Why we didnt need to draft another DB

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Now I know a lot of people are mad about the fact that TT didnt draft for "Need" and get a couple more db's. Here are some reasons that I've come up with why the packers secondary is alright:

#1: there were only two games in which the secondary did not play so good. The Steelers game and the Cardinals playoff game.

#2 Jarret Bush won't be starting any games

#3 NFL Videos: NFL GameDay: Packers vs. Cardinals highlights Watch the highlights again, now when you aren't blinded by rage like I was after the game. We should have won that game if we had a true SS or even an adequate one, all the TD's are either Bigby's, or Giordano's fault, or they should have been offensive pass interference on larry fitz. Our CB's played strong

#4 TT drafted burnett a safety, and arguably the biggest position of need next to OL.

#5 TT thinks next years draft class of db's will be better than this year's

#6 TT added pass rush on the D-Line which is just as good as adding secondary help

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know a lot of people are mad about the fact that TT didnt draft for "Need" and get a couple more db's. Here are some reasons that I've come up with why the packers secondary is alright:
#1: there were only two games in which the secondary did not play so good. The Steelers game and the Cardinals playoff game.
#2 Jarret Bush won't be starting any games
#3 NFL Videos: NFL GameDay: Packers vs. Cardinals highlights Watch the highlights again, now when you aren't blinded by rage like I was after the game. We should have won that game if we had a true SS or even an adequate one, all the TD's are either Bigby's, or Giordano's fault, or they should have been offensive pass interference on larry fitz. Our CB's played strong
#4 TT drafted burnett a safety, and arguably the biggest position of need next to OL.
#5 TT thinks next years draft class of db's will be better than this year's.
#6 TT added pass rush on the D-Line which is just as good as adding secondary help
I agree with much of what you said except #5.
I don't believe for a moment that TT failed to address this position because he feels next year's draft crop will be better.
A- That's no way to run a team.
B- Next years crop of CB's probably won't be as deep as this years, a draft that many experts called one of the deepest in years.

And let's pray that your #2 is correct !

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I felt the non press rush was more of an issue than the players back there

not saying there isnt an issue..

Just feel that having a pass rush, that on paper could be 50% better is MORE important then adding more players in the back..

Because all your doing is allowing the q/b more time and as the saying goes..Give ANY q/b time he can pick apart a secondary

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with much of what you said except #5.
I don't believe for a moment that TT failed to address this position because he feels next year's draft crop will be better.
A- That's no way to run a team.
B- Next years crop of CB's probably won't be as deep as this years, a draft that many experts called one of the deepest in years.

And let's pray that your #2 is correct !

I agree with you, saying that you're going to draft a good player next year instead of this season is no way to build a team. All you're really doing is saying that this year is a trial run and there's always next year. That's certainly not an attitude to keep when you're so close to contending for a superbowl.

This year's draft was deep overall but in terms of CBs it wasn't that great. I think next year's CB class is a thousand times better than this year's. Compare Ras-I Dowling, Prince Amukamara, Patrick Peterson to Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson and Patrick Robinson and you'll see a difference. I know it's early but as of right now the three CB prospects that I mentioned are all considered top 10 worthy.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to rethink the idea that pass rush was the true weak point of our defense. If you take a look at some of the following plays, you'll notice that coverage issues hurt us more than getting after Warner:

1:09 - Warner dumped it off to the reciever in the middle who was supposed to be covered by Bigby. Our pass rush couldn't get a chance to get there since Warner released the ball in like 1 second. Had Bigby played his assignment correctly our rushers would've gotten more time to at least hit the QB.

2:18 - Our pass rush managed to collapse the pocket but Woodson fell down while trying to cover the middle. Clay Matthews and Cullen Jenkins were right in Warner's face and even got a hit on him. Had Woodson not fell and continued covering, one of those two definitely would've made the sack.

4:45 - Matthews and Brad Jones forced Warner to step up in the pocket where Jenkins found the inside lane to register a hit. However Warner already released the ball by then to Larry Fitzgerald. This play was the blatant pass intereference that wasn't called against him but as you can see, Giordano wasn't quite spectacular at covering his half of the field either.

6:34 - This is the only play where I thought both coverage and pass rush was really good. BJ Raji managed to beat his man on a clear path to sacking Warner and Tramon Williams blanketed Steve Breaston entirely. However Warner was able to lob the ball right before Raji made the hit and Williams mistimed his deflection.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
your right when Brett had over 6 secs to throw the ball its all the secondary's fault

I was speaking in "general" terms..

