Why so many stickys?

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Do we really need over a dozen treads stickied in GBP talk? I don't understand why every topic that has the remote possibility of going over 2 pages needs to be. Just odd that you need to scoll a page and a half to get to recent topics...???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I will explain more as I too dont like so many and in fact I have on a few occasions discussed with Rob and other mods what ones we can un stick...Also sometimes us mods get focused on other things and arent aware that some threads are still stuck...

The Suh dirty player...I log on and saw 2 of them, so I merged those two, then a bit later one more appeared so I merged that one to the other 2..Didnt need 3 or 4 threads on him being dirty..And so people saw we had that started already I stuck it...It will unstick in a day or two when talk dies outs..

Every game we play we stick, and thttp://www.packerforum.com/threads/why-so-many-stickys.32223/#post-407361he previous game will remained stuck until it seems like talk has died down then goes to the archive...The Detroit game will prob go there in a day or two...

16-0, pretty self explanatory...People want to discuss it

How became a Packer fan...It seems to be a popular thread..But if others think we should un stick it let us know..

Packer chat room...This way newbies will know we have a place to go and chat about the game..

Pics--I believe mods and Rob had a talk about this and we decided to keep it a permanent sticky

So many defensive threads popped up every day, sometimes 3 or 4 new ones.....So I decided to merge all of them and to stick it, so people knew we had a thread on it already...I unstuck this one----

OP
OP
Mushroom

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Ok...thanks for explaining it ltf. It just seems like most forum let the popular ones stay bumped and the others fade away in to a natural death. Usually I'm used to seeing no more than 5 on forums.

Thanks again

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We dont want to lose those sticky threads...If you want---I can unstick them and you bump them up every other day? I am not trying to be a smart a@@, but that is only way to not lose them..

And ftr I think we have to many as well, just can't help it

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, what ones should be gone?

I unstuck the dirty Suh thread..

Now we have

Show Packer pics

The upcoming game

16-0

Stock sale

Made you a Packer fan

And two Rob stuck..

So tell me what ones should be unstuck?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stuck the Aaron Rodgers Fed Ex Air Player of the Week thread and made it official. A thread, sometimes several were popping up every week so I thought it would be easier to have them all in one place. Also that way we can have something to look back on at the end of the year.

...I don't see that thread as being stuck anymore, now that I look... it might of been unstuck?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I stuck the Aaron Rodgers Fed Ex Air Player of the Week thread and made it official. A thread, sometimes several were popping up every week so I thought it would be easier to have them all in one place. Also that way we can have something to look back on at the end of the year.

...I don't see that thread as being stuck anymore, now that I look... it might of been unstuck?

I did since he wasnt nominated the last time

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, what ones should be gone?

I unstuck the dirty Suh thread..

Now we have

Show Packer pics

The upcoming game

16-0

Stock sale

Made you a Packer fan

And two Rob stuck..

So tell me what ones should be unstuck?

I would get rid of all of them other than the rules, Pics and Official GDT honestly. There is a search function people need to start using, if something leaves the first page it is no excuse for someone to make another thread. I think it is just accommodating the lazy posters who cannot take the time to search something. Screw merging topics, lock the thread and point them to the search function.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I would get rid of all of them other than the rules, Pics and Official GDT honestly. There is a search function people need to start using, if something leaves the first page it is no excuse for someone to make another thread. I think it is just accommodating the lazy posters who cannot take the time to search something. Screw merging topics, lock the thread and point them to the search function.

I think I may agree, because I have to question whether the newbies are reading the stickies anyway, but I'm good with whatever you all do.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps part of the process of joining should be to read the rules sticky and include a statement that before starting any thread a search of existing threads should be done. (This may be the case already. I haven't been a member as long as many, but I'm old and forgetful so this may be a part of the process already).

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps part of the process of joining should be to read the rules sticky and include a statement that before starting any thread a search of existing threads should be done. (This may be the case already. I haven't been a member as long as many, but I'm old and forgetful so this may be a part of the process already).

Reading the rules should be automatic before posting on a forum. Good suggestion. Perhaps the welcome email to new members should include a link and a message to please read the forum rules before posting if it doesn't already?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Lol people dont use search now as it is..

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
..That is the entire point. Why use search if they can get away with posting as many duplicate threads as you wish? They simply won't, and one of the most useful tools a forum has will continue to be pushed aside in favor of a mountain of sticky threads and merged topics. If that makes sense to you, by all means continue.

If you lock these threads and make a point of making them use the search function it will make the forum look and run smoother at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Mushroom

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Looks good, guys. Thanks.

Its not a science, just do what works I suppose.

Is it possible to increase (or double perhaps) the default threads per page option. Because we all know most pg.2 threads are slowly dieing their deaths. That would help have the info needed on page 1 and the less important stuff would still step down a notch.

OP
OP
Mushroom

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Also, I dont want to start a new thread.

Is there a way to have all threads posted in "subscribed", so when I log in I can see all the activity that's occurred in threads Ive posted in.
i.e. a tab that when clicked opens and has new 'posted in' threads highlighted and the others present, but neutral. Instead of just 'likes' and "quoted replies".

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Mushroom, under the Forum heading there is a choice for "What's New" If you click on that it brings up the threads that have new posts since the last time you visited the site. Its great. To be honest with you, it is about the only thing I ever use. As far as individual threads I think you can subscribe to them. That notifies you of new posts by way of email. Hope that helps.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When posters stop posting things in wrong sections, then maybe the stickys wont be so high..

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Avoiding duplicate threads also helps keep the amount of stickies down. We wouldn't need to sticky and make an Official (Suh, defense, Arod Fed Ex Air, etc...) if only one thread was created for such topics and everybody posted in it rather than making a new thread for a topic that is already being discussed. If you are bothered by the amount of stickies, keep in mind the people who could help prevent them is you.

Members online

Latest posts