Who's out position by position next year

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this post now, and give my opinions on this. As far as I'm concerned several players from this team need to go, because either A. They cost too much to keep or B. They don't play NFL caliber football. I'll take it by position and give reasons for who needs to go.

Quarterback: Everybody stays. Rodgers will be the starter, the other 2 aren't developed enough. I'm not even sure right now if we could trust Harrell to relieve Rodgers for the rest of a game if Aaron were injured

Running backs: James Starks needs to go. He can't stay healthy, and when he has over the last 2 seasons he's not ran well. He got us to the Superbowl in 2010, but nothing since then. I also think we'll see Ryan Grant let go. He's shown flashes of what he was, but not enough to keep. I also think with the emergence of Harris and with a hopefully un-injured Green both of them are expendable. I'm not sure whether I see Ted giving Benson another try.

Wide Receivers: Driver is definitely gone. Age, injury, and I think he's fallen out of favor with the coaching staff or management for some reason, I think he'll retire though and not get the boot. Jennings is gone too. He spent most of the year hurt, and as a free agent based on this year, he's not worth the franchise tag, or the salary someone else will give him. Jeremy Ross or Boykin will also be gone. I'd rather keep Boykin from a receing standpoint, but only if he can be taught, and would be willing to return punts and kicks.

Tight Ends: Finley needs to go! Attitude issues, drops, more attitude than effort right now. Not worth the money. I can also see Williams or Taylor being gone, not both. Quarless goes too if they draft a TE.

O-Line: Dietrich-Smith. There's a reason the guy hasn't been a legit starter until this year, and in the passing game he's not as good as he could or should be given the time he's had playing the last 2 seasons. I also don't think Saturday even makes it back to camp this coming year, probable retirement.

D-Line: Mike Neal. Drug suspension, injuries. He's only shown flashes of being an NFL player. I can also see them letting go of Pickett depending on how well Worthy comes back from injury.

Linebackers: HAWK! He's a wreck in coverage, he's not even a 3 down linebacker anymore and some in the Milwaukee media were even grumbling about him not making the team this year before Bishop went down. I also think Francoise or Lattimore don't make it back because they can't even get on the field. Prior to the game tonight I would've also put Erik Walden on that list, but now I'm on the fence about him. I think Moses is better at that spot, and with Perry hopefully coming back he'd be 3rd or 4th deep outside. Zombo I think is gone too, but don't hold me on that.

DBs: Woodson we know is probably retiring, so he's gone. I'd like to see them get rid of or trade Morgan Burnett, and put Heyward at safety with Jennings. I'm also going to say Jarrett Bush probably doesn't come back. I had heard knocks on him in pre-season from Milwaukee media, so I was surprised he made the team THIS year.

Special Teams: Crosby has got to go! Somebody will come up in Free Agency, or the draft that will be better at him. I think they were stuck with him this year, and they saw early on he wasn't where he was supposed to be when they started talking about the new addition affecting the wind patterns, and don't get me wrong I believe that to an extent, but his misses were more than what that addition could cause.

I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts, even though it's not the end of the season yet.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this post now, and give my opinions on this. As far as I'm concerned several players from this team need to go, because either A. They cost too much to keep or B. They don't play NFL caliber football. I'll take it by position and give reasons for who needs to go.

Quarterback: Everybody stays. Rodgers will be the starter, the other 2 aren't developed enough. I'm not even sure right now if we could trust Harrell to relieve Rodgers for the rest of a game if Aaron were injured

Running backs: James Starks needs to go. He can't stay healthy, and when he has over the last 2 seasons he's not ran well. He got us to the Superbowl in 2010, but nothing since then. I also think we'll see Ryan Grant let go. He's shown flashes of what he was, but not enough to keep. I also think with the emergence of Harris and with a hopefully un-injured Green both of them are expendable. I'm not sure whether I see Ted giving Benson another try.

Wide Receivers: Driver is definitely gone. Age, injury, and I think he's fallen out of favor with the coaching staff or management for some reason, I think he'll retire though and not get the boot. Jennings is gone too. He spent most of the year hurt, and as a free agent based on this year, he's not worth the franchise tag, or the salary someone else will give him. Jeremy Ross or Boykin will also be gone. I'd rather keep Boykin from a receing standpoint, but only if he can be taught, and would be willing to return punts and kicks.

Tight Ends: Finley needs to go! Attitude issues, drops, more attitude than effort right now. Not worth the money. I can also see Williams or Taylor being gone, not both. Quarless goes too if they draft a TE.

O-Line: Dietrich-Smith. There's a reason the guy hasn't been a legit starter until this year, and in the passing game he's not as good as he could or should be given the time he's had playing the last 2 seasons. I also don't think Saturday even makes it back to camp this coming year, probable retirement.

D-Line: Mike Neal. Drug suspension, injuries. He's only shown flashes of being an NFL player. I can also see them letting go of Pickett depending on how well Worthy comes back from injury.

Linebackers: HAWK! He's a wreck in coverage, he's not even a 3 down linebacker anymore and some in the Milwaukee media were even grumbling about him not making the team this year before Bishop went down. I also think Francoise or Lattimore don't make it back because they can't even get on the field. Prior to the game tonight I would've also put Erik Walden on that list, but now I'm on the fence about him. I think Moses is better at that spot, and with Perry hopefully coming back he'd be 3rd or 4th deep outside. Zombo I think is gone too, but don't hold me on that.

DBs: Woodson we know is probably retiring, so he's gone. I'd like to see them get rid of or trade Morgan Burnett, and put Heyward at safety with Jennings. I'm also going to say Jarrett Bush probably doesn't come back. I had heard knocks on him in pre-season from Milwaukee media, so I was surprised he made the team THIS year.

Special Teams: Crosby has got to go! Somebody will come up in Free Agency, or the draft that will be better at him. I think they were stuck with him this year, and they saw early on he wasn't where he was supposed to be when they started talking about the new addition affecting the wind patterns, and don't get me wrong I believe that to an extent, but his misses were more than what that addition could cause.

I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts, even though it's not the end of the season yet.
You are so boot.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby can be replaced in Free Agency or Draft probably. Seriously, some of Crosby's misses had me wondering if Ted still had Max Zendejas' number. It's either replace Crosby, or start outfitting vendors with kevlar and football helmets

DBs we've got enough to cover, and we could find 1 or 2 UFAs that could play. Ted is good at that. (Desmond Moses was a UFA)

Center we can draft, or we could maybe move Sitton or Lang to Center and put Barclay at guard maybe? That is if Bulaga's hip isn't too bad. Sherrod hopefully coming back could cause this particular move to happen with Sitton or Lang.

same with linebacker, we can draft, though we can stand the hits at LB without too much problem. Dream scenario here is get back into late 1 and get Te'O but I've got a better shot at hitting the lottery than this happening. Do we at least agree here on Hawk?

Tight end we can either go with what we have or draft. We really don't need 5 TE on the roster next year.

WR we can draft, if we need to.

I don't think we need to draft at RB, maybe a UFA for depth IF Ted doesn't bring back Benson. I do wish we still had Marc Tyler though, that would help this issue. We've also got Kuhn who could play RB if needed, though his natural position is fullback.

D-Line could be a problem depending on how Worthy's knee turns out.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow ! you are an animal. Lol. I'll bite.

