why TT will take a wr sooner than later

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones although not getting a lot of attention now will find a home soon but I don't see it being back in Green Bay. Pittsburgh or San Diego I see as potential suitors. I like Boykin but I'm not as high on him as some of you guys are . I really would like to see another big wr with vertical speed added to the roster. I wouldn't be upset tho if Teddy takes aberderris in the third however. Picks like Jennings, Cobb, Nelson, and Jones have all come outside the second round so if there's a position that the GB scouts have an eye for it seems to be wr. I really like JJ .

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones although not getting a lot of attention now will find a home soon but I don't see it being back in Green Bay. Pittsburgh or San Diego I see as potential suitors. I like Boykin but I'm not as high on him as some of you guys are . I really would like to see another big wr with vertical speed added to the roster. I wouldn't be upset tho if Teddy takes aberderris in the third however. Picks like Jennings, Cobb, Nelson, and Jones have all come outside the second round so if there's a position that the GB scouts have an eye for it seems to be wr. I really like JJ .

I know this is a longshot but what about a guy like Kenny Britt? I know he has some injury concerns and comes with some baggage but in a new setting he may flourish. He made the move to bring Koren Robinson in a few years back. Im reaching I know but I wouldn't hate a move like that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this is a longshot but what about a guy like Kenny Britt? I know he has some injury concerns and comes with some baggage but in a new setting he may flourish. He made the move to bring Koren Robinson in a few years back. Im reaching I know but I wouldn't hate a move like that.

He is a traffic ticket away from being banned for life by Roger.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picks like Jennings, Cobb, Nelson, and Jones have all come outside the second round so if there's a position that the GB scouts have an eye for it seems to be wr. I really like JJ .

I don't mean to be a ****, but Jennings, Cobb, and Jordy were all taken in the second round. JJ was taken in the 3rd when we refused to give up the same in order to deal for Moss.

To your point, it's apparently a deep draft for WRs. TT will almost assuredly take one. I'd like to see one that could combine as our KR too.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean to be a ****, but Jennings, Cobb, and Jordy were all taken in the second round. JJ was taken in the 3rd when we refused to give up the same in order to deal for Moss.

To your point, it's apparently a deep draft for WRs. TT will almost assuredly take one. I'd like to see one that could combine as our KR too.

What I meant to say was outside the 1st and guys like Nelson ,Cobb , and Jennings in the 2nd . My mistake .

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No you make a goo point about Robinson. He had issues before he came to GB so it makes me laugh when guys act like TT has never bought a player in with a little baggage. As for Britt he's ok but he's another Boykin. Big bodied guy with good hands but won't blow by many corners. I want a guy who can take a simple slant for 80 yds in a blink of an eye. Percy Harvin or corderelle Patterson style!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No you make a goo point about Robinson. He had issues before he came to GB so it makes me laugh when guys act like TT has never bought a player in with a little baggage. As for Britt he's ok but he's another Boykin. Big bodied guy with good hands but won't blow by many corners. I want a guy who can take a simple slant for 80 yds in a blink of an eye. Percy Harvin or corderelle Patterson style!

Isn't that Cobb?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more in the camp of letting TT show his wide-receiver-drafting-prowess by plucking a guy in the 4th or 5th round, leaving more of the higher picks for defense and TE. He probably won't wait that long though if whatever guy he has his eye on, is still on the board in the mid rounds.

You're not going to find big and fast much outside of the first round.

ReggieLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got a text that JJ has signed with Oakland. Projections say we will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for jennings, at least a 4th rd pick(as well as a 6th rd pick for Eric Walden). 5 picks from the first 4 rounds. That should give ted the flexibility to take a WR, I hope. I like Martavis Bryant from Clemson, but I'm not sure he's a kick return guy. It will be a very interesting draft, and an important one.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a guess but one of the things that may have made James Jones expendable is because GB signed Chris Harper a 4th Rd pick from last year out of Kansas State who is in the same mold as Jones. That would leave GB in the market for KR/WR like Brandon Cooks, Tevin Reese, or Jalen Saunders.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is actually a really inserting point. TT was for all intensive purposes "crucified" for not making that deal when Moss went on to set records with Brady in New England. Now, it's still likely the wrong move but JJ gave us seven very solid years for probably less than $15 million and was a key contributor in our Super Bowl win.

H

HardRightEdge

Timely call, rodell.

With Jones and Finley gone, that puts us down 1.5 WRs. Quarless is not the kind of guy who will strike fear in anybody's heart split wide. Nelson and Cobb are in contract years. WR's, even the high picks, typically don't get their sea legs until year 2.

I would not be surprised in the least if Thompson goes high for a WR, perhaps as high as the first round if the right guy is there now that he's reloaded the D-Line. 2nd. or 3rd. round is the more likely scenario and a strong possibility.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a guess but one of the things that may have made James Jones expendable is because GB signed Chris Harper a 4th Rd pick from last year out of Kansas State who is in the same mold as Jones. That would leave GB in the market for KR/WR like Brandon Cooks, Tevin Reese, or Jalen Saunders.
Wasn't SF trying to make a TE out of him? Drafted and cut by Seattle and on SF practice squad.
http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/news-item?newsId=69123

H

HardRightEdge

You must be thinking of Myles White. ;)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than his untimely drops early in his career, I don't have one bad thing to say about James Jones. He was fantastic the past two season, caught every ball thrown to him in '12 and really came into his own. That said, he was "aging" by Ted's WR standards, so this is no surprise. I know Al Davis is gone and the Raiders do things differently now, but for the time being, it's still where careers go to die. I feel bad for Jones in that regards. The Raiders are still, well, the Raiders.

As for Jones being gone, Boykin got some valuable snaps last year, etc. I just hope Ted doesn't draft a WR in the 1st round when other positions (particularly safety) are more daunting needs.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myself I like Donte Moncrief. He's been under the radar lately and many think he's a draft day steal in the making. I think he could be had in the 3rd round. He's big, 6'3" 226 lbs, and athletic. Ran a 4.40.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As good as Cobb can be? No . I put an emphasis on BIG and fast with great leaping ability. Not Short and quick .
So you're saying Cobb isn't a guy who can take a slant 80 yards for a score? That's just nonsense.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to go offense in the first round he's taking Ebron at tightend there's no doubt in my mind. Otherwise it'll be defense. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with taking Wrs in the later rd. on another note I think letting JJ go was a mistake . The wr suffered a lot of injuries last yr and we had to see guys like Myles White who was no factor at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he's going to go offense in the first round he's taking Ebron at tightend there's no doubt in my mind. Otherwise it'll be defense. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with taking Wrs in the later rd. on another note I think letting JJ go was a mistake . The wr suffered a lot of injuries last yr and we had to see guys like Myles White who was no factor at all.

White played more than 10 snaps in only two games, in one of them catching five balls. I think calling him a non factor is a little bit early IMO.

Members online

Latest posts