Why does it seem on a sack, Rodgers goes down way to easy?

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're caught you're caught and struggling further pointlessly is not only a good way to get injured but commit a turnover, too. Take the sack but keep possession of the ball. Don't turn a bad play into a disaster.
But you also have to consider how good Rodgers is a running and avoiding defenders when he can do that. I don't think he goes down too easy; he's just playing intelligent football.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has done a good job thus far avoiding getting sacked. But when he's caught he's caught.

I don't think its realistic for him to try and escape at that point and risk an injury. Whether there's a solid backup or not.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
it seems that way to people that are AR haters cuz they are looking for ANY excuse as to why he shouldn't be the q/b

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that is true. It seems to be the opposite to me. Aaron has avoided at least 2-3 sacks because he was squirming away when he was grabbed, or spinning and throwing a pass.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favreforever721 said:
I don't think that is true. It seems to be the opposite to me. Aaron has avoided at least 2-3 sacks because he was squirming away when he was grabbed, or spinning and throwing a pass.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather him go down, secure the ball, and not try to get too fancy. Rather than, run around blindly and fumble.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've seen him go down without hesitation a couple of times, but i've also seen the exact opposite..break/avoid a tackle and get out of the pocket. i think his pocket awareness is still in the infant stage (normal for a QB with 3 starts). that would explain the anomaly in my opinion...

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Bart Starr would say "Sometimes you just have yo eat the ball." Take the sack, avoid the turnover, less chance of injury, means smart football.

theodoric

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Against the cowboys, i saw a couple of plays where rodgers spun away from tacklers and escaped.

sundown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think AR does a good job trying to get away from the passrush,he has quick feet but it is hard to scramble when there are 2 or 3 guys in the backfield such is to often the case,our O line has got to step up,remember as good as he is,he is a first year starter.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
i've seen him go down without hesitation a couple of times, but i've also seen the exact opposite..break/avoid a tackle and get out of the pocket. i think his pocket awareness is still in the infant stage (normal for a QB with 3 starts). that would explain the anomaly in my opinion...

I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment. His awareness of the pocket isn't great yet. The speed of the game has caught him off guard several times & he lays down. Other times he's looked a lot like his predecessor though & been agile enough to avoid the rush & find enough space to make a play.

Maybe it seems like an equal amount of each to some but to me it's a little too much of the former. That can be evidenced by the amount of sacks thru 4 games in '08 as opposed to '07. Different teams played, different players on O-line & different circumstances notwithstanding, I think the 37-year old did a better job of avoiding sacks in '07 than Rodgers has thus far in '08.

That's a given with the experience level of Rodgers. Athleticism only gets one so far. Couple that with experience & Rodgers will be highly effective.

There's a lot of us who believe this scenario was not in the best interest of the '08 Green Bay Packers. The goal is to win a SB. Gambling that GB would be able to overcome the inexperience of a 1st-year starter at the most important position on a football team was pretentious at best.

Will the ends justify the means? Will Rodgers stay healthy enough to validate TT's methods? Will we look back on '08 as a lost opportunity? Am I wrong to pose these hypotheticals after just 4 games? Yes, yes, no, yes?

TheHawkIsHowling

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favreforever721 said:

Yeah I completely agree, I don't know what games the OP has been watching but imo A-Rodg has done a very good job of avoiding sacks so far this season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts