Will Aaron Rodgers be great this year?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is rising as among the best QB's in the league, considered to be in a first "tier" group. That's exciting to think that he can be the best, In his young "starting" career. They say that no QB has ever produced as many yards and touchdowns in their first 2 seasons starting. The more you read this stuff, you just can't help but get more excited for what is to come. I believe that Aaron Rodgers has the ability to be great. Will we see another year in which Aaron out does himself, throws less then 7 interceptions, makes more plays, dominates again on 3rd downs, throw for over 4000 yards again? Is it possible that Aaron Rodgers has set himself up for a big let down? I don't think so, I believe he will outdo himself again, because the sting of losing that game in Arizona is going to be in his thoughts throughout this whole off season. I think that harsh loss is going to make him step it up into a whole other gear! I don't mean stats, I mean him putting teams away and winning games. Aaron Rodgers is going to the Super-Bowl. It's a bold statement, it's an opinion, it's slightly biased, but I truly believe it's going to happen.:suicide::viksux::chisux:

Attachments

• aaron-rodgers.412.tx.jpg
    aaron-rodgers.412.tx.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 121

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark my words...he will CRUSH it this season. This guy is only on his way up, and the Packers will SWEEP THE NFC NORTH. There are tougher games ahead this year, but postseason appearence is a lock.

GO PACK GO!!!!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I am pretty sure we have a new great QB, and I also believe that he will have a great year this year. It was pretty upsetting his first year as starting QB that he was doing good but our defense was allowing too many touchdowns. He has a bunch of recievers to throw to now, and well he can always run, and with how much criticism our O-Line had, we better have got that fixed.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't worry about Rodgers at all. He is already great in my opinion.
He should have been the #1 overall pick, and he was ready after 2 years to take over.

He's smart, and has all the throws in his arsenal.

I like our WR depth 4-deep. There aren't any better WR sets 1-4 in the NFL in my opinion. Not only in talent and ability, but those guys (James and Jordy) are ready now.

The only thing holding Rodgers back from greatness is his ability, check that, his track record, to come up big on final drives when we need to score a TD. And more importantly, the ability of the defense and special teams to button down and hold leads and not let great QBs carve us up.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't worry about Rodgers at all. He is already great in my opinion.
He should have been the #1 overall pick, and he was ready after 2 years to take over.

He's smart, and has all the throws in his arsenal.

I like our WR depth 4-deep. There aren't any better WR sets 1-4 in the NFL in my opinion. Not only in talent and ability, but those guys (James and Jordy) are ready now.

The only thing holding Rodgers back from greatness is his ability, check that, his track record, to come up big on final drives when we need to score a TD. And more importantly, the ability of the defense and special teams to button down and hold leads and not let great QBs carve us up.
I think Rodgers has 1 big area to improve, which is taking sacks.

I've heard some people say that 50% of the sacks were his fault, which is preposturous.

But he did have much more blame than most QBs.

He has a tendency to hold onto the ball, but the most important part is that he's hesitant to dump off to the checkdown receiver. But he did get much better late in the season, when we started winning.

If he's able to play like he did agains AZ, I don't think anybody can stop us. Like you said, the D and ST need to at least not kill us...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Rodgers and Jennings work on their timing... that should NEVER happen again.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking as Rodgers gains more experience he won't hold onto the ball like he does at times now. I suppose a sack is better than a pick but knowing when to throw it into the seats is even better when there is nothing there. Then you can come back for one more down without it being 3rd and a mile. ;-)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking as Rodgers gains more experience he won't hold onto the ball like he does at times now. I suppose a sack is better than a pick but knowing when to throw it into the seats is even better when there is nothing there. Then you can come back for one more down without it being 3rd and a mile. ;-)
There is that thing, though. I believe most times Rodgers took a sack by holding the ball too long, it was already 3rd and long, and all we lost was punt position... I don't remember we losing FG position because Arod took a sack.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the preseason last year one of the color commentators for the Green Bay Packers gave the viewers an insight as to what Rodgers did in the '09 offseason. He said that Rodgers hung out with Tom Brady at their hometown in California where he learned a few pointers from him. Tom told Rodgers to list 3 things that he would really like to improve upon and focus on those things throughout the course of practices. I believe Rodgers said that the 3 he listed were: the post route, footwork and throwing on the move. I think Rodgers showed us last season that he did work on those things. I'm hoping that he put getting the ball out quicker for this offseason.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
dunno if Brady's the one I'd take pointers from on throwing on the move, but the guy is a A class athlete, and now so is Rodgers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dunno if Brady's the one I'd take pointers from on throwing on the move, but the guy is a A class athlete, and now so is Rodgers.

