Why come to Green Bay?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some improvements from the 8-8 guys we had last year would be nice.

Do you believe the roster GB has right now is the roster GB goes into training camp with?

This is the caveman mindset that people need to move away from. It's idiotic.

Yeah, GB hasn't done anything in FA yet, but you would be a 1st class moron to think people won't be signed.

Charles Woodson was signed in May.

Don't get pissy and upset because the redskins, raiders, and other failures are spending money like it's going out of style.

This crybaby **** is so stupid. *****ing and moaning because we didn't sign a FULLBACK(even though we still have our starting FB on our roster) is ridiculous and Packers fans need to wake up and stop letting ESPN and other impatient fans corrupt your mindset.

Charles Woodson was signed in May.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't even respond to the childish post above for obvious reasons.

You all seem to be missing the boat. I'm not saying FA's don't want to come here because of the nightlife, etc. You guys are the ones that say "outside factors" were to blame not money for not signing with GB.

How many ways do you want it. I stated TT was too cheap and you reply with "TT is not cheap, there was more to it than money". Then I take the other side and say outside factors, other than money, are to blame and you say "No, it's because of money".

Disagreeing to disagree, as expected. How many sides of a fence can you be in at once?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think anyone is saying it is EITHER the money OR the outside factors. it's both. some players are swayed more by money, others are swayed more by the outside factors.

EDIT: well, maybe some people are saying 'either, or', but i'm not.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i don't think anyone is saying it is EITHER the money OR the outside factors. it's both. some players are swayed more by money, others are swayed more by the outside factors.

EDIT: well, maybe some people are saying 'either, or', but i'm not.

Here's a normal argument.

"TT Should have signed John Doe"

"He didn't because he was cheap"

"no, it was because of outside circumstances"

Or

"TT should have signed John Doe but he got to much money"

So when a player gets a nice contract he was overpaid, and if he got a monetarily friendly contract there were outside circumstances.

But NEVER, NEVER has it been because TT was to cheap to pay someone.

I love the generic almost robotic excuses people make.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You all seem to be missing the boat. I'm not saying FA's don't want to come here because of the nightlife, etc. You guys are the ones that say "outside factors" were to blame not money for not signing with GB.

How many ways do you want it. I stated TT was too cheap and you reply with "TT is not cheap, there was more to it than money". Then I take the other side and say outside factors, other than money, are to blame and you say "No, it's because of money".

Disagreeing to disagree, as expected. How many sides of a fence can you be in at once?

Thanks for not responding to trom's post. But I have to say that you now have me completely confused. In your initial post you asked us not to assume that it's about the money, and cited various other factors for possible reasons why players may want to go somewhere other than Green Bay. Now you claim that we are saying it's about the money, even though I don't see anybody who's saying that. Instead, most people are saying that some players like it here and some don't, which you could say about any location in the NFL.

Is this just some sort of rhetorical game you're playing? I'm finished with this thread.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Thanks for not responding to trom's post. But I have to say that you now have me completely confused. In your initial post you asked us not to assume that it's about the money, and cited various other factors for possible reasons why players may want to go somewhere other than Green Bay. Now you claim that we are saying it's about the money, even though I don't see anybody who's saying that. Instead, most people are saying that some players like it here and some don't, which you could say about any location in the NFL.

Is this just some sort of rhetorical game you're playing? I'm finished with this thread.

Perhaps reading the initial post would help. I stated I clearly think it's about the money but so many say it's other things{usually as an excuse}. I was wondering if it is TRULY about the other things how are we going to win that battle. I was told GB has very little advantage in any "outside factor" and then I was attacked for repeating it.

I could statethe grass is green and 5-6 posters would disagree. It's quite funny

Reaction score
Well I am confused about what the facts are you are intending to be discussed in this thread.

You seem to be taking a shot at Ted even though you are talking about deals being offered that contain the same money....

This question itself could have been posed without any reference to TT.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Well I am confused about what the facts are you are intending to be discussed in this thread.

