Why did we change our game plan?

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im utterly dissapointed with the first half game plan. Examples...... heaving balls into no mans land, playcalling in general... and zone coverage??? i thought we were a tough man to man team, why change now i dont get it

and a onside kick in the second quarter???? that was a head scratcher....

All in all, im not as mad as i thought id be after this loss, we are 10-2 and we have 4 games left

13-3, in 96' and 97= superbowls

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wouldve is a word my friend that seldom tells truth but is a prediction of something that never happend though

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan your killin me man... your killlin me.

that onside kick was fine. it didnt work. you cant call that a bad call thats retarded. for several reasons. one they were getting good returns even if we booted it. two.. they didnt expect it. three. you didnt expect it. four it would have worked if it didnt hit his hand..

dont come on here man sayin the coach had a bad game cause of an onside kick. thats ridiculous.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan your killin me man... your killlin me.

that onside kick was fine. it didnt work. you cant call that a bad call thats retarded. for several reasons. one they were getting good returns even if we booted it. two.. they didnt expect it. three. you didnt expect it. four it would have worked if it didnt hit his hand..

dont come on here man sayin the coach had a bad game cause of an onside kick. thats ridiculous.

dude i never said that was a badly coached game, your putting words in my mouth.... all im saying is WE DEVIATED FROM OUR NORMAL GAME PLAN THAT GOT US TO 10-1

i never said bad coaching!!!

Reaction score
Cowboys had scored on their first 5 possessions.

Our D wasn't stopping jack, so take a chance.

What's the worst that happens, the Cowboys score? They'd been doing that every time they got the ball up until that point.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
IMO, we were trying to hard to take the Momentum of the game. We wanted to hit them with a couple of knock out shots.. and I think the Dallas safeties played better than expected.. Hamlin played a whale of a game and took away alot of the deep ball.

I was impressed with Hamlin and the Dallas secondary. but I agree, we came out to vertical, but I would rather be too aggressive than passive.

There may be another shot at these guys... we need to learn from this game.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884,

Your on to something with the "deviated game plan". Seemed like a lot of experimentation going on. Maybe we thought we had to score big, fast, I don't know.

I really believe they will learn from this game though and go back to what was winning us games before.

Cheers friend !!1

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they wanted to get some big momentum on our side early in the game, but the secondary had us covered extremely well on the long routes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horrible game planning. McCarthy has been spot on for this entire year but not this week and I think he knows it too. I think he knows that if the next time they play they'll need to do the short slants and ins and maybe hit a deep one as the game goes on. One thing the short passes do is take up a lot of time which means Dallas' offense isn't on the field.

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were the long shots down the field dictated by the game plan, or was Favre making a decision to go deep even though receivers were open underneath the coverage?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were the long shots down the field dictated by the game plan, or was Favre making a decision to go deep even though receivers were open underneath the coverage

I think you hit it on the head. It was there underneath according to replays and the announcers. Sometimes favre just goes into GOD mode where he wants to throw deep regardless of the situation. I just hope he plays it smart in the playoffs and we go all the way!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:
Were the long shots down the field dictated by the game plan, or was Favre making a decision to go deep even though receivers were open underneath the coverage

I think you hit it on the head. It was there underneath according to replays and the announcers. Sometimes favre just goes into GOD mode where he wants to throw deep regardless of the situation. I just hope he plays it smart in the playoffs and we go all the way!

hahaha that showed restraint.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were the long shots down the field dictated by the game plan, or was Favre making a decision to go deep even though receivers were open underneath the coverage?

That's my question exactly. It looked like a game plan that had been drawn up on a cocktail napkin before the game, but Favre is at least partially to blame.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:

And you were in on the gameplan right? The coaching staff went away from the quick routes. How do I know? Easy, most of those throws were out of stretch play action. You are not going to hit a quick slant out of that set.

Unfortunately the O-Line broke down so Brett didn't have much time to find the open guy. It happens. Thats what happens when you get pressure on the QB. Something the GB Defense couldn't do with thier front 4. Romo had 6-7 seconds to throw the ball. That's where the coaching staff should start bringing the blitz, they failed to do so.

