Why I am not worried about the 49ers

L

Lunchboxer

That loss was only week 1 our team was still rusty and needs to learn the chemistry between the new players.

Remember back in 2010 we lost to the Falcons everyone said the Falcons were the team to beat we went the distance during that game but came up short. But in the playoffs we trashed them and made Matty Ice into Matty Puddle.

Its not about how well a team does during the season its can they get red hot at the end. The Packers were Nova red hot no one on their best day could of betel them.

We still got a ways go to. But its too early to call anything just yet.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not worried either. Our offense hasn't yet hit its stride and we've already made significant changes to our defense since that game. I like our chances in a rematch.

bigblue bay packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, we were at the 2010 falcon game, there fans did'nt have much to say after the game, they knew we gave'm 1. 2011 may have been a record year but to me 2010 was the most exciting in 46 yrs. we need a little of both yrs an we will be 1 hard team to stop. GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That loss was only week 1 our team was still rusty and needs to learn the chemistry between the new players.

Remember back in 2010 we lost to the Falcons everyone said the Falcons were the team to beat we went the distance during that game but came up short. But in the playoffs we trashed them and made Matty Ice into Matty Puddle.

Its not about how well a team does during the season its can they get red hot at the end. The Packers were Nova red hot no one on their best day could of betel them.

We still got a ways go to. But its too early to call anything just yet.
Based on this logic, why isn't it possible that the Niners also get hot down the stretch?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the point is a strong argument can be made that the 49ers seem to be already playing at or very close to the top of their game while it's clear the Packers aren't. Over the last few seasons we've seen teams get hot and cold during the season. Seems the team hot at the end is the one who is the victor. Just a reminder, the Super Bowl champ isn't crowned in September.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All you can really say right now is that the 49ers are clearly one of the best if not the best team in the NFC. The Packers are not. 49ers defense is not going to go away, and so far their offense has looked better with Alex Smith showing some poise. Smith isn't going to outright win games for the 9ers like a Brady or Rodgers does, but he won't lose them either. Meanwhile the Packers' offense has yet to show up and we HOPE they do, but until they do I'm not going to take it for granted. Packer defense does look improved so far and I hope that continues.

Yes, if the Packer offense ends up firing on all cylinders come week 13 or so, I won't be as worried about the 49ers either. But that's too many ifs for me.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Right now the Niners have all the right pieces at the right time. They are a complete team..a juggernaut so to speak. Barring injuries, I won't believe they can be stopped until some team actually does just that. But that is why they play the game.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of things to consider in a long season.
1) Who gets hit with the injury bug worse and what is the talent behind the guys that go down? All teams will get hit with injuries the question is how many, who, and, who do they have to replace a specific player. A couple of O linemen go down for the 49'rs and all of a sudden the run offense isn't so hot and that affects their passing game.
2) Teams will find ways to attack the defense of the 49'rs. I don't know if that means teams will spread them out or what but there will be ways to score and teams will find out what it takes.

It's a long season and there are a lot of variables that comes into play that will determine who has the hot hand at the end of the season when everything starts to count. One thing we know is that the starting lineups will not be the same at the end of the season as what we have seen these first two weeks. Which teams handle that the best remains to be seen.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Based on this logic, why isn't it possible that the Niners also get hot down the stretch?

It could happen, but we as Packers fans don't care if they do or don't, you know?... because THIS is a Packers forum. As I said, if they get hot, that's good for you but, we won't give a rat's behind about that. We, you see, want the 9'ers to stagnate from reading and believing their press clippings (go ahead...say it...'that won't happen to the 9'ers because.... blah blah blah ... ' and we won't care), or, a couple of key injuries slow down the speeding freight train or what have you because once again, this is a Packers forum. Can you dig the rap? Are you hip? Groovy man ....

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have a strange feeling that the vikings will somehow beat the 9'ers this weekend....

Well, I hope you're right. The 9'ers are the class of the NFC at this early part of the season. Truthfully, I need to see our divisional rivals lose every week (including the bye week) because winning the division is always the first step ... yeah... I know, it's me... Captain Obvious. :cool:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that Falcon game of 2010 we nearly took it to OT if it were not for a kick return and a face mask penalty.
We also fumbled on a QB sneak at the goal line. We knew we could beat the Falcons.
Contrarily, the 9ers physically dominated us last week. They are clearly better in many areas. It is hard to get them out of their game. Their game against the Lions was very much like the one against us. Last year they were beaten by Dallas, Baltimore, and the Giants. The key for those teams was too try to match them physically. That is not something we cannot do. We are a finesse team and it takes a much different formula.
Similarities in the 9ers two games:
Week One Week Two
Alex Smith 20-26 201 yds. 20-31-0 211 yds.
Rushing 186 yds. 148 yds.
3rd down 2-9 4-11
Rodgers 30-44-1 303 yds. Stafford 19-32-1 214 yds.
Turnovers 9ers None 1 fumble lost
Penalties 9ers 8-66 9ers 5-62
Penalties Pack 10-77 Lions 8-67

The Lions only netted 3 points on their turnover and a roughing the kicker penalty cost them 4 points.
The Lions gained more than us on the ground but we gained more through the air. We had the luxury of being at home while the Lions faced them on the road. Needless to say we both need to be about a TD better. It would not hurt if they only had an average place kicker.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
God I hope not...Those fans were intolerable afer beating the Jaguars in OT..I couldn't imagine them after beating the 49ers.

