Will Atari get beat out by Burnett?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we all know by now that Atari has finally signed his RFA tender and looks like he'll be showing up to camp on time: Atari Bigby signs his tender | ProFootballTalk.com

Question is, will he lose his starting spot? I know Burnett is a rookie but it's not that surprising to see a rookie safety get thrown into the fire like that, especially if he's really, really good as everyone is expecting.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the question is will Burnett beat Bigby. The fact is still that it's Bigby who has the fully grasp of the playbook, and it's Bigby who has played, and well, in regular season games.

Burnett will have to show he has a fully understanding of the playbook and of the calls he's supposed to make, as well as show the game isn't too fast for him at this instance, to take Bigby's spot.

I don't see him doing it, not in the first games, at least.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Agreed with RS. Brunett may be able to land the starting role sometime this season (especially if Bigby goes down with another injury), But I just don't see Bigby sitting the bench first snap of Regular Season. He's a great safety that can hit HARD! I love that about him. His main problem is his durability, and for that reason I am happy to have Burnett on CALL

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby will be the starter at the beginning of the season, but I expect Burnett to win the job no later than midway through the season. Bigby is a liability in pass coverage and since our depth at CB is questionable if Burnett shows any improvement over Bigby in that area he should take over the job. I think what we have to gain from his ballhawking abilities outweigh what we would lose in Bigby's run support. I have faith in our front 3 and LBs to handle that.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was such a backer of Atari since 2007, but his coverage last year when we got torched by Favre twice, Big Ben, and Warner disturbed me. A safety has to be able to help out sometimes...... it can't all be the CBs fault right?
And then when he went out lame in that Cardinal game when we needed him?

I've soured a bit on Bigby, but I think he's your opening day starter in Philly and he Jack Tatum-KO's DeSean Jackson on a deep post overthrow from Kevin Ty Kolb.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was such a backer of Atari since 2007, but his coverage last year when we got torched by Favre twice, Big Ben, and Warner disturbed me. A safety has to be able to help out sometimes...... it can't all be the CBs fault right?
And then when he went out lame in that Cardinal game when we needed him?

I've soured a bit on Bigby, but I think he's your opening day starter in Philly and he Jack Tatum-KO's DeSean Jackson on a deep post overthrow from Kevin Ty Kolb.

Completely agree. The thing about Capers' zone concept is that he likes to put both of them in deep coverage, for those long out routes and streaks. That's why you need safeties with tons of range, pretty much explains the Burnett pick and why Collins made an easy transition. IMO Bigby fits better in our old man-to-man cover scheme where he's playing against a TE or a back in the box. That's where I believe he excels at.

Actually I don't think Bigby played in the first Vikings game, Derrick Martin was the starter at SS. I blame him partially for the TD given up at the end of the Steelers game since he was supposed to provide help over the top for Josh Bell. As for the Cardinals game, he completely gave up. I remember Greg Jennings asking him on the sideline what was up, Bigby had absolutely nothing to say. He just shrugged and stayed out for all or most of the second half.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree. The thing about Capers' zone concept is that he likes to put both of them in deep coverage, for those long out routes and streaks. That's why you need safeties with tons of range, pretty much explains the Burnett pick and why Collins made an easy transition. IMO Bigby fits better in our old man-to-man cover scheme where he's playing against a TE or a back in the box. That's where I believe he excels at.

Actually I don't think Bigby played in the first Vikings game, Derrick Martin was the starter at SS. I blame him partially for the TD given up at the end of the Steelers game since he was supposed to provide help over the top for Josh Bell. As for the Cardinals game, he completely gave up. I remember Greg Jennings asking him on the sideline what was up, Bigby had absolutely nothing to say. He just shrugged and stayed out for all or most of the second half.

Where did you see this? If that's true, ****, give the job to Burnett. No damn quitters on the Packers. No one else gave up when we were down by 17 in that game. That makes me angry.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like a fight for this position. We have great LB's and a good line. Our CB's have needed work(save Woodson). Getting a lil old and was happy to see a few draft picks addressing this.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did you see this? If that's true, ****, give the job to Burnett. No damn quitters on the Packers. No one else gave up when we were down by 17 in that game. That makes me angry.

You can go back and replay the Cardinals wildcard game, although I doubt the replays on NFL.com doesn't show sideline shots, and you can see Bigby come out of the game because pf something wrong with his knee. Afterwards Jennings goes over to ask him if he's OK or whatever. I think it was a couple of drives after Giordano subbed into the game.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby knows his contract is coming near the end. He wants to get payed. I am sure he doesn't care if its the Packers next year or the Bills. Well maybe he does care.....lol... but if he wants the big money next year, he better kick some tail this year. If not...........Burnett will.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
split time by end of season is my prediction but its seriously way to early to even guess since training camp hasnt started yet

Members online

Latest posts