Look at the difference. Brett was in a hurry, the Cowboys had good safety play over the top. Romo wasn't in a hurry and our Safeties are very undisciplined. That's football. The Cowboys are the better team.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:

It WAS the play calling.
From MM press conference
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/11/29/3/
(Were you trying to take shots early?)
Yes, we were. We wanted to play aggressive on offense. We felt that we had some opportunities in personnel coverage, our perimeter against their perimeter. We knew pass protection was going to be a challenge and I thought Dallas did a good job with their pass rush.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
showgirl said:

It WAS the play calling.
From MM press conference
Yes, we were. We wanted to play aggressive on offense. We felt that we had some opportunities in personnel coverage, our perimeter against their perimeter. We knew pass protection was going to be a challenge and I thought Dallas did a good job with their pass rush.

Thank You

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
showgirl said:

It WAS the play calling.
From MM press conference

This sums it up, I figured that is what they were trying to do. Brett didnt have much time to throw, the protection was horrible. On one throw maybe more he was hit when the ball got intercepted. If I can remember right, he did make one bad throw that was in noway by our receiver, but again the way we see it on TV we dont see everything. Also the bad call against Bush where he got tangled up in their recievers legs, he didnt have his hands on him at all, IMO that call was a bad one. The refs sucked, I know there job is hard, but they get paid to make the "good calls". They were even discussing this call like they didnt know what was going on. Favre isnt god noone is, but to say Favre blew this game, to me is ridiculous. If they would have played the game like the others he would have been fine. But they put him in a hurry up mode to soon. The play calling sucked in the first half. We should have played like we did to get us to 10-1 dont know what they were thinking there.

All in all folks we lost the second game of the season, no reason to go over the deep end we have have lots of games to play. We need to get our players healthy and give it our best shot in the playoffs and stick to our original game calling. We are a young team remember that.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Horrible game planning.

Please explain.

"We wanted to play aggressive," McCarthy said. "We thought we had some opportunities based on their personnel on the perimeter against our personnel on the perimeter. But I thought pressure was a problem."

It was in the gameplan to go deep, and that was imo a huge mistake. It got Favre injured. And why didn't they account for the pressure?? Short to intermediate passes was the way to go. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

<edit> n/m some people beat me to it.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
tromadz said:
showgirl said:

It WAS the play calling.
From MM press conference

Thank You
Np. Although I shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does someone ALWAYS HAVE TO BE THE BLAME for a strategy or play that does not work.

I am so sick of reading this guy sucks, if it wasbn't for this guy missing coverage, if this guy would have only done it the other way.

It was quite obvious that the plan coming out in the 1st quarter was to try and hit Dallas quick with some long passes and trick plays to take the momentum and maybe take the crowd out of the game.

Hey it didn't work, after all the bad breaks and tough calls The Packers still had a chance to tie the game in the 4th quarter.

Lessons will be learned, I think The Packers will be a better team the rest of the year if the take the time and watch the film.

Damn why did that guy Curly ever talk the people of Green Bay into investing in a football team, think of how quiet and unexciting fall and winter would be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL........

MM gets called to conservative and fans say be more aggressive...So now he is more aggressive and fans are ticked

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horrible game planning. McCarthy has been spot on for this entire year but not this week and I think he knows it too. I think he knows that if the next time they play they'll need to do the short slants and ins and maybe hit a deep one as the game goes on. One thing the short passes do is take up a lot of time which means Dallas' offense isn't on the field.

I don't think you can put all this on McCarthy when Brett has that much leeway on the field. Brett took it upon himself to throw several deep balls and on some of the replays I saw other receivers wide open.

Brett missed some reads out there last night including the one where he got hurt. He normally sees that coming and puts the ball right over the rushers head for a completion. He missed that guy coming totally.

MAYBE the game plan changed somewhat with Rodgers in there but my gut says he just chose the shorter routes vs. Brett who, for whatever reason, wanted to take it deep way more than he has all year. MM's not one to change the plan because of the player. I think he had Rodgers executing the same game plan he went in with.

I'm not blaming anybody here but I'm not prepared to say this is how MM had it diagrammed going in either.

Members online

Latest posts