Why the NFL Draft is a joke

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see people talk all the time about how valuable a draft pick is and how Randy Moss isnt worth a third round pick and how this other guy isnt worth that.

The draft is ridiculous. Think about this years draft. Jamarcus Russel or Brady Quinn is going to get like 50 + million dollars. How can you justify playing a guy who has never played a down that much money. First of all, regardless of how good he might be, his first 3 years are going to be crap for the most part. He might "adjust pretty well" but you dont pay a guy 5 - 10 million a year for that, do you??

Look at Adrian Peterson, he might be pretty good, might. Reggie Bush was supposed to be the second coming. Look at Mario Williams. Yea, hes a decent player but you dont pay 50+ mill for decent players.

I'd rather have Donald Driver over the number 1 receiver in the draft. I'd take Charles Woodson or Al Harris over the top corner in the draft.

Bottom line, drafting top 3 picks only hurts you for the most part. Oh, there are the occasional Peyton Mannings in there. But mostly, top 5 picks only strap your finances and 80% of the time they dont live up to their hype. I mean, any guy you can draft can be had in free agency. Even if these guys turn out to be studs, you are paying for it, and when they ask for new contracts, you will pay for it again. Developing players is crap. They will jump ship in a millisecond if it puts a little extra padding in their wallet. The fact that the team believed in them and took a chance on them and developed them means nothing. "I gotta do whats best for my family" Ever heard that before?

Reaction score
I'll move this to the Draft section, I think it's more appropriate there.

I do agree with you, it is really unfair to spend so much money on first round picks. I like the NBA system of guaranteed contracts better, and it is unfortunate that the NFLPA doesn't adopt a similar policy.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I confess I didn't read your post so I hope this meshes with it. I just wanted to say this.

Going off the title, I think the draft is somewhat of a joke too. I can't believe the size of contracts they get for playing against college kids. They're should be a set rate for each pick or each round. Something reasonable. There's no reason a vested veteran player who's proved his worth as a filler guy gets paid less than some kid out of college by tens of millions of dollars.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I confess I didn't read your post so I hope this meshes with it. I just wanted to say this.

Going off the title, I think the draft is somewhat of a joke too. I can't believe the size of contracts they get for playing against college kids. They're should be a set rate for each pick or each round. Something reasonable. There's no reason a vested veteran player who's proved his worth as a filler guy gets paid less than some kid out of college by tens of millions of dollars.

Exactly, its to the point where i want to trade out of the first round regardless of who's available.

akilli smith
Ryan Leaf
Tim Couch
Not enough time to name the rest, you get the point.

It just destroys a team when you make a big gamble like this and it turns out to be a dud.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps the title should say why NFL Contracts given to rookies are a joke.

The Draft is far from a joke. In fact it's the single most important off season event.

I do agree that the contracts are somewhat absurb especially in the top 10.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Exactly, its to the point where i want to trade out of the first round regardless of who's available.

akilli smith
Ryan Leaf
Tim Couch

It just destroys a team when you make a big gamble like this and it turns out to be a dud.

You forgot Tony Mandarich.

Zero, doesn't it take longer to type that you did not read the article than to actually read it??

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Agreed, there should be a more financial structure set in place for rookies on like a two year window to either prove they are worth the money talent wise or not. Pay them on a scale of a decent wage but not in the millions as some of these players get. To protect the player from a career ending injury, make ballclubs carry a insurance policy for those two years at a average lifetime salary of the Top 10 veterans at the position for an average length of a players career. Or something to that nature. At the end of two year they are a restricted FA and can negotiate a deal properly for themselves. Same draft pick compension as when they were selected if the ballclub chooses not to retain them.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Zero2Cool said:

akilli smith
Ryan Leaf
Tim Couch

You forgot Tony Mandarich.

Zero, doesn't it take longer to type that you did not read the article than to actually read it??

Nope. I'm at work so I have to rush and I type over 80wpm.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is the NFL draft any different than any of the other major sporting drafts?

I'm quite sure the Cavaliers made LeBron James a very wealthy man before he ever played in the NBA.

It's not like every pick is a shot in the dark. All of the rookies coming into the NFL have played at least 3 years in college so for the most part you know what you're getting with a first round pick.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "plan" for paying rookies may have merit, but it'll never happen because the NFLPA wouldn't allow it. Remember, the union gets a % of every players salary...the lower the salary, the lower cut the union gets. The union is a business like any other business. They survive as long as their customers (the players) approve of their work.