Well at least we know we could beat the 9'ers and have the blueprint and we can let the queens have their week of glory we all know there not going anywhere this year :) sorry raptorman.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1st game of the year
Pack were more focused on the Bears (as evidence on how they dominated the offense)
Niners were game planning for a month

You saw the results

Not saying Niners arent good, but those 3 things factored into the game

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st game of the year
Pack were more focused on the Bears (as evidence on how they dominated the offense)
Niners were game planning for a month

You saw the results

Not saying Niners arent good, but those 3 things factored into the game
You sure sound mighty sure of that. It's not at all possible to you that the Bears aren't nearly as good as they're "supposed" to be?? I believe McCarthy to be a smart coach. He left the Niners at a very advantageous time, and ended up with a ring to show for it; no way it was by accident in my opinion. I cannot believe that a smart coach, would overlook a conference opponent, who was the number 2 to my number 1 seed last season, and who could possibly challenge for playoff seeding and home-field advantage this season.

I will agree though that the Niners were game planning for a month. That's what good coaches do.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could happen, but we as Packers fans don't care if they do or don't, you know?... because THIS is a Packers forum. As I said, if they get hot, that's good for you but, we won't give a rat's behind about that. We, you see, want the 9'ers to stagnate from reading and believing their press clippings (go ahead...say it...'that won't happen to the 9'ers because.... blah blah blah ... ' and we won't care), or, a couple of key injuries slow down the speeding freight train or what have you because once again, this is a Packers forum. Can you dig the rap? Are you hip? Groovy man ....
Lol I understand. I also understand that one must tread softly in enemy territory. As these things go though, this may be only one of 2 opposing team's forums that I decide to stick around. The community around here seems to be generally more knowledgeable about football, and less d-bagish... I browsed around a Lions forum during this last week and those fans are absurd.

RE: your topic, I think it is entirely possible that one team can get caught up in it's own hype a little too much; read: Giants. Of course I don't think they were the best team in the league last year anyways. I don't believe the Niners will do that, but my opinions or observations won't affect that matter either way. I sure hope they prove me right.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 2010: barely squeaked into the playoffs, relying on other teams on the final week: Superbowl Champs
Packers 2011: One of the most dominant Packer teams ever, just missed perfect season with a fluke game in KC: First round blown out by NYG.

My point: You just never know for sure what's going to be happening in January/February based on September.

The 9ers have an excellent team and one of the better defenses I have seen in some time. We played them hard in week 1 and they were the better team. We have some work to do, but beating them is definitely within reach.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Who are these 9ers again? oh yeah we played them a couple of games ago and thats history now. Mmmmm nevermind about them and what they do, they are big an ugly enough to take care of themselves. Its a long tough season with plenty twists and turns to come, lets concentrate on our team. The only thing im worried about is our consistency. As long as we win more than the others in the Division that will do me, if we manage to do that the playoffs will be where we deserve to be. Keep it Green!:tup:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You sure sound mighty sure of that. It's not at all possible to you that the Bears aren't nearly as good as they're "supposed" to be?? I believe McCarthy to be a smart coach. He left the Niners at a very advantageous time, and ended up with a ring to show for it; no way it was by accident in my opinion. I cannot believe that a smart coach, would overlook a conference opponent, who was the number 2 to my number 1 seed last season, and who could possibly challenge for playoff seeding and home-field advantage this season.

I will agree though that the Niners were game planning for a month. That's what good coaches do.

I think they did take the Niners lightly and with the very very short work, very possible extra time went to Bears and not Niners

With saying the Bears are not that good, maybe the Packers were not that good when you played them?

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they did take the Niners lightly and with the very very short work, very possible extra time went to Bears and not Niners

With saying the Bears are not that good, maybe the Packers were not that good when you played them?
I believe the Bears to be heavily overrated by everyone but their own fans.

I do not believe the Packers are a bad team. Did they play well in week 1? Not well enough to win. I think a big part of why your offense couldn't get into a rhythm is because the Niner defense does a lot of things schematically to put themselves in advantageous positions. They also benefit from being able to rush just two linemen, and allow the rest of the defense to be playmakers.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lol I understand. I also understand that one must tread softly in enemy territory. As these things go though, this may be only one of 2 opposing team's forums that I decide to stick around. The community around here seems to be generally more knowledgeable about football, and less d-bagish... I browsed around a Lions forum during this last week and those fans are absurd.

RE: your topic, I think it is entirely possible that one team can get caught up in it's own hype a little too much; read: Giants. Of course I don't think they were the best team in the league last year anyways. I don't believe the Niners will do that, but my opinions or observations won't affect that matter either way. I sure hope they prove me right.

Bob, it's ok.... the 9'ers have been my second favorite team since the early 70's. I was just being a knob. ;)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is only Week 3. The 49ers could be destroyed by injuries by the time playoffs roll around. So much could change between now and then that a conversation like this is beyond premature.

Members online

Latest posts