O-line: Saturday gone, we will get back Sherrod and Bulaga maybe draft one or two more and keep the best unit.
WR: Jennings, Driver are gone. Keep Boykin and Ross and all others.
TE: Finley gone, maybe draft one
QB: stand pat
RB: Grant, Starks gone, keep the rest, maybe get Benson back, or draft one.
DL: Raji,Worthy,Daniels,Wilson, stay, Pickett(maybe), Draft one more
OL: Matthews, Perry, Walden, Neal, stay, But always draft one if a good pass rusher is available
IL : Bishop stays, I'm not attached to the rest of them. Draft one at least and see what we have then.
DBs: stand pat
Special teams: Crosby needs to win the job. Otherwise same

I'm not sure how many picks we have this year but we have a strong team to begin with. You dont get rid of a player without having a better one or at least a good reason. Its fun to speculate, but it doesnt matter because TT almost always goes with the best player available anyway. In Ted we trust !

12theTruth

Gone:

Crosby - McCarthy once again wouldn't attempt a 50+ against the Vikes when presented the opportunity. Something he WOULD have done a year or two ago. No confidence in that area of Crosby's game.

Driver - A great Packer who will be missed for his enthusiasm and professionalism. He brought many smiles to Packer fans over his years here.

Saturday - Curious signing in the first place. Just physically beaten down and apparently can't withstand the rigors of NFL gameday any longer.

Starks - Injury magnet. Time to move on.

Grant - Zero lateral movement. Will only get what's blocked on any runs to the outside. Serviceable on inside running plays.

Finley - Another dropped pass against the Vikes.. this time for a TD. Combine his drops with his big mouth and its time for the Packers to either trade him or release him.

Brandon Saine - Didn't seem to get much an opportunity. He did show a few flashes when on field but he didn't get the carries to show his worth that Starks, Green, Benson, Grant, Harris all did. I lean towards Saine being gone, although I hope Ted brings him back.

Eric Walden - Walden is a UFA. It looks like he could have a monster postseason performance. Don't expect the Packers to be able to afford to match the contract another team will likely offer. Plus we have Nick Perry waiting in the wings.

STAY

Woodson -- has enough in his tank to play one more year. We see how much he means to the defense in their inspired performance last night-- even though some on this forum were writing him off due to our defense able to improve our stats without him on the field in the latter part of this season.

Jennings -- Packers sign him to a 5 year deal. :)

Brad Jones -- Another UFA. Has definite limitations. Capers likes him.

EDS -- A UFA who will have little demand so the Pack should be able to keep him.

Hawk -- Isn't going anywhere unless we could trade him. Highly unlikely that happens.

Uncertain:

Cedric Benson
Aaron Rodgers seemed to really, really like Cedric Benson and what he brought to the offense. Whether that is enough to keep him on roster time will tell I guess.

Alex Green
Alex Green can't even make it on the field for hardly any carries though he is back to health on the 53 man roster. His 2nd round pick status has helped him stay on the roster but the fact he is bypassed over by Harris and Grant should speak volumes. I still think the 2nd round label makes him stick.

My best guess goes like this

1. Cedric Benson
2. Dujuan Harris
3. Alex Green
4. John Kuhn -FB
5. currently not on roster (Top 4 round back)

Instead of carrying 7 wideouts as we have this year. Add a stud RB to add depth and develop into a bona-fide Number 1 a couple years down the road.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Bitten. Do you know anything about football? ANYTHING?
Read: As far as I'm concerned EVERY player from this team needs to go. You can't have a team where everybody is at Matthews and Rodgers level, it just doesn't happen. Don't you know the percentages? Core players, role players, and the bottom 20%

Harrell not gone?! Shocked you didn't throw him out like you did everybody else that wasn't "playing at an NFL level"

So far so reasonable

Boykin is a ST block/tackle, He and Ross might be gone depending on who comes in next year. Don't think Boykin will do well on kicks.

Even now I can see some sensibility left.

There it is. Get rid of both Centers. BRILLIANT. FYI EDS has graded out well at Center, hasn't allowed much if any pressure. Even if he didn't he grades well for a backup.

Because Worthy plays NT and Pickett is a DE... Fail again. Neal has done well, and is finally healthy. Suppose we should ditch Clay for all the Hammy issues too.