It didn't mean that Rodgers would learn those 3 things from Brady but that he learned to choose 3 things themselves to work on. Most QBs like to work on everything all at once which may overwhelm their development. Anyways who better to tutor Rodgers than a 3 time superbowl winning QB.

dude

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Aaron Rodgers be a great QB this year? NO. He has to prove he can do it late in the game still.
I agree. Rodgers is very good but his abilities and confidence are still building, as is the rest of the team. ARod will be considered great when everyone does their job... Rodgers, the team, and the coaching staff. As an organization they need to demonstrate: 1) that the coaching staff can coach players up and make significant halftime and 4th quarter adjustments; 2) the offense can maintain posession (no freakin' penalties!), score TDs in the red zone and burn or preserve the clock when needed, and; 3) the defense can run other team's offenses off the field late in games.

For Rodgers to be great, everyone has to be very good, if not great, in their own roles. Archie Manning was a great quarterback who never won anything and isn't considered great. He was alone.

C

cvg_crazy

Rodgers will be great this year, yes he will have a year or so when he goes downhill maybe but what Rodger needs to do now that he's started for 2 seasons has a few of the bugs worked out and knows he's dependable he needs to take a lesson from Favre, have fun Rodgers. its a sport you love to play and i want to see you and the team enjoying the game, its something a few teams seem to be missing and its something Rodgers needs.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers has fun playing. I know he has fun winning lol. I think he laready is great. He is the first quarterback in NFL history to but up back to back 4000 yard passing seasons in the first two seasons as a starter. Thats a record Favre doesn't have. I think that with the O-Line straightened out, ARod is geared to have an insane year. Finley is healthy and improving. Driver is Driver which means he is a beast. Jennings is as good of a deep threat as any in the league. Nelson and Jones are great 3 and 4 guys. If Starks is as bigg of a sleeper in this draft as I think he was, and with his catching ablilty, he should make some big plays for ARod too. Its going to be fun to watch.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Greatness in QBs in the NFL is measured by SBs.

Which means that QB's that could be considered better than Rodgers are Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Which means that QB's that could be considered better than Rodgers are Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

Rodgers career isnt over smartass, so lets not compare yet.

I guess just assuming everyone would know that top 10 defenses of all time would be the exception but I guess not...

Bart Starr > Brett Favre

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only thing is, those QBs never played very well. They were regular at best.

You can make a case that Eli is better than Rodgers, though. Rodgers has way better performances and stats than Eli, but Eli has won by himself some games, and was fundamental to the Giants' SB win, which you can't say the same about Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer...

One guy that gets forgotten IMHO is Phil Simms. I'd take him over Jim Kelly...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing is, those QBs never played very well. They were regular at best.

You can make a case that Eli is better than Rodgers, though. Rodgers has way better performances and stats than Eli, but Eli has won by himself some games, and was fundamental to the Giants' SB win, which you can't say the same about Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer...

One guy that gets forgotten IMHO is Phil Simms. I'd take him over Jim Kelly...

That's certainly an intriguing point of debate. One can say that Rodgers is statistically the better QB than Eli. However everyone will remember that one play that Eli made to Tyree as the best play in SB history. Now let's sub in Rodgers for Eli, would Rodgers have made the same moves as Eli on that play?

Members online

Latest posts