Will Blackmon and Injuries

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think Will Blackmon is a stud and can really make a difference but he is hurt more than a gay dudes feelings when a rainbow goes away... What do you guys think?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think Will Blackmon is a stud and can really make a difference but he is hurt more than a gay dudes feelings when a rainbow goes away... What do you guys think?

Not that theres anything wrong with that... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would be nice to see what he can do for a whole season, I think he could make a difference, but he has to prove he can stay on the field.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a strange analogy...

I voted no, because I think he'll have a hard time battling against Williams & Lee as a CB, and possibly Nelson as a KR/PR.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying he will be good and hoping he'll be good are two different things. Hard to say. I haven't seen enough of him to be certain one way or another.

I will say however that guy is deadly with the football. I'd like to see him back there more.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? Apparently both Blackmon and Harrell can't sneeze without getting hurt, don't think he'll make the roster this year.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Blackmon...

Packer Report.com

Game changers

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Jun 13, 2008

If he can stay healthy, Will Blackmon is on pace to enjoy as much success as a former Packers great, says Packer Report's Bob Fox.

Travis Williams was one the most electrifying players in Packers history. In 1967, Vince Lombardi's last year as head coach of the Packers, Williams returned four kickoffs for touchdowns, including two in one game. He also was a star in the playoff game later that year against the Los Angeles Rams, scoring two touchdowns, including a 46-yard scamper in a 28-7 win the week before the infamous Ice Bowl.

Williams later repeated history by scoring two special teams touchdowns, one a kickoff return and one a punt return in a game in 1969 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Up to that point, NOBODY in Packer history had ever done that except Williams himself in 1967. That didn't happen again until 2007. That's when Will Blackmon scored two special teams touchdowns against the Oakland Raiders.

Blackmon scored on a 57-yard punt return and also a fumble recovery for a touchdown after a Raider fumble on a punt. That distinction puts only Blackmon and Williams in real exclusive company in the long and illustrious history of the Green Bay Packers.

Desmond Howard came very close to joining this club. Besides returning three punts for TDs during the 1996 season, Howard came very close to returning two punts for TDs against the San Francisco 49ers in a playoff game (he actually did return one) and he also had a 99-yard TD return against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI where he was named MVP of the game. Howard also returned six punts for 90 yards, including a 34-yarder that he almost broke for a TD.

So the fraternity of two special teams touchdowns in a game stands at two in Packer history with Williams and Blackmon. The two are similar in other respects as well.

Williams was a budding superstar in 1967 with the success he had as a rookie. But Williams had an on and off career as a Packer. In 1968, Williams had a horrible year with only 63 yards rushing, including a 1.9 per rush average, compared to 1967 where Williams rushed for 188 yards and a 5.4 per rush average. Plus, Williams also had no returns for TDs in 1968.

However in 1969, it looked like Williams was turning into the player that the Packers envisioned in 1967. Williams rushed for a team high 536 yards, including a 4.2 per rush average. Williams was also splitting time at HB with Donny Anderson, Dave Hampton and Elijah Pitts. Williams also had two returns for TDs in the same game at Pittsburgh, and had three receiving touchdowns in that season.

In 1970, Williams fell behind the emergence of Anderson as the main halfback for the Packers, and Williams was also being over shadowed by Hampton and others in the return game. By 1971, Williams had been traded to the Rams for two draft picks.

Like Williams, Blackmon has plenty of potential to be great, as he showed in the Oakland game last year. Not only great in special teams, but Blackmon also has the size and skills to be a great cornerback. But Blackmon just can't stay healthy it seems. Blackmon has had injury issues, having suffered two breaks of his left foot which kept him sidelined for much of the past two years.

Blackmon has a great opportunity with the Packers if he can stay healthy. The Packers were energized by the four special team touchdowns that were scored in 2007. Blackmon obviously played a large part in that, along with ironically another DB/KR in Tramon Williams who also had a punt return TD in 2007. The other special teams TD in 2007 was scored on another fumbled punt recovery by yet another DB, Jarrett Bush.

All three play a large part in both the special teams and the defensive pass coverage. They will be joined this year by rookie Patrick Lee. The competition will be fast and furious, but Blackmon has the ability to be among the elite, if his health doesn't betray him.

Blackmon showed his versatility at Boston College, where he played both CB and WR. Plus, Blackmon finished his college career only 119 yards shy of being the all-time kickoff returner in NCAA D1-A history.

The Packers are looking for depth at CB, as aging, but very competent veterans Al Harris and Charles Woodson return as starters. The Packers tried Bush, Williams and Blackmon at the nickel back position in 2007 with moderate success. The team then drafted Lee this year to help fight for that job and provide depth. One of those players will be the nickel back this year, and also eventually a starter at CB as father time will eventually catch up to Harris and Woodson.

In only a brief glimpse of what Blackmon can do, he has showed the Packer faithful that he has Travis Williams-like attributes as a game changer. Williams helped bring Lombardi his last championship in Green Bay. Likewise, Howard did the same thing when the Packers won their last championship. Blackmon has that potential. But Williams and Bush, plus rookie Pat Lee will push him on defense. Williams and another rookie, Jordy Nelson, will push him in the return game. It's all about having the ability to change a game. But you have to be healthy and suited up to play for that opportunity.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"IF" is a big word. But you never know, he may come on strong and remain healthy. But he has to prove that of course, or he will be the odd man out. The coaches will only put up with it for so long, before they cut their losses.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock: I'd be pleasantly surprised to just see Blackmon in a game, even a pre-season one. Of course, the coaches are going to build up his abilities, they seem to do that every year with many of their picks. Guess it goes with the job, always put a positive spin on a players abilities and capabilities. So far neither harrell nor Blackmon have made any telling contributions to the team or the game.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the thing, the injuries that Blackmon has had are as such that you can't play through them. You have to heal. Some guys bodies just aren't built for professional football. I think Blackmon is one of them.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple years ago Boise State played Boston College in a bowl game. Wil Blackmon almost single handedly beat us. He was everywhere because he played both sides of the ball AND special teams. I really was excited when GB drafted him, but he has been owned by the injury bug...too bad. Hopefully he can have a few healthy seasons to show what he can do.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You made the poll too easy. "He's a playmaker when he's healthy" is too obvious an option. Your three choices might as well have been "Yes", "No" and "Maybe".

Blackmon has obvious talent and potential - that's what got him drafted in the first place. But it's all for naught if he can't stay on the field. Is it possible for me to be hopeful but not optimistic?

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think a broken foot would be a recurring injury. I was extremely upset when he hurt it the second time. I went to BC and followed his college game closely - he always stood out as a "star" or "playmaker" on the field. He has the size, speed and quickness, and body control to be a very good corner in the NFL. Plus he's a nice guy, chatted him up for a while at Fan Fest while all the other autograph seekers waited patiently in line. I can't say for sure if he'll make it, but as far as I understand it he's trying hard to be healthy and to be a football player. I hope the fans and coaches continue to support him. He could easily be a solid replacement for Harris when the time comes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts