Why not more DBs?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people are wondering why not more DBs.

Al Harris and Chuck Woodson are the obvious starters.

But people might be underestimating the young players behind them.

Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush, and Tramon Williams are all young players and showed flashes last year.

With the addition of Patrick Lee to that young group of scrappers, the CB group is a very solid one.

And Nick Collins\Atari Bigby\Aaron Rouse are a great safety trio who will battle it out and fight for playing time this year.

I'm confident in this group, and apparently Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson are as well. You probably should be too.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and we will bring in some players off the street also to compete in camp so one of them could step up.

Reaction score
Well said trom, and I agree with tkpckfan that more players will probably be added also.

Tramon Williams was a free agent signing last year (although not a rookie), and Bush was gotten from waivers the year before. So those avenues may hold some promise, but this group is solid and has potential.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Thompson didn't think there was anybody better.

I'm just confused with the pileup of WR's and QB's.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby was undrafted and couldn't make it on the practice squad for the dolphins and jets but can start for us at a high level too.

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Trom, well said.

The QB/WR accusitions in the draft made a ton of sense to me. Depth. If Rodgers isnt the right guy (I really think he's gonna be good though), Brohm or even Flynn have a chance to work for the job. The WR situation makes sense as well, we have a very good young core, headed by veteran Donald Driver, and the adding of Nelson will make the group that much better.

Coming into the draft, we didn't have any huge holes, and the tiny little things that we needed, we got in this draft. I really like the prospect of the draft.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think when the run on corners in the 2nd Started and Cason got taken we traded down we still got Patrick Lee, but after him there wasn't much worth taking.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people are wondering why not more DBs.

Al Harris and Chuck Woodson are the obvious starters.

But people might be underestimating the young players behind them.

Will Blackmon, Jarrett Bush, and Tramon Williams are all young players and showed flashes last year.

With the addition of Patrick Lee to that young group of scrappers, the CB group is a very solid one.

And Nick Collins\Atari Bigby\Aaron Rouse are a great safety trio who will battle it out and fight for playing time this year.

I'm confident in this group, and apparently Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson are as well. You probably should be too.

Actually, this was my concern. I asked for 2. he got us one. Maybe MM told Ted that we don't need 2?

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you have to look at it from the perspective of roster spots and who can contribute the most.

At most, we'll probably be carrying 5 CBs on the 53-man roster this year.

You need Harris and Woodson for two of them for obvious reasons. Then you have to look at both Tramon Williams and Will Blackmon as potential return men for special teams as well as being reserve CBs, so there goes two more spots. So that pretty much leaves you one final CB slot available which Lee, Bush, and Porter will compete for.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you have to look at it from the perspective of roster spots and who can contribute the most.

At most, we'll probably be carrying 5 CBs on the 53-man roster this year.

You need Harris and Woodson for two of them for obvious reasons. Then you have to look at both Tramon Williams and Will Blackmon as potential return men for special teams as well as being reserve CBs, so there goes two more spots. So that pretty much leaves you one final CB slot available which Lee, Bush, and Porter will compete for.

Thank you. With that explanation, I feel better now.
Maybe MM is confident with Williams and Blackmon. I love them both on STs, and maybe he sees future potential as CBs. Maybe that nickel back slot is more secure than we realize.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't think we needed another CB as much as we needed a FS. (OK, I know we don't distinguish between FS and SS in this defense, but we definitely need a Safety that can cover worth a lick).

Unfortunately for us, there appeared to be one good FS in this draft.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy with our safeties.

Blackmon will be good if he can stay healthy. Bush and Williams are serviceable.

Jury's out on Lee.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Thompson didn't think there was anybody better.

I'm just confused with the pileup of WR's and QB's.

Young QB's who are talented enough to be potential #1 players at their position are never bad to have, especially if your current QB situation has you able to bench the rookie so he can learn the system by watching someone else do it right. (see: Aaron Rodgers) Also, as TT said, competition at every roster spot is never a bad thing.

As to the WR's, I mentioned this in the Chad Johnson thread, but I'll sum up.

The ability to go five wide is a gift right now, and DD won't be around forever. Neither will Koren, and probably Ruvell.
Getting a top-rated WR early on to allow him to develop over time (most WR's take 3 years to "break out", with the exception of Almighty Greg) is also a good idea.
Talented guys at positions where a potent starter is essential (you need 3 WRs nowadays) are great for depth.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard our top WR pick used to play DB (and QB as well). Wonder if that's one reason we looked at him. Can't rule that out, because last year, we picked a LB who ended up being our FB.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I just heard our top WR pick used to play DB (and QB as well). Wonder if that's one reason we looked at him. Can't rule that out, because last year, we picked a LB who ended up being our FB.

I think with the #87 assignment, I believe he will be a WR... but you never know with Ted and company.. two way player. :)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

I think with the #87 assignment, I believe he will be a WR... but you never know with Ted and company.. two way player. :)

He has a number now?

I want to get a jersey this year, either a Rodgers one or NOW maybe a Nelson one. I'm really falling in love with Jordy(in a non gay way, unless he's into that). I just hope he is the real deal. We'll find out soon. I can't wait for OTA and mini-camp updates.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Didn't Woodson want to play both ways?

That would be cool if they can switch. We ought to do that when we have a big lead (like when we're playing Detroit).

Members online

Latest posts