You seem to be taking a shot at Ted even though you are talking about deals being offered that contain the same money....

This question itself could have been posed without any reference to TT.

Not really. I am trying to figure out If TT's tightness is not the reason we can't land FA's then what is it.

If I say TT is too tight people reply with "There were outside factors"

If I say "It was outside factors" people say they they were overpaid.

You tell me its outside factors and not money in one breath and then I post about outside factors and you come back with "GB has just as much to offer to potential FA's as any other team" in the next.

It was a fun little experiment.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I've lived in Green Bay(199th largest city in the US) for more than two dozen years. It's a nice place. If you want to have fun, you can. If you want to lay low, you can. If you want to get into trouble, you can. If you want to stay away from trouble, you can. The choice is on the person, not the city. Unlike other cities such as New York, Miami, etc.

Green Bay has a massive wealth of tradition that ANY young NFL player or seasoned NFL player would enjoy tremendously. The first two SB were won by the Packers. The trophy that is desired by EVERY single player in the NFL, every single coach in the NFL, every single assistant, office worker etc bares the name of the late great Vince Lombardi, former Packers HC.

Young, old or inbetween, tradition and history does matter.

The Packers have a wonderful facility (im partial on that, my father helped with the last two renovations) and of course the 'FROZEN TUNDRA OF LAMBEAU FIELD'

There are good schools for your children in Green Bay.

If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change.

The Packers are owned by the fans. The only professional sports team to my knowledge that can say that.

Here, in Green Bay, Packer players are worshipped. They can be the freakin 6th string long snapper and fans would still line up to get get his autograph. Why? Because thats how the fans are here. They love their team, good, bad, it doesnt matter. Packer fans are there for their team and when you know your fans will support you and be there for you even through the hard times. That means something.

Imagine being a Packer, selecting your number and crossing it with over 80 years of other players with your number. How many other teams can match that? It's something small, but to some its significant.

Over 80 years of History, HERE

So many stories, so many memories, so many more to come in the future, wouldnt you want to be part of the next story? The next memory?

I would.

The fact that this question was even brought up disturbs me beyond words. I would expect this kind of question from a Bears fan or Vikings fan with them having the desired outcome of trying to pathetically attack the Packers with some lame comment as 'where do you eat at? Applebees?' instead this was questioned by someone ...

I'm stopping before I get off on a MUCH DESERVED rant, that's all I have to offer other than Woodson was signed May 1st.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've lived in Green Bay(199th largest city in the US) for more than two dozen years. It's a nice place. If you want to have fun, you can. If you want to lay low, you can. If you want to get into trouble, you can. If you want to stay away from trouble, you can. The choice is on the person, not the city. Unlike other cities such as New York, Miami, etc.

Green Bay has a massive wealth of tradition that ANY young NFL player or seasoned NFL player would enjoy tremendously. The first two SB were won by the Packers. The trophy that is desired by EVERY single player in the NFL, every single coach in the NFL, every single assistant, office worker etc bares the name of the late great Vince Lombardi, former Packers HC.

Young, old or inbetween, tradition and history does matter.

The Packers have a wonderful facility (im partial on that, my father helped with the last two renovations) and of course the 'FROZEN TUNDRA OF LAMBEAU FIELD'

There are good schools for your children in Green Bay.

If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change.

The Packers are owned by the fans. The only professional sports team to my knowledge that can say that.

Here, in Green Bay, Packer players are worshipped. They can be the freakin 6th string long snapper and fans would still line up to get get his autograph. Why? Because thats how the fans are here. They love their team, good, bad, it doesnt matter. Packer fans are there for their team and when you know your fans will support you and be there for you even through the hard times. That means something.

Imagine being a Packer, selecting your number and crossing it with over 80 years of other players with your number. How many other teams can match that? It's something small, but to some its significant.

Over 80 years of History, HERE

So many stories, so many memories, so many more to come in the future, wouldnt you want to be part of the next story? The next memory?

I would.

