and i don't see him winning. with incentives like that, i bet he plays. however, i don't know **** so we'll see what happens. i think ted has made ALL the right moves with this situation so far.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
yeah, he's been trying to play hardball with ted, and i don't see him winning. with incentives like that, i bet he plays. however, i don't know **** so we'll see what happens. i think ted has made ALL the right moves with this situation so far.

I agree with bozz...he Doesn't know ****.

Just kidding my man. I agree that Thompson has handled this right so far. The tough time is coming though! Do you stick to your guns? I hope so.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
bozz_2006 said:

I agree with bozz...he Doesn't know ****.

Just kidding my man. I agree that Thompson has handled this right so far. The tough time is coming though! Do you stick to your guns? I hope so.

I can't see him not sticking to his guns unless he gets an offer he can't refuse.

I can't imagine letting a guy like Javon go for anything less than 2nd rounder.

Javon is a good guy, he is very misguided and I bet if Javon and Ted sit down and talked they could get this resolved.

No agents, no step dads, just man to man. Bring in the agent for the fine print details.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
good question...If you're going to do this, it better be a deal weighted towards the Packers...I'm always concerned about disgruntled players getting their wish, but I think it looks OK if it's a situation too good to pass up.

I'm alway concerned about disgruntled players behaving badly and forcing a trade. I know we need a lot of stuff, but I'd still give him the ultimatum, you come in and play and play with a great attitude or we'll suspend you and lete you rot. This kid is potentially a great player, but he has some things to learn.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard the guy on WTMJ in Milwaukee think it is Bill Micheals?

Must have been after his rookie season he was with Javon, and his family for something, and Steve said that his family wanted Javon to be the FACE of the PACKERS THEN!! They thought Javon would serve better as the marketing guy for the Pack and not Brett..

Also said they thought he should have got a 10 million signing bonus after that year..( might have been 2004 )

Steve also said Javon in person is very likeable, easy to talk to and super nice..but he is following the advice of the wrong people looking only to get the "bling"

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Must have been after his rookie season he was with Javon, and his family for something, and Steve said that his family wanted Javon to be the FACE of the PACKERS THEN!! They thought Javon would serve better as the marketing guy for the Pack and not Brett..

Also said they thought he should have got a 10 million signing bonus after that year..( might have been 2004 )

Steve also said Javon in person is very likeable, easy to talk to and super nice..but he is following the advice of the wrong people looking only to get the "bling"

The last comment I fully agree with.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:

zero and longtime..you're right about Javon's character...deep down a good guy, just making poor decisions..

Also, here is Walker's prospective resume....

2004: Great year
2005: Whined a lot, then suffered a potential career altering ACL injury
2006: Whined a lot more, proved to be a team cancer, while NOT proving I was able to come back from my injury

Wow...now that's the resume of someone about to get a 15 million dollar signing bonus! If TT sticks to his guns, Walker will play, bottom line.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
musccy said:
Zero2Cool said:
longtimefan said:

zero and longtime..you're right about Javon's character...deep down a good guy, just making poor decisions..

Also, here is Walker's prospective resume....

2004: Great year
2005: Whined a lot, then suffered a potential career altering ACL injury
2006: Whined a lot more, proved to be a team cancer, while NOT proving I was able to come back from my injury

Wow...now that's the resume of someone about to get a 15 million dollar signing bonus! If TT sticks to his guns, Walker will play, bottom line.

I only say give him 15 million if he earns it. I think he deserve the chance. He has a 'right' to be concerned and went about it the wrong way.

Like I stated before. Give him a contract before the season starts that has very obtainable marks for a WR of his talent.
Such as...
50 Catchs - 500k
750 Yards - 750k
8 Touchdowns - 600k

With each escalating to higher amounts.

Which could lead to...
90 Catchs ~ 1 Mil
1400 Yards ~ 1.6 Mil
16 Touchdowns ~ 2 Mil

Who wouldn't pay 4.6 million for that? Let's hope the Packers can finagle something like that for Javon.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Micheals also stated that he thought if Javon would have remained healthy last year, the Pack for sure would have done something to make him happy..

Latest posts