Why are you a Packer fan?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just curious why everyone is a Packer fan, I know for some it will be as simple as saying you grew up with it, but some people I figure might have some interesting stories or reasons.

Im a Packer fan since I grew up with it in Wisconsin, no other reason I guess.
I have always like the Bills since they are a small market team, and I have always liked the Raiders for their attitude.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up on the Minn/Wis border and loved it when my Dad went nuts over something Don Riley (St. Paul sportswriter) wrote about Wisconsin or the Packers. My Dad was a 100% Wisconsin fan. I figured that since he was right about everything else, he had to be right about sports.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Wisconsin. My dad was a Packer fan and so was everyone else that I knew. Even though both of my sons never lived in Wisconsin..........they are Packer fans. I guess it was because I was. I took them to see the Packers play Seattle in the King Dome, I think it was the year they won the Superbowl. It was great that year........but watched the SB in Japan at 8am (military).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad was an exchange student in Racine, WI, in the 60's, so he learned to enjoy the Packers.

While I was a soccer fan since I could open my eyes, when I got old enough to understand the game, my father told me about it, and when transmissions got to Brazil, I was able to watch the Packers.

I traveled sometimes to US (not WI, though), and got to watch some more in the early 90's.

But the full transimissions only got in here in the middle 90's, if I'm not mistaken.

But I was never able to watch a full Packers' season until the web stream began...

GBpackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with IVO, I like them because I'm from WI. I live in Kenosha which is right on the WI/IL border so half my family are Packers fans and the others are Bears so I grew up watching both. It's possible that there is an equal or close to an equal amount of Packers and Bears fans here in Kenosha.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Green Bay. My father is (and grandfather was) a stockholder and season ticket holder. They both had seats at old City Stadium. I met a couple down here from CT and the guy is a Packer fan because he grew up watching the Lombardi Packers. They both got a kick out of learning my hubby and I are from Green Bay. Last summer they took a pilgrimage to Green Bay to see Lambeau Field. We took them to see some of the sights. It was fun to see his expression of awe touring Lambeau!

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was an military brat growing up. We were always moving to a different Air force Base every couple of years or so. I can still remember the day when I was 9 or 10 years old and reading about The Packers. The idea of a team that willl ALWAYS be in the same small town, the small town feel of "david vs goliath", and the fact that it was the only publicly owned team really appealed to me. It was basically the home life of stability that I really loved. Been loving them ever since..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first real NFL game I saw, was the Packers/Raiders game were Brett tore **** up! After seeing this game, I became more interested in the NFL, and followed the Packers ever since. And even after Brett left for NY, I stuck with the Pack, as I was/am a Packer fan, not just a Brett Favre fan.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
It hard for me to remember, but my earliest memories of seeing a NFL football game was Dallas Vs. Greenbay. My dad is a huge Dallas fan, the rest of my Dad' family are Giants fans, and my Mom's side and my sis are huge Patriot fans.

I don't remember if I started liking the Pack out of malice at my dad, because I liked their uniforms, or because I owned a "Packers v 49ers" checkers game and always played as GB, but as far as I can remember I've always bled green and gold.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It hard for me to remember, but my earliest memories of seeing a NFL football game was Dallas Vs. Greenbay. My dad is a huge Dallas fan, the rest of my Dad' family are Giants fans, and my Mom's side and my sis are huge Patriot fans.

I don't remember if I started liking the Pack out of malice at my dad, because I liked their uniforms, or because I owned a "Packers v 49ers" checkers game and always played as GB, but as far as I can remember I've always bled green and gold.
LOL at being a Packer because you played as them in a checkers game. That's pretty funny!

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Growing up in WI, for one. My earliest memory regarding the Packers was the Monday Night game vs. the Redskins, 1983. I spent the night @ my grandparents house where I witnessed my grandpa going nuts over the actions on the television. I remember feeling the sense of curiousity over his passion over the game/team. From what I can remember, it was my first game I actually sat through, and I was hooked. My mother was a hard core Packer fan as well. Funny side note to the story, while watching the wild-card game vs. Arizona, my 8 year old son sat and watched the entire game with me, his 1st game sitting through, and while I coached from the couch, I thought this must be what it was like for my grandpa that Monday night.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have brown eyes and brown hair and I am a Packer fan...it is as much of me as the color of my hair and eyes...

Actually, Dad was a huge Packer fan, he also always drove Fords and shot pheasants with Browning shotguns...I am my fathers son. I still drive Fords, shoot my pheasants with Browning shotguns and still love the Packers!