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have to disagree on the whole "the Draft is a Joke" idea.

1. I agree the amount of money they get is absurd but it is what the NFL market sets the price at.

2. There are situations where some players are locks to be pretty damn good. I mean last year the Packers were in an awesome position to have the number 5 pick with AJ Hawk projected going in that range. He was probably the safest pick out of the whole draft.

3. Yes there are busts in the draft but there are alot of players who end up being Great(see Donald Driver). It's a crapshoot but when you don't assume every pick will work out you will end up being on the plus side. That's the route Ted Thompson has taken. He turned 7 picks into 12 last draft because it just raises your chances of landing quality players.

4. When a player says he has to do what's best for his family he is exactly right. This is their life. The average NFL career is what? 4-5 years on the high side. The decisions he makes today will have a major effect on his family for generations most likely. Just because a guy goes to another team because they offered more has more to do with protecting the interests of his family than him wanting to "jump ship."

To say that the draft is a joke just because players who haven't played a down in the league get payed isn't a very smart way to look at the draft. How else do you develop a team??? How do you think the Packers would do if they decided "That's it!!! We do not want to take part in the draft because the players get payed too much." Imagine if a team were to just sign undrafted Free Agents to build depth. That would be great in your eyes right?

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see people talk all the time about how valuable a draft pick is and how Randy Moss isnt worth a third round pick and how this other guy isnt worth that.

The draft is ridiculous. Think about this years draft. Jamarcus Russel or Brady Quinn is going to get like 50 + million dollars. How can you justify playing a guy who has never played a down that much money. First of all, regardless of how good he might be, his first 3 years are going to be crap for the most part. He might "adjust pretty well" but you dont pay a guy 5 - 10 million a year for that, do you??

Look at Adrian Peterson, he might be pretty good, might. Reggie Bush was supposed to be the second coming. Look at Mario Williams. Yea, hes a decent player but you dont pay 50+ mill for decent players.

I'd rather have Donald Driver over the number 1 receiver in the draft. I'd take Charles Woodson or Al Harris over the top corner in the draft.

Bottom line, drafting top 3 picks only hurts you for the most part. Oh, there are the occasional Peyton Mannings in there. But mostly, top 5 picks only strap your finances and 80% of the time they dont live up to their hype. I mean, any guy you can draft can be had in free agency. Even if these guys turn out to be studs, you are paying for it, and when they ask for new contracts, you will pay for it again. Developing players is crap. They will jump ship in a millisecond if it puts a little extra padding in their wallet. The fact that the team believed in them and took a chance on them and developed them means nothing. "I gotta do whats best for my family" Ever heard that before?

Are you saying ... you would rather have DD over CJ on your team ... cause if you are ... CJ is a better WR even if he hasnt played a game in the nfl ... his size his speed his abilities are just too good

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone would say they'd rather have CJ right now because of DD's age, but to say he's already a better player is obscene. If you look at all the 1st round WRs, I'd say almost all of them have more natural ability than Driver. You can't call them better players until they've done something.

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now Driver is the Better receiver but the odds of Calvin Johnson being great are very good. Ask yourself this. Would you be willing to trade Driver for Johnson straight up???? I think I'd have to take that trade.

Bowechov

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I would make that trade straight up
Of course you(kmac) would cause you have some sense to your thought process. I was directing the question to mainly the guy who started the thread.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. 2 months after the draft these top prospects that everyone was excited about getting will suddenly become "dumb rookies".

2. Hawk this year has a higher cap number than Brett Favre. He just got a nearly 12 million bonus.

3. If a team does not do well in the draft they pay lots of money on undeserving players and draft high again with another chance at expensive mistakes. For years Arizona, Cincinatti, Cleveland, and Detroit drafted high on the list with little to show for it.

However, it is not a joke. It is the way it is and the system the league has which will not change much for the forseeable future.

On draft day few teams are disappointed. Like opening present on Christmas every team is better off and every fan of every team is happy because the team has "improved".

Only the vikings with their inability to turn in a name on time 2 years in a row can screw up draft day.

It's not a joke but it is good to approach it with some realism.

Members online

Latest posts