Don't put Hawk in coverage, move him back to his real position and let him do what he's good at. Problem solved. You know what's not solved if we release Hawk? The Cap Penalty we face because of the money we owe him.

The fact that you release Burnett over Jennings just shows how little you know IMO. Hayward at safety was funny too.

I don't think you care about ST at all, you released BOTH captains and a couple of contributors.

Everyone else thinks you're a troll, as you see in the comments above. But since you asked, Kuhn is 30, and only has a year left on his contract. Plus it's no secret we want to run more singleback. Could wind up gone with all the time Williams and Taylor spend on lead blocker.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of comments. First Benson. He signed a one year contract for the veteran minimum and will be a free agent. So do the Packers want to invest in a RB that is 30 years old coming off Lisfranc surgery? Likely gone

Finley stays. Only some fans and a beat writer have him leaving. Thompson stands by his guys which leads me to my next comment.

Crosby will stay. If they stood by him through his funk then he will be back.

Jennings, Grant and Saturday gone for sure.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt there will be an above avg amount of turn over on next years team, you are going to the extreme.

Benson, grant, Jennings, driver, finley, and Saturday seem all likely to be gone. There's some guys on the fence as well.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bitten. Do you know anything about football? ANYTHING?
Read: As far as I'm concerned EVERY player from this team needs to go. You can't have a team where everybody is at Matthews and Rodgers level, it just doesn't happen. Don't you know the percentages? Core players, role players, and the bottom 20%

Harrell not gone?! Shocked you didn't throw him out like you did everybody else that wasn't "playing at an NFL level"

So far so reasonable

Boykin is a ST block/tackle, He and Ross might be gone depending on who comes in next year. Don't think Boykin will do well on kicks.

Even now I can see some sensibility left.

There it is. Get rid of both Centers. BRILLIANT. FYI EDS has graded out well at Center, hasn't allowed much if any pressure. Even if he didn't he grades well for a backup.

Because Worthy plays NT and Pickett is a DE... Fail again. Neal has done well, and is finally healthy. Suppose we should ditch Clay for all the Hammy issues too.

Don't put Hawk in coverage, move him back to his real position and let him do what he's good at. Problem solved. You know what's not solved if we release Hawk? The Cap Penalty we face because of the money we owe him.

The fact that you release Burnett over Jennings just shows how little you know IMO. Hayward at safety was funny too.

I don't think you care about ST at all, you released BOTH captains and a couple of contributors.

Everyone else thinks you're a troll, as you see in the comments above. But since you asked, Kuhn is 30, and only has a year left on his contract. Plus it's no secret we want to run more singleback. Could wind up gone with all the time Williams and Taylor spend on lead blocker.

While you may THINK you are right in 2 areas above, please let me educate you. 1. Pickett is 330 pounds, not many defensive ends play at that size, and if he IS a defensive end, he's a back up, and probably a high cap number back up. 2. YES get rid of both centers. I can name 3 guys from the National Championship game alone that could be drafted by Green Bay in either round 3 or 4 and be a better Center than EDS 2 of which could do it as rookies next year.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is a conversation for February, not January. But I will make one, and only one comment. You CANNOT have an entire roster of Pro Bowl players.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And as far as Harrell is concerned, I keep him for one more year to see if he shows improvement. Then in 2014, I start looking for the heir apparent, cause Aaron will be in his 6th year as a starter and 10th (by 2014) in the NFL. The guy I would draft in 2014 is a very good QB, and could be developed from 2014-2016 and if Aaron retires after 2016, or gets hurt, this kid could be brought in immediately.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is a conversation for February, not January. But I will make one, and only one comment. You CANNOT have an entire roster of Pro Bowl players.

