why I dont think Our problems have to do with a young coach

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I look at it is this. It normally takes about a half of a year for a football team to get adjusted to a new HC. Were going into the last few games of the season and we have not improved at all from the beggining. We have only gotten worse. This shows me that MM is not adjusting to other teams adjusting to his game plan. I think other teams have figured out what he likes to do, and he can not get around that. It is pretty obvious that we have stepped back from the start I think. And the same goes for our "young players". Im impressed by Hawk/Jennings. No one else has gotten any better.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted elsewhere about identity. For all that we might dislike about TT's approach, he has been consistent. He seems to have a plan and is almost single minded in pursuing it irrespective of short term results.

Unfortunately for MM he doesnt seem to have a plan. Every time he has attempted to be proactive he has been outmanouvered, outcoached or execution has simply let him down. Its reached a stage where he's now almost entirely passive. He seems scared to make the first move because he's not sure that its going to work. Instead he seems to want to wait to see what the opposition throws at him and then try to react to it. While that strategy has had some success with lesser teams, its failed miserably against the stronger teams.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is inconsistent and that's his main problem. He's either to conservative or to aggressive. He needs to form somewhat of a pattern. I'm all for game planning but your offense needs an identity and that's something we don't have.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
alot of this does have to do with the players because if they dont play up to par on the field theirs not much the coach can do to help the team win.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, the Packers were sitting at 4-5 coming off a very nice win at Minnesota. At that time, McCarthy looked like he was doing a good job, at least to most people. What happened? Did he suddenly turn dumb? Here are some things to consider that may at least partially explain the problems.

1. Mark Tauscher got injured against Minnesota and has been replaced by rookie Tony Moll. It's been hard to run behind Moll and he's needed help with pass protection, which limits the offense.

2. Brett Favre has had some struggles with his accuracy, probably because of injuries.

3. They've played three good teams. This doesn't excuse the blowout losses in two of those games, but you can't deny that it's a factor.

4. Greg Jennings, for whatever reason, has failed to produce. Possibly he is nicked up. It appears that Favre has stopped looking his way for the most part. Jennings made some big plays in the preseason and the first half of the regular season, so we know he has the ability to play better than this.

5. Nick Barnett has been injured.

6. David Martin has been injured. He was our only legitimate receiving threat at tight end.

7. Our young punter and young kicker have both hit the wall simultaneously, which has hurt field position and led to a few momentum-killing field goal misses.

Those are all factors that are out of McCarthy's control. It's also possible that the team is hitting a wall because its lack of experience, and in some cases, lack of talent is beginning to be exposed.

Then there's the defense. I don't think Bob Sanders is getting the most out of the talent he has at his disposal. This is ultimately McCarthy's responsibility because he's in charge of the coaching staff. At this point, I seriously doubt that Sanders should be invited back next year. But first, let's see what happens in the last four games.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: why I dont think Our problems have to do with a young co

Greg Jennings can't produce if they don't throw Greg Jennings the ball

Dude sees like 3 passes a game

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Three weeks ago, the Packers were sitting at 4-5 coming off a very nice win at Minnesota. At that time, McCarthy looked like he was doing a good job, at least to most people. What happened? Did he suddenly turn dumb? Here are some things to consider that may at least partially explain the problems.

1. Mark Tauscher got injured against Minnesota and has been replaced by rookie Tony Moll. It's been hard to run behind Moll and he's needed help with pass protection, which limits the offense.

2. Brett Favre has had some struggles with his accuracy, probably because of injuries.

3. They've played three good teams. This doesn't excuse the blowout losses in two of those games, but you can't deny that it's a factor.

4. Greg Jennings, for whatever reason, has failed to produce. Possibly he is nicked up. It appears that Favre has stopped looking his way for the most part. Jennings made some big plays in the preseason and the first half of the regular season, so we know he has the ability to play better than this.

5. Nick Barnett has been injured.

6. David Martin has been injured. He was our only legitimate receiving threat at tight end.

7. Our young punter and young kicker have both hit the wall simultaneously, which has hurt field position and led to a few momentum-killing field goal misses.

Those are all factors that are out of McCarthy's control. It's also possible that the team is hitting a wall because its lack of experience, and in some cases, lack of talent is beginning to be exposed.

Then there's the defense. I don't think Bob Sanders is getting the most out of the talent he has at his disposal. This is ultimately McCarthy's responsibility because he's in charge of the coaching staff. At this point, I seriously doubt that Sanders should be invited back next year. But first, let's see what happens in the last four games.

The ones that you mentioned that were not injury related. Are coaching. Bad special teams...BAD coaching. Favre playing like crap missing open recievers...Favre im sure, but its obvious that the last 4 weeks no coach has improved it.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some commonalities that all the great coaches have. 1) they get their teams ready to play both mentally and physically, 2) they put the players in the best position for them to be successful 3) they hire good assistant coaches who also teach the scheme very well, 4) they coach good players to be great players and average players to be good players and they're smart enough to cut the guys who can't play 5) they make adjustments as the game goes along. The game of football is filled with strategy. 6_ The week is filled with quality important practices where mistakes are fixed. 7) There is always accountability for both players and coaches who don't do their job. Now look at those six factors and tell me which ones you've seen consistently in Mike McCarthy.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some commonalities that all the great coaches have. 1) they get their teams ready to play both mentally and physically, 2) they put the players in the best position for them to be successful 3) they hire good assistant coaches who also teach the scheme very well, 4) they coach good players to be great players and average players to be good players and they're smart enough to cut the guys who can't play 5) they make adjustments as the game goes along. The game of football is filled with strategy. 6_ The week is filled with quality important practices where mistakes are fixed. 7) There is always accountability for both players and coaches who don't do their job. Now look at those six factors and tell me which ones you've seen consistently in Mike McCarthy.

mmmmmmm I will say the eight one!!!!

I have been saying this and I will stay on it Mike M.. is not HC material AT all...

Sorry folks but this is the hard reality, and it seems that Teddy Stuborn will stay with him for another year, if Brett retires expect a 0-16 or 1-15 season with little Mike on the controls..

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very well put, hard to find any evidence based on what we've seen so far to suggest that MM has any of those factors on a consistent basis and some not at all.

Members online

Latest posts