Given the choices of pass rush or secondary give me pass rush

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of many teams' defenses that would be very stellar if they had to depend upon their #6 DB on the depth chart and a street FA picked up late in the season to play in their nickel and dime packages. I feel certain TT and MM never dreamed they'd have to trot out Bush in those circumstances last season! :fie: When one part of your defense is hit like that you're gonna have problems. But knowing Lee, Underwood, Blackmon and eventually Harris returning TT probably didn't feel panicky like some of us fans. He probably figured the guys on the roster coming back off IR will be just as effective if not more than some raw rookie so he addressed other issues like the D line pass rush.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to rethink the idea that pass rush was the true weak point of our defense. If you take a look at some of the following plays, you'll notice that coverage issues hurt us more than getting after Warner:

1:09 - Warner dumped it off to the reciever in the middle who was supposed to be covered by Bigby. Our pass rush couldn't get a chance to get there since Warner released the ball in like 1 second. Had Bigby played his assignment correctly our rushers would've gotten more time to at least hit the QB.

2:18 - Our pass rush managed to collapse the pocket but Woodson fell down while trying to cover the middle. Clay Matthews and Cullen Jenkins were right in Warner's face and even got a hit on him. Had Woodson not fell and continued covering, one of those two definitely would've made the sack.

4:45 - Matthews and Brad Jones forced Warner to step up in the pocket where Jenkins found the inside lane to register a hit. However Warner already released the ball by then to Larry Fitzgerald. This play was the blatant pass intereference that wasn't called against him but as you can see, Giordano wasn't quite spectacular at covering his half of the field either.

6:34 - This is the only play where I thought both coverage and pass rush was really good. BJ Raji managed to beat his man on a clear path to sacking Warner and Tramon Williams blanketed Steve Breaston entirely. However Warner was able to lob the ball right before Raji made the hit and Williams mistimed his deflection.

great evaluation

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I do think DB was a need going into the draft TT did a good job solidifying our future with this draft. My biggest concern is the now though.

I can see where TT is coming from because on one hand he still has Pat Lee and many forget he was a 2nd round pick and has a lot of potential to be another Al Harris. Scouts said in that draft the Lee was one of the best press man corners in the draft class. We also still have Tramon Williams and Woodson. Concern may be that Harris is probably going to be either on the PUP (Cant play until week 6) or will be very limited much like Nick Barnett last season until hes truly 100%.

As far as next years draft class being stronger than this one, I doubt it. This years draft class I felt was the strongest it has been years in three categories. OT, S, and CB. We secured two of those positions but I was really hoping TT would have made a play for either Donovan Warren or Crezdon Butler, both seocnd round prospects coming into the college season but slipped considerably to the back end of the draft.

Drafting Burnett was big. I felt Burnett was one of the best safeties in the draft. He really fell off his senior campaign but he has the best ball skills in the draft for a defensive player. He should take the job from Atari but I think like Matthews and Raji we'll just work him in and when we feel ready he'll play.

TT did go pass rush over coverage in this draft. The addition of two pretty solid DEs will help collapse the pocket and help Clay and Jones get after the QB. It will also keep our Dline fresh while Olines will get weary.

Overall I feel the X-factor to our whole defense is how well can Brad Jones rush the passer. Clay is going to get his sacks but not if the offense can just key on him all game. Jones is going to have to keep offenses guessing by getting off his blocks more effectively. Hes going to have to keep his weight up also. A LOLB in the 3-4 cannot be under 240 and the ideal LOLB is usually a good 250+.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I do think DB was a need going into the draft TT did a good job solidifying our future with this draft. My biggest concern is the now though.

I can see where TT is coming from because on one hand he still has Pat Lee and many forget he was a 2nd round pick and has a lot of potential to be another Al Harris. Scouts said in that draft the Lee was one of the best press man corners in the draft class. We also still have Tramon Williams and Woodson. Concern may be that Harris is probably going to be either on the PUP (Cant play until week 6) or will be very limited much like Nick Barnett last season until hes truly 100%.

As far as next years draft class being stronger than this one, I doubt it. This years draft class I felt was the strongest it has been years in three categories. OT, S, and CB. We secured two of those positions but I was really hoping TT would have made a play for either Donovan Warren or Crezdon Butler, both seocnd round prospects coming into the college season but slipped considerably to the back end of the draft.

Drafting Burnett was big. I felt Burnett was one of the best safeties in the draft. He really fell off his senior campaign but he has the best ball skills in the draft for a defensive player. He should take the job from Atari but I think like Matthews and Raji we'll just work him in and when we feel ready he'll play.

TT did go pass rush over coverage in this draft. The addition of two pretty solid DEs will help collapse the pocket and help Clay and Jones get after the QB. It will also keep our Dline fresh while Olines will get weary.

Overall I feel the X-factor to our whole defense is how well can Brad Jones rush the passer. Clay is going to get his sacks but not if the offense can just key on him all game. Jones is going to have to keep offenses guessing by getting off his blocks more effectively. Hes going to have to keep his weight up also. A LOLB in the 3-4 cannot be under 240 and the ideal LOLB is usually a good 250+.

Couldn't have said that last part better myself.

I agree that this draft was deep overall but like I stated before I like the CBs that are coming out next season better than this year's class.

Members online

Latest posts