Why Brett Really Came Back

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
digsthepack said:
Yeah...tearing apart a team...by getting rid of stalwart performers like C. Hunt, M. Roman....and whiney f@cks like JW.

Good riddance!

Can he put one together....well, I will take the last 2 drafts and the smart FA signings he has made over anything the previous regime did.

Let's not get into last years draft please........I believe I have already won that discussion lol . IT BLEW!!!!!!!!! One starter on a 4-12 team. One starter now after two years apparently!!!

As for this years draft.....I love it.......SO FAR!!!

Depack you underestimate the value Rodgers, Poppinga, and Underwood was having a nice camp.

Murphy is what it is, a casualty!

But that was a decent draft, whereas this year's draft class might be the best in my memory. If College, Spitz, Hawk, and Jennings all start or contibute major minutes; and Hodge and C. Rodgers are both special teams stars, some people around here need to practice some groveling techniques, because this draft ruled and TT is a very good evaluator of talent.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Yeah...tearing apart a team...by getting rid of stalwart performers like C. Hunt, M. Roman....and whiney f@cks like JW.

Good riddance!

Can he put one together....well, I will take the last 2 drafts and the smart FA signings he has made over anything the previous regime did.

ah thank you!

yeah good points dakota... you would think that 5 very talented players from one 7 round draft would be enough for some people... but apparently not ...

Collins, Murphy, Rodgers, Poppinga, Underwood... TT should be ashamed of his first draft. . :roll:

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dakota T said,

But that was a decent draft, whereas this year's draft class might be the best in my memory. If College, Spitz, Hawk, and Jennings all start or contibute major minutes; and Hodge and C. Rodgers are both special teams stars, some people around here need to practice some groveling techniques, because this draft ruled and TT is a very good evaluator of talent.

They HAVE to contribute major minutes. There is no one else.

That does not make TT a genius in my book!

(It's the quality of those minutes that will count. And don't count on there being many quality minutes right away.)

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
digsthepack said:

Good riddance!

ah thank you!

yeah good points dakota... you would think that 5 very talented players from one 7 round draft would be enough for some people... but apparently not ...

Collins, Murphy, Rodgers, Poppinga, Underwood... TT should be ashamed of his first draft. . :roll:

Well, I count one starter in that list (Poppinga may be a solid SLB in time thought). Murphy looked like a player until his injury and the jury is stil out on Rodgers so I'd hardly call TT's first draft a resounding success. This last draft looks to be better, but keep in mind it took a 4-12 season to get most of those picks. Tough to get impact players at the end of each round (as TT found out last year).

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
digsthepack said:

Good riddance!

ah thank you!

C'mon....you're not THAT big an idiot are you? Collins is it. Murphy is outta football, Underwood would never have been a starter and can't stay healthy. Poppinga is a decent special teams player, hence the drafting of Hawk AND Hodge and the signing of Taylor. Rodgers will never be a top flight QB, in my opinion and he definately isn't now.

So let's see, after two seasons the only one of those 5 Superstars you mentioned that will have contributed significantly is Collins. And this is on the worst team that Green Bay has fielded in 15 years.

Just go with facts, son. Last seasons draft has one starter in two seasons. This seasons draft has possibly 5 as rookies. AND even more telling is that TT has drafted players to replace these guys already. Spitz and Colledge ahead of Costin and Whitticker. Hawk, Hodge and even Taylor instead of Poppinga.

Damn it's nice to support TT but even he laughs at your blind faith. Be fair and objective. His draft sucked last year. It looks great this year.

Reaction score
I think his draft was targeted more at depth at positions that needed it. This year, I think he sought th strategy of who can come in and compete, as opposed to last years strategy. Of course, not to mention the better draft position this year, as well as the greater arsenal of picks to deal with.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I think his draft was targeted more at depth at positions that needed it. This year, I think he sought th strategy of who can come in and compete, as opposed to last years strategy. Of course, not to mention the better draft position this year, as well as the greater arsenal of picks to deal with.

Well THAT would explain everything. Let's draft backups first and then next year we will take guys to start over them :wink: . That TT really IS a forward thinking guy. Hell, I don't care which class they came from, I'm just happy we have reinforced the team with good young talent. My statement of last years draft isn't to bash TT. I just like to live in the world of reality every once in awhile!!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Packnic said:
digsthepack said:

Good riddance!

ah thank you!

C'mon....you're not THAT big an idiot are you? Collins is it. Murphy is outta football, Underwood would never have been a starter and can't stay healthy. Poppinga is a decent special teams player, hence the drafting of Hawk AND Hodge and the signing of Taylor. Rodgers will never be a top flight QB, in my opinion and he definately isn't now.

So let's see, after two seasons the only one of those 5 Superstars you mentioned that will have contributed significantly is Collins. And this is on the worst team that Green Bay has fielded in 15 years.

Just go with facts, son. Last seasons draft has one starter in two seasons. This seasons draft has possibly 5 as rookies. AND even more telling is that TT has drafted players to replace these guys already. Spitz and Colledge ahead of Costin and Whitticker. Hawk, Hodge and even Taylor instead of Poppinga.