The fact that this question was even brought up disturbs me beyond words. I would expect this kind of question from a Bears fan or Vikings fan with them having the desired outcome of trying to pathetically attack the Packers with some lame comment as 'where do you eat at? Applebees?' instead this was questioned by someone ...

I'm stopping before I get off on a MUCH DESERVED rant, that's all I have to offer other than Woodson was signed May 1st.

That's the funny thing, I didn't bring it up, the majority of posters on this board did!

It's always outside factors that determine wether FA's come to Green Bay and never about the money. Thats what I get time after time.

Re-Read my post and see that I clearly stated I thought it was about money. I feel the same way Zero but obviously FA's do not. I would jump to play for the Packers with thier history. If TT offers as much as another team why don't FA think the same?

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stated

Everytime a FA gets signed up by someone else we here "outside circumstances" were to blame. To me that is bogus and is an excuse because TT does not want to open the checkbook.

Yet others stated

It might not have been about the money. It's very likely griffith went with the nice paycheck, nice weather, and familiar coaches\scheme.

Isn't it possible that Griffith has other reasons to go to Oakland than just money?

It could also be possible that Griffith, being only like 25/26, likes to enjoy the nightlife. There certainly isn't much of an urban nightlife in GB, and there is certainly much more of that in Oakland. That could've been the deciding factor.

Now, tell me, who said what?

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is it plain and simple. Just about any FA can be lured into GB with the right combination of factors. For some, it will be easier because GB fits their needs (family atmosphere, rich tradition, etc.). Other FA however will require more money because of the intangibles that other teams/cities offer.

It is my opinion that it is the job of the GM to determine what amount of money it will take in order to convince that player to sign here. He must determine what he is fighting against (city/team desires) and counter it with a proper contract offer to convince the player that GB is the team for him. At the end of the day, all that matters is whether the player signs with GB and if he does, if the deal was reasonable. Reasons why a player signed with another team are simply excuses if we really wanted that player and he would have improved our team.

I feel like TT has the knack for making reasonable signings. My worry is that he hasn't developed the ability (along with the rest of the staff) to outbid opponents when necessary. Granted, it is hard to prove this since they don't post contract offers on websites too often.

My other worry is that he has more of a “sit in line and wait for them to come to me” approach which does not work when you are competing with the more aggressive teams.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like it or not, IMO TT is becoming known as a penny pincher. How can I say that? We Packer fans have acknowledged that many times and many fans have applauded him for it. BUT if WE know and acknowledge it, don't you think players and agents know it also? They're not deaf and dumb. The word was out that the Packers were interested in Donnie Whathisname, the LB from the Chargers. His agent also heard that. But did he check w/KC and then the Packers? Hell no! He went right to KC, signed a contract w/o even wondering what GB would offer. WHY?? Because he and his agent knew TT's reputation and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I know this is only my opinion, not backed up by any proof, but you must admit it could well be true. I'll admit that there are guys out there that don't **** for great nightlife, hence GB would be fine with them if the money was OK. But IMO at least 90% of contracts are signed because of the money, not the frills. IMO, Griffith would have signed here if offered perhaps $4.5mil for 3 yrs. w/$2mil guaranteed. Cheap contract for a seasoned yet young player.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
53 man roster, 32 teams, 1696 available jobs that can make you a millionaire. More than enough incentive to come to GB

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
53 man roster, 32 teams, 1696 available jobs that can make you a millionaire. More than enough incentive to come to GB

I don't follow, by this logic there are 1643 jobs that can make you a millionare without coming to GB. Could you elaborate?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because..............players in GB are treated like GODS by the fans. In the "big city" they arn't as important as here. If you go to say, New York, there are MANY sports teams there, and if you arn't "great", you are just anohter person. In GB, the PACKERS are IT!
So, you will get the money AND adoration by the people.
As well as the history. Reggie White came here, and i think he liked it pretty much. GB is not the laughing stock of a team that it was in the 1970's and 80s.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoos and Retired, I agree with you. I just don't see FA not comig here for any other reason than they can get a better deal elsewhere.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That's the funny thing, I didn't bring it up, the majority of posters on this board did!

