why Free Agency is buyer beware

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And with that said, there will be a thread here for every big named FA there is

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a useful tool when done right; especially if you're not getting much impact or production from your recent drafts.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always easy to point out the failures, but again, if you can add a difference maker- especially at a position of need- do it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope peppers falls into a diff maker

I feel that he will. It's still early in a process in which he's still learning a new position and defense, and his team mates around him are also. It will take a while to gel, but I feel that this could be a very good defense in the 2nd half of the season, and that Peppers will be an integral part of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is way too early to judge this year´s free agent class after only two games.

H

HardRightEdge

He sure got alot of fans on this board.

Buffalos D looks pretty good so far without him
Whaley is looking like one of the best young GMs in the league.

He let Byrd and the inconistent Stevie Johnson go in free agency, two home grown play makers. He signed Brandon Spikes for a modest price in free agency to shore up the run D. He traded up 5 spots in the last draft to take Sammy Watkins at the cost of next years 1st. and 4th. round picks.

These are the kinds of moves Thompson eschews. Yet these moves are paying immediate dividends...for less money. The LB crew has shown to be a cohesive and effective group with Spikes at the core despite losing Alonzo to an ACL. Watkins is the real deal...quickness, separation off the break, routes, hands.

Whaley also brought in the tarnished Jim Schwartz to replace DC Pettine who went on to HC at Cleveland. While not up to the task of managing the NFL's version of a work release program in Detroit, he's pulling together the pieces in Buffalo quite well. Again, could anybody envision Thompson hiring a guy like Schwartz?

If Manual can get it together in the red zone and continue to protect the ball, this team can get to the playoffs...dare I say win the division among a group of teams with notable weaknesses. All the pieces are there...except the open book on Manual as a consistently effective QB.

Let's see how they do against San Diego on Sunday...a compare and contrast to SEA's D work against SD last week. I think Buffalo will fare well in that comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok. lets see the practice squad ilb's on the other 31 teams. I would be willing to bet there is one out there that could help our team, and another dlineman. It takes some scouting, but the John Beason's of the world are out there.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok. lets see the practice squad ilb's on the other 31 teams. I would be willing to bet there is one out there that could help our team, and another dlineman. It takes some scouting, but the John Beason's of the world are out there.

I think the ILB situation is steady right now, while obviously not spectacular.

Hawk seems to have improved having Lattimore alongside him rather than Jones. I don't think that's a coincidence. While Jones is certainly overpayed and should be gone next year, he probably falls into the category of "adequate backup" right now.

Barrington once healthy is probably a better option than anyone we can pry off a practice squad.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the whole buyer beware thing in regards to Byrd, he did sign a long-term contract, so he could still work out for them just fine.

In more general terms, it's tough to sign a guy and ask him to come in, learn the system, and be a stud all in the first year. Sometimes it happens, but I think it's more reasonable to ask a guy to be a contributor in year 1, and then hope he becomes the stud (using stud loosely btw) in the future years of his contract.

Byrd was considered one of the worst players starting at his position this season. It was a very bad start to a very large contract. I know he had some very vocal supports on here who thought we should go all in on him.

On the flip side I'm very surprised at how well pepp has worked out for us

H

HardRightEdge

These kinds of discussions always revolve around the big names.

He's another kind of example to chew on.

In 2013, the Bills were 28th. in the league in ground yards surrendered and 23rd. in average run surrendered at 4.4.

That's with 3 Pro Bowlers in the D-Line and a decent player in the 4th. spot.

In 2014 to date, the Bills are 5th. in ground yards surrendered and 3rd. in average run surrendered with 2.8 with no changes in the front 4.

What's going on with that dramatic improvement?

Did the Bills cut back on the jet rushes to stop the run? Not really. They had an outstanding 3.6 sacks per game last year and a very good 2.8 sacks per game this year. Believe me, these guys tee off on any down approximating a passing situation.

Are they just keying the run at the expense of the pass in the back 7? Not really. Their passer-rating-against last season was 3rd. in the league at 74.2. In 2014 to date it's still very good at 86.8 for 11th. in the league. The difference is easily accounted for in losing Byrd to free agency and Alonzo to an ACL, with 8 INTs between them last season.