I agree 100% but if you can conceivably upgrade in weak spots, and in most areas with lower cap numbers in this day and age in the NFL, you would be stupid not to, even if you have to draft and develop, or draft and play them immediately.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While you may THINK you are right in 2 areas above, please let me educate you. 1. Pickett is 330 pounds, not many defensive ends play at that size, and if he IS a defensive end, he's a back up, and probably a high cap number back up. 2. YES get rid of both centers. I can name 3 guys from the National Championship game alone that could be drafted by Green Bay in either round 3 or 4 and be a better Center than EDS 2 of which could do it as rookies next year.

Ryan is LDE according to packers.com

Neal is 2nd and Daniels is 3rd He is BJ back up

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And as far as Harrell is concerned, I keep him for one more year to see if he shows improvement. Then in 2014, I start looking for the heir apparent, cause Aaron will be in his 6th year as a starter and 10th (by 2014) in the NFL. The guy I would draft in 2014 is a very good QB, and could be developed from 2014-2016 and if Aaron retires after 2016, or gets hurt, this kid could be brought in immediately.

You're expecting to replace Rodgers by the time he's 33? Really?

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw alot of Neal and Daniels this year and not much of Pickett for whatever reason so pardon my confusion. Pickett is also 33, and at some point he has to go. Why keep him?

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're expecting to replace Rodgers by the time he's 33? Really?

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. It's always possible Aaron's next snap could be his last, especially with how many sacks he's taken this year. And also, if you aren't always looking to bring in the next starter in case of injury or ineffectiveness you don't last long as GM or head coach. That's why we had Brunell, Detmer, McMahon, we had Wariner in camp for a while, Peterson, the list goes on and on in the 90's. And it's ultimately why we drafted Aaron. We knew our QB was getting up there, and not as good as he was, and Sherman made the decision to draft him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. It's always possible Aaron's next snap could be his last, especially with how many sacks he's taken this year. And also, if you aren't always looking to bring in the next starter in case of injury or ineffectiveness you don't last long as GM or head coach. That's why we had Brunell, Detmer, McMahon, we had Wariner in camp for a while, Peterson, the list goes on and on in the 90's. And it's ultimately why we drafted Aaron. We knew our QB was getting up there, and not as good as he was, and Sherman made the decision to draft him.

Warner was a camp arm, never a serious consideration to make the roster.

33 is still an effective age for a QB.

You can play scarred. The next play could be any players last play. Terrible way to think.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fail again. Seems sarcasm isn't your forte either. Pickett is a NT, while you seem to know that you indicated nothing of the sort in your first post when you suggested that Worthy, a DE could replace him, especially since Worthy has been unable to even unseat Wilson from that starting DE spot all year long. Who backs up Raji in your little scenario?

Most likely one of the candidates you speak of is Cave. Who the others are, I'd like to know. Your blindness to the value of EDS as a back-up astounds me.

Personally I'd like to see your offseason mock. 7 round draft, compensatory picks, trades, free agents, releases, re-signings, and final 53 man roster at the beginning of the season. If you do bother to indulge me, o wise one, be sure to list the price tags so we know our cap. The floor is yours Mr. GM, sir. It may do you some good.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Center we can draft, or we could maybe move Sitton or Lang to Center and put Barclay at guard maybe? That is if Bulaga's hip isn't too bad. Sherrod hopefully coming back could cause this particular move to happen with Sitton or Lang.

same with linebacker, we can draft, though we can stand the hits at LB without too much problem. Dream scenario here is get back into late 1 and get Te'O but I've got a better shot at hitting the lottery than this happening. Do we at least agree here on Hawk?

