Will a running game emerge?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's october folks and you know what's around the corner right? The frozen tundra is nearing and we still have no running game to go along with a prolific passing game which doesn't bold well.

Rodgers is the best there is however he can't do it alone...we are going to need to to have a guy who can be a threat running the ball. At least 70 yards a game i'll be estatic with. We could not run the ball yesterday and that has to be fixed because when you have a big lead you need to be able to run the clock out. Starks was nowhere to be found yesterday so i don't expect to see him next year.

This team needs to make a play for a rb before the trade deadline if you ask me. I mentioned Tate from Houston a while back and i stand by that. A guy who is a 1 cut runner and would already know how to run in a zone blocking scheme.

BrettsFavor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at what happen with Benson...he would be rated by most as "very solid"; and he was on track to 1000 yards, easy. Cobb had no issues getting yards either.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green has the tools, but he needs time. He was coached at Hawaii to hit the hole with fervor and to get whatever he could, so he really needs help being patient with his blocks in our ZBS.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like Green don't get me wrong but not as the starter. He runs high and i've never seen him punish anyone...he's a finese guy who can't push a pile to get extra yardage like Kuhn or even Benson. We need a guy who can stay on the field all three downs as well as grind out yards to run the clock out.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think those hoping for a RB trade are going to get their wish. From Thompson's point of view I think he sees the real possibility of Benson coming back late this season - he's on the "new" IR list which allows that - and they have Starks in reserve while seeing if Green can be more than a third down guy. Remember 2010? Thompson depended upon the return to active status of an untested Starks. This season not only does he have Starks but he may be depending upon a guy he "knows" is good enough in Benson.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Green has had enough time to show us his skills, and he is lacking down field vision and cut back ability. Starks is just a plain ol' burn out. He had his spark of glory and now is nagged with the same ol' injury week after week. Sad that Benson got hurt, he was developing in our system at a quick pace. I hope this new guy we picked up from Buffalo works out, lord knows we need him.

Before all the Green lovera come in an hate on me, look at the film....he gets one maybe 2 decent runs all game, most of the time he is stuffed for 1 or 2 yard gains or he is going backwards and getting negative yardage. I would rather have a more consistant RB that gets me 4 yards per carry average and does not break off huge runs. I would rather he wear out a defense, eat up the clock, and chew up smaller chunks of yardage to set up a big pass play.

Running back quaility and consistancy has been a thorn in our sides for some time now.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The experiment at RB needs to end. We need talent.
It had ended. And it was fixed. Then Benson got injured and went on IR. I don't know what more anyone could reasonably expect. How many solid rb's do you think a team can consistently find and add to their roster? - One; if they're lucky. A few teams will have two. And none of those teams have the stable of WR's we have. You have Aaron Rodgers on your roster, you stock WR's, not RB's.

I've said it a bunch of times, SOLID rb's are few and far between. We got one. Great pickup by Thompson. You think there's a glut of Cedric Bensons out there, able to do what he did, at this point in the season? You're dreaming.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Green fan, but I also like the idea of giving it to Kuhn more. The one thing with Kuhn is the man will "will his way" to two yards every carry pretty much.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ problem is we need more than 2 yards per carry to keep the defense honest about the run game. Even if Benson didn't fully acclimate to our system yet, his name alone was enough to sell the run on most fake run plays. Plus I liked the fact that when he did run he wasn't afraid to lower his pads and play smash mouth ball. Not to mention he fought forward for extra yardage each and every time pushing the pile for extra yds.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^Believe me I know...but at the same token I would place a large bet that if you handed the ball to Kuhn 20 times, he'd get you 50 hard earned yards every single game. Kuhn wouldn't be a shot at the game changing 40+ yarders but that dude could break a few 10 yard gains here and there. Green got us what 38 on 20 carries....just saying. I loved having Benson back there and I'm pretty sure Rodgers did too :)

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Kuhn isnt built to have 20+ carries, he would poop out. He is a better short yardage Fb, getting us a needed 3rd and 1 or a goal line stand type FB, punching it in down in the trench. He is big and slow, not nearly as light footed and crafty as a RB is. Kuhn is a bull dozer, not a muscle car...lol.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me a bull dozer willing to run till it dies over what we're getting :) haha! I like knowing what I'm getting....I just don't have a clue what we're gonna get out of Green and it drives me crazy! I hope he proves he can do it and restore the faith I had in him when we drafted him!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ staying positive is a good thing, wish I could be more like you on that aspect.....but....Green is not a problem solver for us, he is barely a fix for the issue.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel ya, if another Ced Ben is out there we should get him...but I just don't see a name out there available or one on another team someone would trade for with us. Who'd we give up...whole different discussion :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Another RB thread?

LOL we get these once as month...

Ted wont pull the trigger on s big name back (Lynch in 2010) what we have is what we will have unless one gets hurt.

My guess is that Benson will be back for the end of season and playoffs if they make it

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM'sphilosophy is attempts not yards...well Mikey boy that won't work against the top teams because no one is going to bite on play action if the guy running the ball is going sideways or backwards on a consistent basis.

adallastiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign DeAngelo Williams! Given the status of that team he could probably be a relatively cheap pickup. Would be huge, and I bet once the current front office situation of Carolina is cleared up, he would be available.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sign DeAngelo Williams! Given the status of that team he could probably be a relatively cheap pickup. Would be huge, and I bet once the current front office situation of Carolina is cleared up, he would be available.
D. Williams will NOT be cheap. His last contract wasn't. Plus, he is always a health concern. He wouldn't be a good producer for GB, we don't have the O line to support his run style.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D. Williams will NOT be cheap. His last contract wasn't. Plus, he is always a health concern. He wouldn't be a good producer for GB, we don't have the O line to support his run style.

I agree. He does have health issues but i disagree he wouldn't fit our style of blocking. He's a one cut guy who can catch. But like you said...he may be to pricey.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Hannah! Give Green a chance. He's basically a rookie playing his second game! So far ball security hasn't been an issue, the kid can catch the ball...so I'm not ready to throw the towel in on him. I'm pretty sure that I saw each O-lineman get pushed back on one play or another; so let's see if Green and the OL can get on the same page before we start debating how TT is never going to trade/pickup a stud RB! Lucky thing for most of us that we weren't critiqued as harshly after our 2nd week on the job. :)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not going to change. This offense will continue with the amount of carries it gives and churn along just fine.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
NO.......and no. Packers have not had a running game in years. If Rodgers has a bad day, the Packers have a bad day. Simple as that.

Members online

Latest posts