The most plausible answer, and the one that pops out with any kind of eye test, is the signing of MLB Brandon Spikes to a 1 year, $3 million deal in free agency to anchor the middle. Alonzo was just too soft to play MLB and was going to be moved to the outside before he blew his ACL. Bradham, a second year player, took his spot and has been quite decent.

But it's Spikes, a load in the middle, who sticks out in fixing that run game. He came in with a rep as one of the top MLB enforcers in the league. Just what the doctor ordered.

After I first saw Tullock play in Detroit after he was initially signed by Detroit in 2011 free agency, I was quite surprised to look up his salary and see he was signed for 1 year at $2 mil. He played well enough to get a 5 year/$25 mil deal from Detroit the following year and he's earned that money...until his freak celebration injury anyway.

That's just a couple of examples of bargain players who made an impact.

Nobody ever talks about those kinds of guys.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

In 2013, the Bills were 28th. in the league in ground yards surrendered and 23rd. in average run surrendered at 4.4.

In 2014 to date, the Bills are 5th. in ground yards surrendered and 3rd. in average run surrendered with 2.8 with no changes in the front 4.

Did the Bills cut back on the jet rushes to stop the run? Not really. They had an outstanding 3.6 sacks per game last year and a very good 2.8 sacks per game this year. Believe me, these guys tee off on any down approximating a passing situation.

Are they just keying the run at the expense of the pass in the back 7? Not really. Their passer-rating-against last season was 3rd. in the league at 74.2. In 2014 to date it's still very good at 86.8 for 11th. in the league. The difference is easily accounted for in losing Byrd to free agency and Alonzo to an ACL, with 8 INTs between them last season.

The most plausible answer, and the one that pops out with any kind of eye test, is the signing of MLB Brandon Spikes to a 1 year, $3 million deal in free agency to anchor the middle. Alonzo was just too soft to play MLB and was going to be moved to the outside before he blew his ACL. Bradham, a second year player, took his spot and has been quite decent.

But it's Spikes, a load in the middle, who sticks out in fixing that run game. He came in with a rep as one of the top MLB enforcers in the league. Just what the doctor ordered.

After I first saw Tullock play in Detroit after he was initially signed by Detroit in 2011 free agency, I was quite surprised to look up his salary and see he was signed for 1 year at $2 mil. He played well enough to get a 5 year/$25 mil deal from Detroit the following year and he's earned that money...until his freak celebration injury anyway.

And now we sit and wait :whistling:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well said all around, but I'd like to specifically note the Tulloch injury. Some people underestimate the significance of that injury. It could be a deciding factor in the division. It's a major blow to the Lions.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting post....

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agency in my opinion is almost like a flea market or rummage sale. Certainly not how you want your houses valuables to be built primarily through (see "dream team Eagles"), but with a keen eye there are selective deals to be had every year.

Spikes is a good example of a deal this year whereas Byrd is an even better example of that expensive authentic gold ring you bought your wife that turns her finger green every time she wears it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think Byrd was worth the investment...i remember when some people in Green Bay wanted to give up on Charles Woodson when he first got here after only o few games...probably even some of you. In time he turned out to be ok:tup:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually think Byrd was worth the investment...i remember when some people in Green Bay wanted to give up on Charles Woodson when he first got here after only o few games...probably even some of you. In time he turned out to be ok:tup:
Thompson apparently doesn't agree. It's interesting that the only "big name" free agents signed by Thompson were 1st round elite talent. Pickett, Woodson & Peppers. Ted is very choosy. I think Byrd was drafted 42nd which means the Packers passed on him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the Saints, but he was signed to a 6 year contract. I don't think 5 games will define that contract. I'm not surprised he got off to a slow start, though, because he had to learn a new defense. I would expect him to be better next year.

Agree that his injury doesn't mean his whole Saints career will be bad, but many fans have wanted Bryd or other big name guys signed in order to be a quick fix for this season.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont think Woodson was considered the worst at this position his first year then got hurt.

This year was a bust for the Saints and Byrd, but we will see how it shakes out in the coming years.

Latest posts