Will James Jones end the year in a Packer uniform?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's kinda been under the radar so how many ppl can actually remember the last time James Jones made a great catch or had a big play? i can honestly say i can't. It seems like his rookie year was his best year imo and then he had a few nice games the yr we won the SB but what has he done since then? I can recall some big drops but that's about it.

I think we still have a chance to trade him and get some value because he is still fairly young and he does have potential to be a very solid #2 wr....just not here. With the emerging Cobb and Donald Driver still running around with young legs i think that maybe sending JJ to cleveland for Mccoy or to a dolphin team who needs wr's for Matt Moore and probably a late rd pick would be a pretty solid move.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He's kinda been under the radar so how many ppl can actually remember the last time James Jones made a great catch or had a big play? i can honestly say i can't. It seems like his rookie year was his best year imo and then he had a few nice games the yr we won the SB but what has he done since then? I can recall some big drops but that's about it.

I think we still have a chance to trade him and get some value because he is still fairly young and he does have potential to be a very solid #2 wr....just not here. With the emerging Cobb and Donald Driver still running around with young legs i think that maybe sending JJ to cleveland for Mccoy or to a dolphin team who needs wr's for Matt Moore and probably a late rd pick would be a pretty solid move.
Don't expect McCoy or Moore to go anywhere If we traded those team it would be for Wallace or Garrard, and that would be a huge mistake (only because Garrard is injured). Tavaris Jackson is the more likely trade, but he makes too much money (even if he does re-negotiate) and I'm not sold on him anyway. Colt McCoy should be traded to a team where he can develop into and eventually take over as the starter, and he wouldn take over here. Wouldn mind Moore or a healthy Garrard.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the guaranteed money Driver got increased the chances of Jones being traded. My guess is there's less than a 50% chance of a trade though as I don't think any of the young WRs have performed so well they've made themselves indispensable. BTW, perceptions are a funny thing. Jones certainly struggled with drops early in his career but last year he outperformed Driver in all receiving categories, including fewer drops.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much of a market for jones and the nfl rarely swaps players. Everyone always says trade jones or hawk for (insert pro bowl player) but there isnt a market for either player. Jones didn't get any other offers on the market and TT is the only guy crazy enough to pay that guy from the goonies twin brother

Packer at the end of the year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love James Jones.
Very underrated.
You all remember the drops he had surely.
But do you remember that he was our 2nd leading receiver in the Super Bowl?
That he had touchdowns in 2 of the 3 NFC playoff games?
What that tells you is, for all his drops and catches, he gets open an awful lot. Don't overlook that aspect. Getting open isn't easy for quite a few receivers.

Plus Jones is a class act.
We're lucky as hell to have him.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also like Jones. He is a very good receiver and I'm glad he is a Packer.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I almost always like his match up. Will be our #3 or 4 and will get open against whoever they have as their #3 or #4 coverage option

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It not his drops that bother me, it's WHEN he drops the ball. His dropped sure TD pass when he was WIDE OPEN to start the 2nd half of the superbowl was UNEXCUSABLE. He dropped a perfectly thrown ball this preseason in the endzone from Arod...just bounced off his hands. His timing of his drops just makes me sick.

He is not a good reciver by any means. A good guy, yes....good reciever, NO. With Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver, and Finley...along with a good host of back ups emerging....I would hope that Jones gets the boot.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ lose, no.....close yes. His drops could have meant that we could have been more comfortable with a lead and put it on cruise control. I understand that we have different opinions and that's a good thing. If you are a JJ fan, cool, I just happen to see him for what he is......."a light switch" player....he does not play to his true potential and give 100% all the time. He is either on or off. That tells me he has a true lack of respect for the game and his heart is not all in. He needs to take a lesson from Clay, he plays hard and relentless on every down, winning or losing.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't get traded. He's a good receiver. The only question in his game is the drops, which is hard to stay steady with, with uneven playing time.

