Why are you packer fan? Tell us your story

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know there have been a hundred posts about why you are a Packer fan, usually in introduce yourself forum but I would like to see those stories consolidated in one thread, I know the usual
answers: I was born in Wisconsin, my parents were from Wisconsin, etc. I want to get a lot of nice stories that I can print out out.
Packer fan from Texas, why?
Packer fan from UK, why?
Packer fan from Brazil (hi RS), why?
Packer fan from every state in the union and no direct ties to Wisconsin , Why?
I want to hear your stories.
Thanks.
I want to put all your stories together. It can unite generation gaps. This is important, I don't think this has been done before. Please spend 5 to 20 minutes to tell your story or your relatives stories.
I am not giving up on this project. I love every story I have gotten but is such a small percentage of forum members, I want to weep. Worrried about your spelling or proper english? I could care less. Mine is so bad that it took me three hours to type this page.

*another why is why are over a hundred people viewing this thread and don't tell their story? All stories are interesting. If you don't have the time right now, come back later and post your story*

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born in Minnesota. My father was from Minnesota and was a Vikings fan, my mother was from Wisconsin and is a Packer fan. I was going to be raised a Vikings fan but when my parents split up, my mother was awarded custody of my brother and I, so I was raised a Packer fan. My uncle on my mother's side used to show me games and footage from the Lombardi era and from even before that. So my Packer fanhood started early. Yet I didn't fully understand or appreciate the Packers until the summer before my freshman year of high school.

In August of 96' my mom decided to take us on a week long family excursion to Packer training camp. I was blown away. Meeting the players and seeing Lambeau field was great, but it was the people of Green Bay and the Packer Hall of Fame that made the biggest impacts. Ever since then, I've probably been the biggest Packer fan in my family. Even my uncle who lives in Wisconsin and is a sports writer tells me I am a bigger Packer fan than he is. Although I think it's because he is more of a college football guy. He is always wearing the Red and White.

I've had relationships end because of my love for the Packers. Living in Minnesota, it was hard for a lot of women to understand I guess. I wouldn't make plans or do things on Sundays or whenever the Packers were playing that week. I missed a lot of weddings and big things, well not with my family. They know not to plan stuff like that during Packer games unless we are going to watch them. Even now, while I am serving active duty in US Army, I try to get my NCOs and Officers to schedule me around Packer games. Last year I made a deal with my NCOIC at the time. I told her that I would work every Saturday and Holiday during the football season as long as I could have Sundays/Packer games off. For the most part it worked out. I only had to work during one Packer game. I know when I get deployed I will miss probably an entire season, but I am sure I can get some one to TIVO it or burn it dvd for when I return.

Nothing cheers me up like Packer football. I guess I am a bit of a nut, but I believe I am in the right place here on this forum. LoL.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you DergaSnach, it's the type of story I am looking for> Enough like yours and I can write a book!

Also thank you for your service. When I was overseas for two years, friends and family would VHS tape packer games for me so I could watch them when I got home.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Id like to be a part of this post so i will tell me not so exciting story aha, anyhow Im from los Angeles, CA. Ive been a packer fan for MANY years Im 21 now I remember the first game I ever watched was I BELIEVE a playoff game against the 49ers and for some reason i just honestly had a instant attraction to the team, the uniforms the way everyone was rooting for the 49ers and I didnt want too ahahah, remember im from CA. So yeah as the years progressed I watched more and more games, learned the history, players, coaches and so on. Was a big fan of Antonio Freeman as well as Ahman Green. So thats my story of how i became a packer fan until this day. Now that im 21 I get into all kinds of arguments and what now but always hold my teams down, people as ''Why are you a packer fan?" and i just tell em' i grew up a packer and thats just what it is. Thanks for reading. Nice post BTW.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Basically the Packers were forced upon me (but I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm thankful they were)

No real interesting story, only that my parents divorced when I was 1 or so, and my mother and stepdad had no interest in sports or the Packers. But My biological dad had me on the weekends and I inherited the Packer gene from him. Sunday was everything Packers.. Took me to my first game at County Stadium when I was about 7 or so (Can't remember). I haven't seen my dad in years, but my best memories with him involved the Packers, including the Superbowl party they hosted (I was 12), and my first trip to Lambeau.

p.s. I was born and raised in Milwaukee

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Id like to be a part of this post so i will tell me not so exciting story aha, anyhow Im from los Angeles, CA. Ive been a packer fan for MANY years Im 21 now I remember the first game I ever watched was I BELIEVE a playoff game against the 49ers and for some reason i just honestly had a instant attraction to the team, the uniforms the way everyone was rooting for the 49ers and I didnt want too ahahah, remember im from CA. So yeah as the years progressed I watched more and more games, learned the history, players, coaches and so on. Was a big fan of Antonio Freeman as well as Ahman Green. So thats my story of how i became a packer fan until this day. Now that im 21 I get into all kinds of arguments and what now but always hold my teams down, people as ''Why are you a packer fan?" and i just tell em' i grew up a packer and thats just what it is. Thanks for reading. Nice post BTW.

Thanks for your post. You will be surprised over the years how many times you will have a discussion similar to this:
"What football team do you follow?"
"Green Bay."
"Green Bay what?"
"Green Bay Packers"
"Oh, I've heard of them, what state are they in?"

I've had that discussion over hundreds of times. Enjoy the ride and wear the colors.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Basically the Packers were forced upon me (but I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm thankful they were)

No real interesting story, only that my parents divorced when I was 1 or so, and my mother and stepdad had no interest in sports or the Packers. But My biological dad had me on the weekends and I inherited the Packer gene from him. Sunday was everything Packers.. Took me to my first game at County Stadium when I was about 7 or so (Can't remember). I haven't seen my dad in years, but my best memories with him involved the Packers, including the Superbowl party they hosted (I was 12), and my first trip to Lambeau.

p.s. I was born and raised in Milwaukee

Mr. StyleZ, ALL these stories are interesting to me. Thank you for yours. If i get enough responses, I would like to put together a booklet of them and send one to everyone who who made a post or even those that don't make a post and would like to read them.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Green Bay born and raised long, long time Packer fan. I lived my first 32 years on Green Bay's east side, just 4 blocks from old City Stadium, the Packer's home stadium from 1925-1956. Since 1968, In have lived in DePere,Wi, which is located 5 miles south of Lambeau Field.

My first memories of the my home town Packers were in the 1940's,when Packer co founder, head coach and General Manager Earl "Curly" Lambeau was still running the Green Bay Packer franchise.

I have almost 7 decades of memories of Packer and NFL football. I have seen great, good and bad Packer football during all those years.

I have always been proud to tell people I met, I am from Green Bay,Wi, Home of the Green Bay Packers.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess I should tell my own story. I was 12-years-old, and buy raising a ton of newspapers for my church, I won a ticket to a Packer game at County Stadium in Milwaukee. I got the ticket and the the only thought I had was"what is football and who the heck are the Green Bay Packers?"

Nobody in my family ever talked about them, not my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents. The Milwaukee Braves were not playing, so I went by myself. The Packers got creamed but I was thinking "I love playing baseball but I really love watching football." So I was hooked and eventually got all my family and relatives hooked. And many years later I still am hooked,

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am a Green Bay born and raised long, long time Packer fan. I lived my first 32 years on Green Bay's east side, just 4 blocks from old City Stadium, the Packer's home stadium from 1925-1956. Since 1968, In have lived in DePere,Wi, which is located 5 miles south of Lambeau Field.

My first memories of the my home town Packers were in the 1940's,when Packer co founder, head coach and General Manager Earl "Curly" Lambeau was still running the Green Bay Packer franchise.

I have almost 7 decades of memories of Packer and NFL football. I have seen great, good and bad Packer football during all those years.

I have always been proud to tell people I met, I am from Green Bay,Wi, Home of the Green Bay Packers.

Dear PWT, thank you so much for your story. I have 52 years of memories of the Packers. My first game I saw was before Lombardi was hired . I had the wonderful prevelege of moving to Green Bay at an early age and having Bart Starr as a neighbor. I always lived on the west side but I certainly know where De Pere is, was accepted at St. Norberts when I got out of the military.

Although I was born in Milwaukee, whenever anybody asks me where I am from, I always say Green Bay....home is where the heart is.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I am from the UK, and we didn't really used to get much NFL coverage at all.

First time I saw the Packers was in 1999, but the first game I really ever took notice of, was of the Packers vs Raiders game, where Brett played after the untimely death of his father. I thought the Packers were brilliant, and when I heard about what happened re: Favre, then I chose the Packers properly as my team. Got my first Packers jersey whilst on holiday in Florida (home Ahman Green jersey), then got the white Favre jersey for Xmas the same year.

I watch the Packers every week, be it streaming online, or using my friends NFL Game Pass. Sometimes they are shown on UK TV here, but not very much :(

I've been fortunate to visit Green Bay twice so far. First time was in 2008, when we lost at home to the Panthers, and second time this year, when we defeated the Lions at Lambeau. I had such an awesome time both trips, and met some great people.
Green Bay is the most beautiful place I've been to, and I've visited alot of different countries, cities and towns. When I've spoken to the wonderful people of Wisconsin, they thought I was crazy coming all the way from the UK to visit Green Bay! But Green Bay is just like another world to me. I would like to, and hopefully continue to visit Green Bay time and time again, and fingers crossed, hopefully live there someday.

Anything Packer related, I try to get involved. Whilst recently holidaying in NYC, I went to see the Lombardi play on Broadway, and it was absolutley amazing!

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why I am an Illinois, die-hard, Packer Fan?
Because I still have knots on my head, from my dad, when I jumped in front of the TV when the Packers were playing!

Oh, the memories of my Dad…May he rest in peace! One of his favorite sayings was, “ I’ll put a knot on your head”. Even though, he said that to us kids, hundreds of times, he never did it. He was a “crazy, die hard Packer fan, indeed!” Living my whole life, just 90 miles from the hated rivals from the Bear den, we are obviously out numbered, but he used to say, “it takes 10 stupid Bear fans, to equal, 1 intelligent Packer fan.” So, I guess you could say that, I had it pounded into me LOL! OR, I’m a chip off the old block. I’ll take either :).

My folks were season ticket holders when the Pack played 4 games a year at Milwaukee County Stadium in the early ‘80’s. In those days, it was easy to get single game tickets, and I started going to some of those games. He told me I should sign up for season tickets. At that time I was young, had a young family, & was barely making ends meet. He said that it takes several years to get season tickets, and by the time I get to the top of the waiting list, I would be able to afford it. So I signed up, and 8 years later I had season tickets. Best advice he ever gave me, because now I proudly sit on the 50 yard line for Gold package games, and the waiting list is 100 years. I was also lucky to get SB tickets in ’97. His wisdom was way ahead of the times.

When I was 16, I was working at a gas station at the Wagon Wheel in Rockton, IL. One evening, a big guy drove in and asked, “hey son, can you install a headlight for me, I have to travel to Green Bay tonight”, he stuck his arm out the window & said, “Have you ever seen a Super Bowl Ring”? I hadn’t, & he showed me his SB ring. It was HOF’er Henry Jordan! I didn’t ask, but he gave me a signed picture of him, which I still have today. I simply melted!

I Love You Dad…Thanks For The Knots LOL!

Being a Packer fan, is better than having “Sex”…Ah…Um…well maybe not, but it last longer!

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I am from the UK, and we didn't really used to get much NFL coverage at all.

First time I saw the Packers was in 1999, but the first game I really ever took notice of, was of the Packers vs Raiders game, where Brett played after the untimely death of his father. I thought the Packers were brilliant, and when I heard about what happened re: Favre, then I chose the Packers properly as my team. Got my first Packers jersey whilst on holiday in Florida (home Ahman Green jersey), then got the white Favre jersey for Xmas the same year.

I watch the Packers every week, be it streaming online, or using my friends NFL Game Pass. Sometimes they are shown on UK TV here, but not very much :(

I've been fortunate to visit Green Bay twice so far. First time was in 2008, when we lost at home to the Panthers, and second time this year, when we defeated the Lions at Lambeau. I had such an awesome time both trips, and met some great people.
Green Bay is the most beautiful place I've been to, and I've visited alot of different countries, cities and towns. When I've spoken to the wonderful people of Wisconsin, they thought I was crazy coming all the way from the UK to visit Green Bay! But Green Bay is just like another world to me. I would like to, and hopefully continue to visit Green Bay time and time again, and fingers crossed, hopefully live there someday.

Anything Packer related, I try to get involved. Whilst recently holidaying in NYC, I went to see the Lombardi play on Broadway, and it was absolutley amazing!

Well God bless you bloke, chum,chap, limey, or whatever we call you...if you were were Australian I could call you Bastard, that is a term of greetings between friends there. Thanks so much for your post/ It will be saved.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why I am an Illinois, die-hard, Packer Fan?
Because I still have knots on my head, from my dad, when I jumped in front of the TV when the Packers were playing!

Oh, the memories of my Dad…May he rest in peace! One of his favorite sayings was, “ I’ll put a knot on your head”. Even though, he said that to us kids, hundreds of times, he never did it. He was a “crazy, die hard Packer fan, indeed!” Living my whole life, just 90 miles from the hated rivals from the Bear den, we are obviously out numbered, but he used to say, “it takes 10 stupid Bear fans, to equal, 1 intelligent Packer fan.” So, I guess you could say that, I had it pounded into me LOL! OR, I’m a chip off the old block. I’ll take either :).

My folks were season ticket holders when the Pack played 4 games a year at Milwaukee County Stadium in the early ‘80’s. In those days, it was easy to get single game tickets, and I started going to some of those games. He told me I should sign up for season tickets. At that time I was young, had a young family, & was barely making ends meet. He said that it takes several years to get season tickets, and by the time I get to the top of the waiting list, I would be able to afford it. So I signed up, and 8 years later I had season tickets. Best advice he ever gave me, because now I proudly sit on the 50 yard line for Gold package games, and the waiting list is 100 years. I was also lucky to get SB tickets in ’97. His wisdom was way ahead of the times.

When I was 16, I was working at a gas station at the Wagon Wheel in Rockton, IL. One evening, a big guy drove in and asked, “hey son, can you install a headlight for me, I have to travel to Green Bay tonight”, he stuck his arm out the window & said, “Have you ever seen a Super Bowl Ring”? I hadn’t, & he showed me his SB ring. It was HOF’er Henry Jordan! I didn’t ask, but he gave me a signed picture of him, which I still have today. I simply melted!

I Love You Dad…Thanks For The Knots LOL!

Being a Packer fan, is better than having “Sex”…Ah…Um…well maybe not, but it last longer!

What a great story. I am having so much fun with this thread. Henry Jordan is most famous for saying after Lombardi died, "He treated us all the same...like dogs."
Thanks, your post will be saved and compiled with others. Hopefully for a funny, sad book about how you became a Packer fan, and memories of your parents.

Regarding sex and being a Packer fan and on my honeymoon night almost all (but not all) I could think of was was the current score of a Packer-Bear game.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a great story. I am having so much fun with this thread. Henry Jordan is most famous for saying after Lombardi died, "He treated us all the same...like dogs."
Thanks, your post will be saved and compiled with others. Hopefully for a funny, sad book about how you became a Packer fan, and memories of your parents.
Thanks for this thread, it is a nice walk down memory lane!

Side note: I believe it was last year at a game when the Packers were honoring their HOF'ers at half time. I didn't know until the 2nd half that, Henry's daughter, who was on the field representing her Dad, was sitting right in front of me. I shared my story with her, & it had us both in tears.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Before I hit the sack, I just want to thank everyone for the wonderful stories you have posted. To me it's like finding buried treasure. Be back in a couple of hours.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born and raised in the Philly area, I started watching football because of Reggie White and became an Eagles fan. When Reggie was traded to Green Bay, he took my heart with him. There was something about his new team, the fans, that I just fell in love with. I still cheered for the Eagles but my heart was elsewhere. Watching the Packers win the SB in 96 was like watching a dream come to life, I've never seen anything so wonderful and it brought me to my knees as same as the day Reggie passed from this world. I have him to thank for bringing me to here and each day I thank God for it. Football has gotten me through some tough times in my life. Sometimes you just need an anchor to keep you grounded and for me that has been football. I am always inspired by the players and fans, there is nothing like them. As for those Eagles, I can say I am done with them for some time. Watching Vick play QB in game 1 after Kolb went down pretty much severed the last of my ties with the Eagles. Ironically, I have the Packers to thank for that!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Mine is kind of a stranger one.

I was born in Lexington, KY but moved to Richmond, VA before I even turned one. I lived there for 8 years then moved to Rochester, NY. My next door neighbors in Rochester became my best friends growing up. I spent a lot of time over at their house because their parents were very lenient, and were almost never around, so we got away with most anything.

My dad used to watch football, but he was never really very partial to any team, just enjoyed the game for what it was. If anything, he was a Bears fan, because he grew up in Gary, IN. He was really only passionate about one thing sports-wise, and that was the Michigan Wolverines football team, his alma mater. So, I grew up loving the Wolverines.

My neighbors, who were big Wisconsin fans because their dad played Badger football, also liked the Wolverines and I would alternate watching Michigan games at my house with my dad and at their house. Being Wisconsin fans, they were also HUGE Packer fans. Every Sunday I can remember, we used to find ways to watch the Packer games from their basement. I would steal the one cheese hat they had and wear it while cheering on the green and gold. This all was during the Favre tenure in GB, and I loved watching the guy play. I can thank him for my love of the Packers. I have many memories of going over there in my Favre jersey, watching the game with the cheese on my head, and tossing the football around during any downtime, pretending I was the big #4 himself.

Anyways, kind of a confusing story, and I still don't fully understand why I'm a GB fan and not a CHI fan (probably the team's colors, haha), but I am, and that's all that matters.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was born and raised in the Philly area, I started watching football because of Reggie White and became an Eagles fan. When Reggie was traded to Green Bay, he took my heart with him. There was something about his new team, the fans, that I just fell in love with. I still cheered for the Eagles but my heart was elsewhere. Watching the Packers win the SB in 96 was like watching a dream come to life, I've never seen anything so wonderful and it brought me to my knees as same as the day Reggie passed from this world. I have him to thank for bringing me to here and each day I thank God for it. Football has gotten me through some tough times in my life. Sometimes you just need an anchor to keep you grounded and for me that has been football. I am always inspired by the players and fans, there is nothing like them. As for those Eagles, I can say I am done with them for some time. Watching Vick play QB in game 1 after Kolb went down pretty much severed the last of my ties with the Eagles. Ironically, I have the Packers to thank for that!

Kitten, thanks for another story I can collect.. We have something in common, we both loved Reggie White. The more I learned about him from meeting him and his family, I am sure I would have loved him him even if he never played for Green Bay.

Thanks for not chiding me for the W,C, Fields quote I put on my signature. I have a crazy sense of humor and couldn't resist.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten, thanks for another story I can collect.. We have something in common, we both loved Reggie White. The more I learned about him from meeting him and his family, I am sure I would have loved him him even if he never played for Green Bay.

Thanks for not chiding me for the W,C, Fields quote I put on my signature. I have a crazy sense of humor and couldn't resist.

Reggie toughed a lot of souls and made a lot of football fans out of people.

Didn't notice the sig until just now! I have a crazy sense of humor too so I can relate!

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why would post that in here? I see why you would but its about introducing yourself

Dear Green_Bay_Packers,

I really have no idea what you are talking about. I started a thread because I was very curious of why people from different states and different countries ended up being Packer fans. Once people started posting , I thought I should tell my story on why I became a Packer fan. If you have a problem, take it up with longtimefan. He thinks it's a great thread.

Why post the thread in Packer forum, because it's a bout the Packers. Again, I have no idea what you are talking about. Send me a PM and don't disrupt my thread.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have moved this thread back to the original forum. Green_Bay_Packers was doing exactly what we told him to do. So if you need/want to point the finger at someone for what he did, you can point the finger at me. This was one of those threads that could of been in a number of forums. (Introduce Yourself, Atrium, Packer Fan Forum) But since the thread starter started this thread in the Packer Fan Forum, we will leave it there.

All is good again, we are all Packer fans so lets get this forum back on track.

I married into the Packer family. My wife's father is from Wisconsin. So when we went back for a family trip we went to a game there. So now I follow the Packers and purchased a forum so I can dive into the world of Packers football even more.

Members online

Latest posts