One of the things I still remember is pheasant hunting with Dad on Dec. 31, 1967 in his '63 Ford. We were following the game on the old AM radio and it kept buzzing in and out during the game. I do remember it was cold as hell here in Iowa too that day. Dad got out to ask a farmer if we could hunt his field around 10 in the morning, and Dad came back to the car laughing and told me that the farmer said to him " If you are crazy enough to go out hunting in this kind of weather, you can hunt wherever the hell you want to!" Dad loved to tell that story whenever it got cold...I think we shot 4 birds that day too!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Father was a Packers fan and I took after him. Brother and Mother along with the rest of the family were Bears fans. Got so much crap for being a Packers fan that uncle's side of the family wouldn't want anything to do with me. Also I love the Green and Gold's beautiful colors, and the fact that they won't ever be anywhere else, and now growing up realizing they are part of a Wisconsite's or Sconnie's heritage.

jimtaylor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why a Packer fan? Had to be...born in '51 Lombardi got here in when I was nine and just becoming aware of sports. I got use to winning every Sunday. As many of you know, being a Packer fan becomes a religion. Been hooked ever since.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess for me it's as simple as the fact that my mom's whole family grew up in Madison. Of course they moved before I was even born, I've been living in Arizona my whole life. But no one in my family ever was really a cardinals fan. I remember watching Brett Favre when I was a really little kid, before I even understood the game. I just remember asking my family "why isn't Brett on the field?!", and they were like "because we're on defense", and I responded "so?". Then we'd always go play touch football in the street with my cousin's little Badgers football. So as long as I can remember, the Packers have just been a big part of my family, the only sports team I've ever really cared about.

Gerard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys remember book fairs that we would have in elementary school?

Anyways, in third grade, there was one going on and this girl I had a huge crush on bought a Brett Favre Poster and brought it into class. I found out everything I could about the Packers to impress her and they became my favorite team....

Forgot the girl, but still love the green and gold...

lwdeklerk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i first started watching the nfl in about 2004, my first memory is al harris' interception against the seahawks in the playoffs. growing up in south africa supporting the springboks i already bled green and gold, supporting the packers just came naturally to me.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys remember book fairs that we would have in elementary school?

Anyways, in third grade, there was one going on and this girl I had a huge crush on bought a Brett Favre Poster and brought it into class. I found out everything I could about the Packers to impress her and they became my favorite team....

Forgot the girl, but still love the green and gold...

This is the best one yet

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i grew up in east tennessee and sometime in the early 60s i got interested in football and in my opinion there wasnt another team but the packers tthey had the coach the players and that was it for me and has always been. i have 2 daughters and 2 grandaughters and i guess i brought them up right because all are packer fans. i even converted my wife from a raider fan to a fan of the green and gold so all i can say is go pack go

ostman61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in California but have always been an avid reader , read all about the Lombardi teams and it all started from there started rooting for them during John Brockingtons playing days my all ..time favorite when i was a child.I am now living in Sweden i dont miss a game watching on my computer at home GO PACK

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was a kid one of my favorite uncles was a Packers fan and that got me interested.

Later on in my teens I discovered that 90% of the people from Minn are ****** bags and think they are better than everyone else and I cant support anything that has to do with the state. I mean common, they elected a pro wrestler as governor!

Finally the History of the Packers and the fact that such a small city can support a team better than Chicago or Minneapolis sealed the deal.

Die hard Packers fan for life. Not like the Bears or the Vikings were they only admit they are fans when the team is winning. I wear it even during a 4-12 year.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Growing up in WI, for one. My earliest memory regarding the Packers was the Monday Night game vs. the Redskins, 1983. I spent the night @ my grandparents house where I witnessed my grandpa going nuts over the actions on the television. I remember feeling the sense of curiousity over his passion over the game/team. From what I can remember, it was my first game I actually sat through, and I was hooked. My mother was a hard core Packer fan as well. Funny side note to the story, while watching the wild-card game vs. Arizona, my 8 year old son sat and watched the entire game with me, his 1st game sitting through, and while I coached from the couch, I thought this must be what it was like for my grandpa that Monday night.

My hubby and I were at that game with my parents. That was one wild night and I understand it is still the highest scoring game in MNF history!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I believe it was the Nov. 6, 1966. I was watching the Vikings at Green Bay. The Vikings won the game. The next day at school I told everyone I was a Vikings fan and they were so PO'd at me and I loved it. (Been getting under the skins of Packer fans ever since) The Packers have been my "second" team every since. I know some don't think it's possible, but I do like to see them do well. Just not against my "first" team.

Members online

Latest posts