Will Herman Edwards be the new DB coach

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edwards said he will decide between taking time off, doing TV, and being a defensive backs coach, a job he truly enjoyed before becoming head coach of the New York Jets. Edwards said he does not want to be a defensive coordinator.

He has ties with McCarthey when he was with Kansas City under Mary Shottenheimer. Anytime you can get an ex head coach for a postition coach with that much experience I am all for that.

One site said Edwards was getting a interview with the Pack for DB coach this weekend.

Edwards has proven he is not much of a head coach but has excelled as a position coach:

As an assistant coach with the Chiefs and Buccaneers, Edwards was instrumental in the development of a quartet of Pro Bowl performers. In his role as a scout with Kansas City, it was Edwards who first saw the pro potential of University of Tennessee S Dale Carter. With Edwards serving as his position coach in ‘92, Carter successfully made the transition to cornerback and was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. He later earned his initial Pro Bowl berth working under Edwards in ‘94, the first of his four Pro Bowl invitations.

Serving as Kansas City’s defensive backs coach from ‘92-94, Edwards oversaw a Chiefs secondary that helped the club force a league-high 115 turnovers over that three-year span. Kansas City led the NFL with a +18 turnover differential in ‘92, thanks in large part to 24 interceptions from the Chiefs defense, the third-highest tally in the league that season. Kansas City established a franchise record that season by returning six of those INTs for touchdowns, a figure that remains tied as the fifth-highest single-season total in NFL history. The Chiefs also ranked second in the league in pass defense during the ‘92 campaign, allowing a paltry 158.6 yards per game. In addition to Carter, other notable defensive backs tutored by Edwards in Kansas City included the illustrious duo of CBs Kevin Ross and Albert Lewis, who combined for 68 INTs with the Chiefs.

After a one-year stint as a pro personnel scout with Kansas City in ‘95, Edwards moved with Dungy to Tampa Bay in ‘96. Under Edwards’ guidance, Tampa Bay finished in the NFL’s top 10 in pass defense in four of his five seasons with the club. The Buccaneers ranked second in the league in that category in both ‘98 and ‘99, allowing just 172.6 passing yards per game in ‘98, the club’s best mark in that area since ‘82. Eight-time Pro Bowl S John Lynch earned his first three Pro Bowl berths under Edwards’ tutelage in Tampa Bay following the ‘98-00 seasons, registering six consecutive 100-tackle seasons for the Buccaneers from ‘96-01.

Edwards’ scouting background also paid huge dividends for Tampa Bay as the Buccaneers assembled one of the league’s finest secondaries, primarily through the draft. CB Donnie Abraham (D3-96) earned Pro Bowl recognition following the 2000 campaign when he posted a career-high seven interceptions, helping Tampa Bay tie for third in the league that season with 25 INTs. During the 2000 campaign, the Buccaneers boasted a +17 turnover differential, tying as the third-best mark in the NFL.

CB Ronde Barber (D3-97) began his career under Edwards’ guidance, registering a career-high 5.5 sacks in 2000. In 2001 after Edwards’ departure for New York, he earned the first of four Pro Bowl selections for the Buccaneers after tying for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions. Other notable defensive backs developed during Edwards’ tenure in Tampa Bay include Super Bowl XXXVII Most Valuable Player S Dexter Jackson (D4-99) and CB Brian Kelly (D2-98), who tied for the NFL lead with eight INTs in 2002.

OP
OP
The Coordinator

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw them discussing it on packerchatters. Said it has been floating around on the vikings and lions boards but nothing offical yet

OP
OP
The Coordinator

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it was Winston Moss the LB coach that was retained. He interviewed for the head coaching position at the Rams and Raiders. It came out that he had a bad interview and was not ready to be a head coach. He was also the assistent head coach but if he has retained that title I am not sure. The DB coach was Shottenheimer.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw something about Edwards being in GB too. Somebody said they heard it on ESPN radio but I didn't see anything about it on ESPN's website anywhere... :thinking:

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Whitt Jr. (defensive quality control) was also kept on after all the McCarthy firings, and there is some talk that he will be the DB coach. But I would LOVE Herm to be DB coach. It looks like they are spending money on the coaches, I just hope TT spends it on the free agents.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I did hear a lot of people saying he works really well with young talent so it would be nice to see what he could do

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have enough coaches. We need a coach for each CB, and one for each safety. Also a coach for the nickel back.

(End of sarcasm. This is not a rip on the Packers. I think ALL teams have too many coaches.)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read Espn.com paraphrase Adam Schefler from Nfl.com ( confusing, huh? ) that he's choosing work on tv over coaching db's.
Let's hope he changes his mind again and comes coach Williams and Lee. Those could be awesome db's if proper coached...

Members online

Latest posts