Why don't the Packers get love?

TheOutsider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not understand, what is so hard for the national media (espn, nfl network, etc) to cover Packers football? I know I see highlights of games but it always seems like there is ulterior motives to it. Week 1, even though I know the Pack didn't play great, we won and the only reason for highlights was to talk about Vick's performance. Week 2 they were a little better talking about Matthews but still not the coverage they gave to other teams.

I mean every time I turned on ESPN i would see Randy Moss catching a TD with one hand from last sunday or dedicating 3 minutes to bear v. cowboy highlights. I know those two things need attention but where is the love?

Anyone have any insight to this?

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty sick of it also. I remember it being the same though in the 90's. No matter how well the Packers did they wouldn't talk about them. Until that is we could no longer be ignored. I've watched so much covered since Sunday afternoon on all different channels and it's all the same. Hardly a mention about the Pack. I remember one station talking so much about how some linebacker could have a double-digit sack season. Hello? Clay is almost there but not a word.

I sometimes think it's just because everyone knows Packer fans will be around no matter what. They don't have to be hyped up by the media to sell tickets and jerseys. Therefore, we're ignored. Unless we're playing someone they want to talk about. I do read more in print about the Pack though than the talking heads on the tube.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, we haven't really surprised anyone with our play like the Bears, Cowboys and Vikings have. In that light, what's a bigger story to you- The Packers steam-rolling over the Bills as expected, or the Cowboys, who were largely considered to be a major contender for the NFC, losing to the Bears, who were largely considered to be bottom of the pile?

Even Michael Vick's return is a bigger story than us beating them, mostly because it was unexpected. To be quite honest, I'm fine flying under the radar and not getting a whole lot of coverage. I'd rather it be that way than to have everyone verbally fellating us all night, every night.

We'll get our due when it's earned. We have a LOT of big games ahead of us- This Monday night, two against Minnesota, Dallas, New England, the Jets.. If we continue to perform well, the recognition will come. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, look at the Saints- Defending Super Bowl champs whom hardly anyone is talking about.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For real, any baseball fan knows how the media loves to suck on the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies.
And in the NFL, Dallas. I can't stand it. It would be hypocritical for me to complain about lack of coverage of the Packers.

NightEmber79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out the preseason picks on USA Today. 5 of 8 writes picked GB to win it all. Because the NFL has now become Americas game sports shows and some publications have chosen to dumb it down for folks who don't know football. If you ask anyone in the know they'll tell you the Pack is XLV bound.

PS sorry not posting a link. Need 10 postings before they let me link.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need more love than almost every single analyst proclaiming the Packers as SB champs?

I get what you're saying, I also don't understand, a top 5 fanbase, they should definitely pay more coverage to us, but all in due time...

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that ****** me off about the coverage we DO get is how they always have to talk about Favre. Hello ********, the ***** hasn't been with us for three ****ing years! Time to **** about him already- He's irrelevant to this Packer team.

NO DOUBT! On the plus side we have a Monday night game this week...but also, unfortunetly we have a Monday night game this week, which means those 3 blurbing idiots will be saying a lot of stupid ****, and you know Favre will be part of the conversation.

:chisux: and ESPN SUX

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was a lil weird that Chris Berman didn't even have the Packers in his '3 minute drill'. I think stuff like that is what the OP is referring to. Season predictions don't = media coverage.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course anywhere "the old man" goes, the media will be all over him. Another thing to also remember is, Green Bay is the smallest market in the NFL. The Packers arent located in New York or Los Angeles. So naturally, they are going to cater to the larger cities. Also, as has been noted, We are just doing like everyone expected us to do... WIN!!!

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
For real, any baseball fan knows how the media loves to suck on the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies.
And in the NFL, Dallas. I can't stand it. It would be hypocritical for me to complain about lack of coverage of the Packers.

On Sunday after the games Keyshawn Johnson was still saying that Dallas will be in the Superbowl. I didn't think that before or during preseason and I would hope he knows more than I do about such things. Or.. he just says what he's told to say.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO DOUBT! On the plus side we have a Monday night game this week...but also, unfortunetly we have a Monday night game this week, which means those 3 blurbing idiots will be saying a lot of stupid ****, and you know Favre will be part of the conversation.