It's always outside factors that determine wether FA's come to Green Bay and never about the money. Thats what I get time after time.

Re-Read my post and see that I clearly stated I thought it was about money. I feel the same way Zero but obviously FA's do not. I would jump to play for the Packers with thier history. If TT offers as much as another team why don't FA think the same?

I didn't say YOU brought it up.

Why don't the Free Agents feel the same way? My first guess, maybe Ted isn't as good of a salesman as required for his position. Or he doesn't feel he should overpay for talent.

Even though I'd like to say we are, we are not one or two players away from being a Super Bowl lock contender. No need to break the bank for a player or two when you have several needs.

Honestly, I do not know. I'm not the Free Agents, I don't see whats going on behind closed doors or whats not going on.

I think as I said its either Ted doesn't know how to sell GB to players, Ted doesn't want to pay 4million for a player he priced out at 2million and/or he knows we need a solid core of players before we try to add in filler players.

:dunno: but I sure as hell no its not because of Green Bay and the organization itself.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It could also be possible that Griffith, being only like 25/26, likes to enjoy the nightlife. There certainly isn't much of an urban nightlife in GB, and there is certainly much more of that in Oakland. That could've been the deciding factor.

When were you in Green Bay last AADP?

There is plenty of nightlife in Green Bay. Just because you don't hear about shootings and Paris Hilton and Britney Spears slutting up the clubs in GB doesn't mean GB doesn't have any to offer. There are atleast a half dozen that I know of and I don't even club!

Argument could be its hard to find them. BS. The Packers hired Edgar Bennet to help players with that when he first joined up as a non-player. The Packers have had someone in that role to help players transistion to GB ever since. I'm sure that the new person is very familar with far more clubs than myself.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
First, this post is not meant at a stab at TT but an honest question.

Everytime a FA gets signed up by someone else we here "outside circumstances" were to blame. To me that is bogus and is an excuse because TT does not want to open the checkbook.

I think you started off the post wrong, saying it isnt to bash Ted but then stated as fact Ted wont open the check book..You have links to prove this fact?

Anyways, people forget he did open it up last year and even ( reportedly ) offered more to Adam V then what Longwell got, but Adam still went to the Colts, the dome was probably a huge influence for him.

Lavar A, wanted to play against his former team, and player with his best friend...Griffith is saying that he wanted to play with former coaches and in Ca..

Someone posted that maybe Ted doesnt want to over spend for a guy to come here...Money probably could have made Griffith come here, but at what cost?? 3 million a year? 4?? These are just figures tossed out since we dont know what he was offered...

Oakland and GB, two below average or average teams, bidding on one guy...IMO GB would have to bid lot more then what he got to get him...And I for one dont want them to spend 3 million a year on a FB..

GB is stuck in a tough spot, they are an average team right now, and need players..But also wont spend more then what they think f/a is worth..

If they were in N.O shoes, or N.E shoes it might be a lot easier for a f/a to take even LESS to come here..That is how it was in the 90's for them, f/a wanted to be a part of this place.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 80% of it is money. Thats what the players want. The other 20% is probably a chance to win a title. GB is not a very attractive city to relocate too, especially if you are used to and like the big city. The history is great, but when you are young, that dosent mean a whole hell of a lot, unless you grew up a Packer fan. But I gotta say, we have a stellar new stadium, great practice facility and the greatest fans on earth. Onece players get a taste of that they tend to want to stay. You notice when we do rope a good FA, they fall in love with Green Bay and want to stay.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It never happens where you pay a guy more and he will come

~~~

for the Titans on Sunday evening. The Patriots signed the receiver Tennessee really wanted, Donte' Stallworth.

The Titans offered him more guaranteed money and more average per year than New England did, but the Patriots got him because they're a better team with a better quarterback right now.

~~~

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/11/mmqb/1.html

Members online

Latest posts