Damn it's nice to support TT but even he laughs at your blind faith. Be fair and objective. His draft sucked last year. It looks great this year.

Depack, you are not allowed to use the word facts, because Pyle is Mr. Facts, and you are copyrighting. (LOL)

I'll give you the Coston and Whittaker point, but Taylor was a bargain basement deal, and Hodge fell into our laps. Had Uncle Ted drafted Abdul in the 2nd round, your argument would have more merit.

It's good having you back, sir, even though Digs and I are going to have to take you behind the woodshed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look acroos the entire NFL........and SEE just how many super stars that were picked last year and this year. NO GM gets them all correct. And hindsight is ALWAYS "20-20". It's easy for the "fans" to sit at their computers and rip a guy who i am 100% certain is trying to build the Packers into a winning team. Geez.....the guys isn't Matt Millen, cut him SOME slack!
I believe Donald Driver was a 7th round pick........i'm not 100% sure, but i think so. So, how many teams passed on him before he was picked???
Plus, Favre was a second rounder, who was traded to us. How many teams passed on him? Sp, ALL those GM's must be IDIOTS!!! (Of course WE have the ability to see what these players have done! So it's EASY to say "Why doesn't Ted get THIS guy, or THAT guy?")
I don't know.......it seems some people hate TT period, and i honestly believe that no matter WHAT he does, their opinion won't ever change.
Me, i don't hate OR love him, i'm just willing to wait and let him do his job FIRST, and THEN judge the results.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Look acroos the entire NFL........and SEE just how many super stars that were picked last year and this year. NO GM gets them all correct. And hindsight is ALWAYS "20-20". It's easy for the "fans" to sit at their computers and rip a guy who i am 100% certain is trying to build the Packers into a winning team. Geez.....the guys isn't Matt Millen, cut him SOME slack!
I believe Donald Driver was a 7th round pick........i'm not 100% sure, but i think so. So, how many teams passed on him before he was picked???
Plus, Favre was a second rounder, who was traded to us. How many teams passed on him? Sp, ALL those GM's must be IDIOTS!!! (Of course WE have the ability to see what these players have done! So it's EASY to say "Why doesn't Ted get THIS guy, or THAT guy?")
I don't know.......it seems some people hate TT period, and i honestly believe that no matter WHAT he does, their opinion won't ever change.
Me, i don't hate OR love him, i'm just willing to wait and let him do his job FIRST, and THEN judge the results.

What's funny is most teams would love to get 5 players that'll contribute in they're 2nd year from a Draft.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

What's funny is most teams would love to get 5 players that'll contribute in they're 2nd year from a Draft.

Big Difference here Porky. These guys will contribute ONLY because we have NO other options. It's not like they are are fighting for roster spots.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

Big Difference here Porky. These guys will contribute ONLY because we have NO other options. It's not like they are are fighting for roster spots.

They're contributing early though and they're only going to get better. After one season it's too early to judge a draft class. In a year if they're on the verge of being released, then you can call this class a bust.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

What 5 players are contributing. I see Collins and...................

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

Again 2nd day guys aren’t drafted too start. They're drafted for depth. Find one team that has all of it's pick from any class in the starting lineup. It doesn't happen. Not every pick is a Donald Driver or Mark Tauscher.

Contributing can be done as backups.

Guys like Marvel Underwood’s (2nd Day Pick), Michael Montgomery (2nd Day Pick), Nick Collins (obvious). Poppinga (2nd Day Pick) when he returns will be the top backup LB. Hawkins (2nd Day Pick) is our potential dime back. All those guys have seen a lot of PT and have contributed too the team as key backups and role players.

If you expect every pick to be a starter, then your going too be very disappointed with every draft and must've been with past Drafts. Usually the only picks that contribute early on our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. Murphy was a bust because of injuries. Collins is solid. Rodgers is up in the air. Rodgers will be the make or break pick.

No perhaps these guys aren't very good at all. That's more of an insult too the current talent on the roster when they arrived and the current talent right now.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:
porky88 said:
cheesey said:

Again 2nd day guys aren’t drafted too start. They're drafted for depth. Find one team that has all of it's pick from any class in the starting lineup. It doesn't happen. Not every pick is a Donald Driver or Mark Tauscher.

Contributing can be done as backups.

Guys like Marvel Underwood’s (2nd Day Pick), Michael Montgomery (2nd Day Pick), Nick Collins (obvious). Poppinga (2nd Day Pick) when he returns will be the top backup LB. Hawkins (2nd Day Pick) is our potential dime back. All those guys have seen a lot of PT and have contributed too the team as key backups and role players.

If you expect every pick to be a starter, then your going too be very disappointed with every draft and must've been with past Drafts. Usually the only picks that contribute early on our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. Murphy was a bust because of injuries. Collins is solid. Rodgers is up in the air. Rodgers will be the make or break pick.

No perhaps these guys aren't very good at all. That's more of an insult too the current talent on the roster when they arrived and the current talent right now.