:chisux: and ESPN SUX

Yeah, I hate being on MNF with the ESPN crew. Would rather it be back on ABC, or just stick with SNF. ESPN is the worst in my opinion.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Vick was the story of that game. I'll admit that. I was fine with that coverage.

And week 2 we did what we were supposed to do, we murdered Buffalo. That's boring for the media. It's far more fun to freak out over Minnesota or Dallas than it is to cover a team that's doing exactly what's expected of them.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay is definitely making a splash in the media, we just don't have any DIVA players on our team to talk about, Ochostinko is always getting media, he loves it, Ray Lewis always getting attention, we are just not that type of team of Individuals, kinda makes the media go *yawn*

John

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares what the idiots on BSPN have to say anyway? The people on those are no more knowledgeable (and sometimes less so) than many of the members of this board. Right now they're too enamored with New England and New Orleans, and too surprised by Dallas and Minnesota to talk about anything else. We'll get our due when we rise up and take it. Stomping Chicago on primetime this week will go along way.

John

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay is definitely making a splash in the media, we just don't have any DIVA players on our team to talk about, Ochostinko is always getting media, he loves it, Ray Lewis always getting attention, we are just not that type of team of Individuals, kinda makes the media go *yawn*
This is true, and this is a good thing. Most NFC North teams, outside of the Bears, don't really get much coverage because either A)they are a "small market" team or B) they stink and have always stunk (see the "Lions"). Minnesota gets a ton of coverage now, why? Because they have a diva player to talk about, in one Favre, Brett. I'll take flying under the radar any day of the week.:viksux::chisux::detsux:

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
When you play a bottom dweller team, do not expect much coverage that week. Especially when you steam roll em. I think the media are sill holding off until the Pack defeats another top tier team. Then the love will roll in like a tidal wave. If we lose.... back to being ignored.

Seriously, Dez Bryant gets more national media attention than then I've ever seen Finley get, and the guy has played 2 games in the NFL so far. Gimme a break.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
It is annoying that the Packers don't get so many highlights, Rodgers had a lot of amazing passes last year and it wasn't covered. Just wait till the day the Packers beat the Vikings this year, the news will be Out with the Old, In with the New.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is upsetting but then i would rather,let them talk about teams that were to go some where and at this point are going no where.Look at jets they get noticed because of there coach and now because they beat the pats i'm no brady fan but like he said they played awful think they thought they wouldn't have to play as hard againt them.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Pack go into Soldier's Field and beat the Bears easily, believe me they'll get plenty of attention from the national media.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not understand, what is so hard for the national media (espn, nfl network, etc) to cover Packers football? I know I see highlights of games but it always seems like there is ulterior motives to it. Week 1, even though I know the Pack didn't play great, we won and the only reason for highlights was to talk about Vick's performance. Week 2 they were a little better talking about Matthews but still not the coverage they gave to other teams.

I mean every time I turned on ESPN i would see Randy Moss catching a TD with one hand from last sunday or dedicating 3 minutes to bear v. cowboy highlights. I know those two things need attention but where is the love?

Anyone have any insight to this?

We get more press than alot of teams. all they did in the preseason is talk about the Packers, they kinda over did the story to a point.

Of course they should talk about Vick, he played one of the best games of his career after sitting on the bench or prison the past few years. Vick was all I was talking about too! Dude still has it, kind of a big story.

Week two we played the bills, so you want them to talk about that instead of Jets Pats? You gotta look at it from a national perspective, what does the avg fan want to talk about other than his team?

You would be doing yourself a favor not getting your coverage from ESPN. Inside the NFL crushes anything ESPN puts out, and if your looking for more packer coverage try local stuff like jsonline.com I cant imagine it gets much better than what they do. Besides all national stuff is super watered down.

I called out Peter King one time for having a Wisconsin bias, he cracked up and after I told him why I thought so he kind of agreed alot of his book talked about WI. Joe Thomas story, Hutson ranked #1, 2 best sports bars are in Wi, ect.

Members online

Latest posts