I don't think we need to draft at RB, maybe a UFA for depth IF Ted doesn't bring back Benson. I do wish we still had Marc Tyler though, that would help this issue. We've also got Kuhn who could play RB if needed, though his natural position is fullback.
Ok, THIS made me lol
I saw alot of Neal and Daniels this year and not much of Pickett for whatever reason so pardon my confusion. Pickett is also 33, and at some point he has to go. Why keep him?
Just a quick question, what Defensive scheme do we run and what is the primary role of each position? Just curious to hear your opinion.
Ryan is LDE according to packers.com
Neal is 2nd and Daniels is 3rd He is BJ back up
He's listed as a DT on the roster, but then again so is Miller, and Daniels started the year there too.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this post now, and give my opinions on this. As far as I'm concerned several players from this team need to go, because either A. They cost too much to keep or B. They don't play NFL caliber football. I'll take it by position and give reasons for who needs to go....
{your quotes }

Quarterback: Everybody stays. Rodgers will be the starter, the other 2 aren't developed enough. ....
Harrell will have to earn his spot in camp next year. Make or break for him.

Running backs: James Starks needs to go. Agreed
Ryan Grant -- injury replacement for this season only. Not back for camp.
Harris will have to earn his spot in camp next year. He is on the roster and will need to keep it by staying healthy and developing.
Green also needs to learn to stay healthy.
I'm not sure whether I see Ted giving Benson another try. I do
Brandon Saine should also have a shot at the spot.
I think Kuhn is a bubble boy next year.

Wide Receivers: Driver is definitely gone. ....I think he'll retire Agreed
Jennings is gone too. ...he's not worth the salary someone else will give him. He won't get the tag.
Jeremy Ross or Boykin will both be at camp next year, Ross with the first shot after Cobb of being the kick returner.

Tight Ends: Finley needs to go! FAIL! He's back.
I can also see Williams or Taylor being gone, not both. Both earn there spots on ST and as an H-back blocking.
Quarless goes too if they draft a TE. Only if he is beat out in camp.

O-Line: Dietrich-Smith. There's a reason the guy hasn't been a legit starter until this year, In another post you call for draft and develop. He is exhibit 1a (Newsome is 1b)
I also don't think Saturday even makes it back to camp this coming year, probable retirement. true
D-Line: Mike Neal. He's a starter next year.
Pickett just had his best year. He's at least a backup NT if not a starter.
Worthy gets a shot to unseat Wilson and Neal.

Linebackers: HAWK! will be too expensive cap wise to unload nest year. Also, who replaces him, Jones?
Francoise or Lattimore need to earn their spots again.
Erik Walden ... I think Moses is better at that spot, and with Perry hopefully coming back he'd be 3rd or 4th deep outside. Zombo I think is gone too, agreed

DBs: Woodson we know is probably retiring, so he's gone. he'll be back for one more hurrah.
,Morgan Burnett ain't going anywhere.
Heyward at safety with Jennings. huh?
Shields is a free agent next year also.
I'm also going to say Jarrett Bush probably doesn't come back. he's back unless they need his spot due to camp injuries. His forte is ST and MM and TT take great stock in that ability.

I had heard knocks on him in pre-season from Milwaukee media, so I was surprised he made the team THIS year. Stay on this board and you too will learn to appreciate the role players and also learn how to observe the players and make your own opinions without parroting the media.

Special Teams: will not change but expect camp competition.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With regards to the original topic, it takes a real "glass is half empty" outlook to sit around thinking about next year's team in terms of who shouldn't be on it.

Reaction score
As much as I love to see people thrown under the bus, the only sure people I see gone are Finley and Saturday. EDS was always training to take over at center. We've even seen him there a few games.

Next year our line should be at full strength with the actual picks we made.

My hopefuls are: Green and Starks OUT!!! We keep Benson at league minimum and keep Harris. Draft another RB.

Hawk is a Packer favorite. He stays.

PoS Finley is totally gone!!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
As much as I love to see people thrown under the bus, the only sure people I see gone are Finley and Saturday. EDS was always training to take over at center. We've even seen him there a few games.

Next year our line should be at full strength with the actual picks we made.

My hopefuls are: Green and Starks OUT!!! We keep Benson at league minimum and keep Harris. Draft another RB.

Hawk is a Packer favorite. He stays.

PoS Finley is totally gone!!
I dunno, I feel Green can be an effective 3rd down back for us

Staff online

Latest posts