I don't know why this comes up EVERY year. He probably has underachieved a little yes, but someone has to on a team with this many receivers. I thought he took advantage of his opportunities last year and comes at an affordable price. Not an off the field distraction and is a family guy. He looks dangerous out on the field when he's playing in my opinion when I watch him. Good guy, good player he'll be around to stay with any luck.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jones has come a long way with the drops, and I look for even more improvement. Everybody drops a pass every now and again. Jones is a very good receiver and we are lucky to have him

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, Driver was ranked 85th among WR's in catch-percentage (or drops). He dropped 17.78% of catchable balls to him.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

Jones was ranked 78th. J2 dropped 13.64%.
Both are bad.

Look at the stats at that link. Very interesting. Both the GOOD and the BAD have bunches of great players, and some we think of as stiffs. Jennings & Jordy were almost identical in both catches and catchable balls.

.......So to all the guys that finished highly try to replicate the Fitzgerald’s ability to hold onto the ball, and all the guys who struggled take heart in the dramatic turnaround of Jordy Nelson (72nd in 2010 and sixth this year). He’s proof of just how quickly things can change when you don’t drop the ball.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Last year, Driver was ranked 85th among WR's in catch-percentage (or drops). He dropped 17.78% of catchable balls to him.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

Jones was ranked 78th. J2 dropped 13.64%.
Both are bad.

Look at the stats at that link. Very interesting. Both the GOOD and the BAD have bunches of great players, and some we think of as stiffs. Jennings & Jordy were almost identical in both catches and catchable balls.

.......So to all the guys that finished highly try to replicate the Fitzgerald’s ability to hold onto the ball, and all the guys who struggled take heart in the dramatic turnaround of Jordy Nelson (72nd in 2010 and sixth this year). He’s proof of just how quickly things can change when you don’t drop the ball.
Two years ago I was convinced Jones was a better player than "Pan-hands" Nelson. I hated Nelson. Now its Jones playing "catch" up

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's more breakdown on WR's which is too mathematically complex for me to decipher.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

If anyone is smart enough to translate how/why Jones is sandwiched right between Steve Smith, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Lance Moore, Hakeem Nicks, and Robert Meachem, please do interpret that for us thanks!

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
^ lose, no.....close yes. His drops could have meant that we could have been more comfortable with a lead and put it on cruise control. I understand that we have different opinions and that's a good thing. If you are a JJ fan, cool, I just happen to see him for what he is......."a light switch" player....he does not play to his true potential and give 100% all the time. He is either on or off. That tells me he has a true lack of respect for the game and his heart is not all in. He needs to take a lesson from Clay, he plays hard and relentless on every down, winning or losing.

Honestly who doesn't drop passes? but because he dropped "sure touchdowns" all the sudden he's a horrible receiver, what about all the touchdown's he actually did catch? or are you just gonna over look that because he dropped some balls?
Jordy Nelson has dropped some sure touchdown's as well is he a horrible receiver too? should we cut him as well? no because of what he DID catch.
you can't just all the sudden say a receiver sucks because he dropped some passes, every receiver in the NFL is talented that's why they're in the NFL, he worked his butt off to get where he is and I don't think him dropping some passes should neglect that.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IMO the guaranteed money Driver got increased the chances of Jones being traded. My guess is there's less than a 50% chance of a trade though as I don't think any of the young WRs have performed so well they've made themselves indispensable.

If Boykins keeps it up for the next 2 games, it'll be hard to keep him off the roster. I'd rather make room by moving Driver than Jones, if need be. We have the deepest group of receivers for a reason. You don't maintain that by getting rid of your depth. You move Jones, you're down 2 when Driver goes.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones gets lost in the shuffle when we have the whole arsenal on the field. He wishes he got his number called more.
But the success of our offense is not necessarily having a " Go To " guy.
He had a big catch against Denver last year and another on Thanksgiving in Detroit. I believe he had a big miss against the Giants in NY that could have made it easier in the end.

Members online

Latest posts