Why would the Packers draft a safety who's afraid to hit.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont remember wanting anyone in particular after we passed up Crabtree. I remember being hesitant and intrigued by them drafting a player that didnt start all that many games. I think I was so surprised we traded up I figured he had to be worth it in teds eyes.

From what I heard through a couple of sources they had Crabtree rated slightly higher than B. J. Raji. But Raji fit a need as a NT and the were going to 3/4 defense. Although some in the draft room wanted Crabtree there were major concerns about his attitude and a foot injury that required surgery shortly before the draft. He wasn't able to run the 40. Also he measured out at 6'1" much shorter than his listed height in college (6'4") There were just too many red flags on him for them to pull the trigger.The player that they coveted the most was OT Andre Smith. Even though he wouldn't participate at the combine and his body looked awful at his pro day workout the Packers would have selected him at 9 if available. When he went a few picks earlier to the Bengals the Packers were still happy that Raji was available. Crabtree never was in the equation. It was always Smith or Raji. If both were gone it's my understanding that Thompson had his eye on 2 players(Clay Mathews and Michael Oher) and would've tried to trade down in the 1st and draft either of them. If there were no traders he would have selected one of them at 9 most likely Mathews.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see lots of potential from #42. maybe the OP thinks 42 is sharper. i like the speed this kid has and after he gets some experience i think he will be a great fit. watchig one preseason game he was no where to be seen then all of a sudden i was like..... where the hell did hecome from? total speed. give him a chance. i like him!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I heard through a couple of sources they had Crabtree rated slightly higher than B. J. Raji. But Raji fit a need as a NT and the were going to 3/4 defense. Although some in the draft room wanted Crabtree there were major concerns about his attitude and a foot injury that required surgery shortly before the draft. He wasn't able to run the 40. Also he measured out at 6'1" much shorter than his listed height in college (6'4") There were just too many red flags on him for them to pull the trigger.The player that they coveted the most was OT Andre Smith. Even though he wouldn't participate at the combine and his body looked awful at his pro day workout the Packers would have selected him at 9 if available. When he went a few picks earlier to the Bengals the Packers were still happy that Raji was available. Crabtree never was in the equation. It was always Smith or Raji. If both were gone it's my understanding that Thompson had his eye on 2 players(Clay Mathews and Michael Oher) and would've tried to trade down in the 1st and draft either of them. If there were no traders he would have selected one of them at 9 most likely Mathews.

Leap of faith - JSOnline

Crabtree was the highest player on the board going in according to multiple sources.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leap of faith - JSOnline

Crabtree was the highest player on the board going in according to multiple sources.

That's true. As I mentioned in my post the Packers had Crabtree rated slightly higher than Raji. They also had Andre Smith rated higher than Raji but also below Crabtree. They wanted Smith but he wasn't available. At the time of their selection Crabtree was still available and even though he was rated the highest the Packers took Raji instead. They weren't going to take Crabtree because of the injury and issues with his attitude. I'm sure for the sake of rating players they probably had Mathew Stafford up near the top but if he for some reason fell there is no way they would select him. Even though they like to say they always take the best player available, need and character always factors in. Picking at #9 in the 1st their wish list was 1. Andre Smith 2 B.J. Raji 3. Clay Mathews and 4. Michael Oher. After getting Raji in the first, there is a reason they traded a 2 and 2-3's to get back in the 1st to take Mathews. They had Mathews rated very high and might have even considered him at #9 if Raji was gone. I'm even 100% sure given the choice of Crabtree or Mathews the Packers would have taken Mathews hands down.

Members online

Latest posts