Wrong, These guys didn't contribute anything. Compared to other teams these Rookies contributed very little outside of Collins. I'm not saying this was a bad draft but in turn it certainly wasn't a great one. It was average at best!

Poppinga isnot the top backup, not sure where you got that. Hawkins and Montgomery are fighting to make the team. Whittacker is probably gone as is Campbell

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Poppinga is pushing for starter. He did start a game last year and was a huge contributor to special teams.

Pushing for a starting spot? Isn't every player on the roster pushing for a starting spot. Roy Manning is a potential starter as well but I don't see anything other than Hawk, Barnett and Taylor. Hodge, Manning and Poppinga will be backups.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Poppinga is pushing for starter. He did start a game last year and was a huge contributor to special teams.

Pushing for a starting spot? Isn't every player on the roster pushing for a starting spot. Roy Manning is a potential starter as well but I don't see anything other than Hawk, Barnett and Taylor. Hodge, Manning and Poppinga will be backups.

Oh boy you sure are technical aren't cha? Obviously everyones goal is to start. I assumed that was a given and did not need to be declared.

By pushing for a starting spot I was in fact saying the staff is considering him as starter on the outside. He's been impressive thus far and came back faster than anyone anticipated from his injury. He also has the menality of a true linebacker. He was quoted as saying something to the effect of hitting is a gift or something similar to that. I can't recall the exact quote but it was interesting.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Wrong, These guys didn't contribute anything. Compared to other teams these Rookies contributed very little outside of Collins. I'm not saying this was a bad draft but in turn it certainly wasn't a great one. It was average at best!

I would agree it was average. If Rodgers ends up being "the next Favre" or something like that, then it will go down as a sucess because of that.

Poppinga is pushing for a job at WLB and SLB. If either Hawk or Taylor would go down he'd be the starter.

Here's you chance to shine. Start naming the Draft picks that contributed a lot last year. I'm talking 2nd day picks. All those guys I named were 2nd day picks and were our backup players. Go through team too team and name the players that were either top backups or really contributed too a football team last year and then you can call me wrong. They're were over 300 guys taken last year. Let's see who made that rookie impact and even started on some squads.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever. If this years draft "contributes" as much as last years draft we are dead. Go back and look just how much "PT" the guys you mentioned had last year and even worse, how much they are expected to have this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Whatever. If this years draft "contributes" as much as last years draft we are dead. Go back and look just how much "PT" the guys you mentioned had last year and even worse, how much they are expected to have this year.

2nd Day picks shouldn't contribute that much and if they are your probably going 4-12.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:

2nd Day picks shouldn't contribute that much and if they are your probably going 4-12.

They didn't contribute much. Contributing 12 tackles to a team is no big accomplishment. I would bet that at least 75% of other teams had a 2nd day guy who contributed 12 tackles. Another important fact is that with all the injuries last year it's no wonder some of these guys contributed. On top of that, we were terrible last year. Maybe the same props that you are giving these guys for "contributing" should be applied to the reason we were 4-12.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:

They didn't contribute much. Contributing 12 tackles to a team is no big accomplishment. I would bet that at least 75% of other teams had a 2nd day guy who contributed 12 tackles. Another important fact is that with all the injuries last year it's no wonder some of these guys contributed. On top of that, we were terrible last year. Maybe the same props that you are giving these guys for "contributing" should be applied to the reason we were 4-12.

Start naming the guys. I asked you and now is your time too prove it. Find the 6th round DE's drafted a year ago who are currently #2 on the depth chart and had 20 tackles. Find the safeties who went in the 4th round that started. Find the Corners that made big plays that went in round 5. We're talking last years class. Let's hear these guys. All I hear is Collins is the only guy that did something. Collins was a 2nd round pick that is too be expected of him. Rodgers is playing behind a future HOF. Anyone other than Murphy and the 2 above shouldn't of been expected too come in right away. I completely agree, that GB stunk last year because of the talent on the roster but I disagree of the expectations some of these late round picks are being given. If you can find a 2nd string DE in round 6. That's a pretty good pickup.

Off the top of my head I can name a couple and none of them are all one team.

Buenning - Tampa & Lofa Tatupa - Seattle are the guys that really stick out.

Those are the 2 obvious ones. Both 4th rounders.

Edit: Take your time and do the research. I'm rather curious of what the result is and I'm sure others are as well.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is this with me doing research for you guys.......Do your own or don't state stuff that is simply not true

Travis Daniels - 4th Round Pick - 47 tackles
Brandon Jacobs - 4th Round - 7 TD's
Ciatrick Fason - 4th Rounder - 4 TD's
Elton Brown - 4th Rounder - Started 9 games on the O-Line
Jerome Mathis - 4th Rounder - KR specialist 2 TD's
Jerome Carter - 4th Rounder - 31 Tackles
Duke Preston - 4th Rounder - Played in 15 games
Kerry Rhodes - 4th Rounder - 85 tackles
Chauncey Davis - 4th Rounder - 21 Tackles
Darren Sproles - 4th Rounder - 15 game KR/PR
Chris Canty - 4th Rounder - 35 tackles
Kyle Orton - 4th Rounder - Yeah you know