Who's looked good to you so far this year?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I would assume some of us spend Saturdays the way we spend Sundays, watching football. And as such, there's gotta be a few guys out there that you'd love to see in green and gold.

First and foremost: LaMichael James. I don't know if we have any Oregon Ducks here, but simply put this is the most explosive back I've ever seen. So balanced, runs with BLAZING speed (track team member) and runs with some aggresiveness. He'd be such a great compliment to Ryan Grant next year.

Also a huge fan of Alshon Jeffery out of South Carolina. He reminds me of Calvin Johnson. Just throw it in his direction and he'll come down with it. We won't need a WR, but he still looks damn good.

And finally, Patrick Peterson of LSU. A guy that Herm Edwards said will make Darelle Revis the 2nd best corner in football the second he comes into the league. Returns kicks. LOCK DOWN on the corner, simply put he's the best defensive player in the nation.

Any guys you've noticed?

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James is a very explosive back, but not as fast as you think. Runs an estimated 4.42...and even Ryan Grant ran a 4.43.

Jeffery is a big target, but is no CJ. More of a Colston type. Isn't as fast as CJ (4.56) but is a load at 6-4 232.

Peterson is the ultimate combination of size and speed in a CB. Is 6-1 222 and runs a 4.42e. Would most likely be gone by any of our picks but look for him in Buffalo if he declares.

The drawback is that all of these guys are underclassmen and have not yet declared for the draft. But they have until mid January so we have some time.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Peterson is the ultimate combination of size and speed in a CB. Is 6-1 222 and runs a 4.42e. Would most likely be gone by any of our picks but look for him in Buffalo if he declares.
I agree. He's a top 5, probably top 3 pick.

We'd need him to tear an ACL this week to have a shot at him.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've thought that same thing many times this year while watching the Badgers.

And I'd love to have him.

First, he has to declare for the draft.

Second, he would be awesome as a DE in our scheme. He is 6-6, 292 and runs an estimated 4.87! Great speed for a 3-4 DE.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a diehard Auburn Tigers fan I see 2 guys that can make IMMEDIATE impact in the NFL, both on defense, but only one would fit with Green Bay. That man is Josh Bynes inside linebacker Auburn. 6'3 235 and looks to be about 245. Quarterback of the Auburn defense. He's a lot like AJ Hawk or Brian Noble was at 22/23, he just finds and brings down the guy with the ball.

ONLY downside I see with him is Auburn plays a 4-3, and he'd probably have to learn the 3-4. And I STILL think he could play year 1 as a backup and start year 2.

The other guy who I know wouldn't fit our 3-4 is Nick Fairley.

Seriously watch the BCS Championship, you'll see what I'm talking about with Bynes.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a diehard Auburn Tigers fan I see 2 guys that can make IMMEDIATE impact in the NFL, both on defense, but only one would fit with Green Bay. That man is Josh Bynes inside linebacker Auburn. 6'3 235 and looks to be about 245. Quarterback of the Auburn defense. He's a lot like AJ Hawk or Brian Noble was at 22/23, he just finds and brings down the guy with the ball.

ONLY downside I see with him is Auburn plays a 4-3, and he'd probably have to learn the 3-4. And I STILL think he could play year 1 as a backup and start year 2.

The other guy who I know wouldn't fit our 3-4 is Nick Fairley.

Seriously watch the BCS Championship, you'll see what I'm talking about with Bynes.

Bynes would be an OK prospect in the 5th or 6th round, but his lack of speed scares me (4.78). More of an effort player in the gaps, but won't bother anyone in the pass rush.

I have to disagree about Fairley not fitting. I think he would be a great DE for us who can get some pressure. Remember, solid DEs in the 3-4 are smaller, faster DTs in college. Fairley has the size (6-4, 298) and speed (4.92) to be effective. Although he would be out of our range, I would love to have him...but he should go top 10.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point about Fairley and Bynes is that I think Bynes fits better in the scheme.

Fairley is like 292 so he'd be lighter than some of the guys we've had at DE this year at times, but I'm not sure he fits speed wise at DE, and at DT he's too light to play 3-4.

Bynes I see the way I saw AJ when AJ was a Senior. The difference is this, Bynes is on a National Championship caliber defense, AND making the calls, where AJ was playing outside and wasn't. As far as his speed I was SHOCKED when I saw that he ran 4.7. He plays faster, and some of the scouting report 'tentative at times' is one thing and there were others that I don't agree with about him.

Watch him in the BCS title game. He totally got ripped in the scouting report.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point about Fairley and Bynes is that I think Bynes fits better in the scheme.

Fairley is like 292 so he'd be lighter than some of the guys we've had at DE this year at times, but I'm not sure he fits speed wise at DE, and at DT he's too light to play 3-4.

Bynes I see the way I saw AJ when AJ was a Senior. The difference is this, Bynes is on a National Championship caliber defense, AND making the calls, where AJ was playing outside and wasn't. As far as his speed I was SHOCKED when I saw that he ran 4.7. He plays faster, and some of the scouting report 'tentative at times' is one thing and there were others that I don't agree with about him.

Watch him in the BCS title game. He totally got ripped in the scouting report.

Typical DEs in the 3-4 are undersized DTs. Do you know what the average weight for a DE in the 3-4 defense in the NFL is right now? It's 301 lbs. Now that is considering some starters who have added bulk since joining the league. I think that Fariley would be well within the size range to play DE in the 3-4. The optimal weight is between 290 and 310 BTW. Do you know the average 40 time for a DE in the 3-4? It is 5.16...another stat that Fariley is well within the limits for.

I think you should consider some other scouting sources. Try NFLDS...we provide all the info for CBS Sports in their draft section. And yes, that 4.78 is not great, but for a ILB you just have to be able to accelerate, not run guys down. But I would still prefer a quicker guy in there.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical DEs in the 3-4 are undersized DTs. Do you know what the average weight for a DE in the 3-4 defense in the NFL is right now? It's 301 lbs. Now that is considering some starters who have added bulk since joining the league. I think that Fariley would be well within the size range to play DE in the 3-4. The optimal weight is between 290 and 310 BTW. Do you know the average 40 time for a DE in the 3-4? It is 5.16...another stat that Fariley is well within the limits for.

I think you should consider some other scouting sources. Try NFLDS...we provide all the info for CBS Sports in their draft section. And yes, that 4.78 is not great, but for a ILB you just have to be able to accelerate, not run guys down. But I would still prefer a quicker guy in there.

I would've guessed that DE in a 3-4 weight to be down around 270. If it IS 301 then yes Nick would fit as he's 295.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now Kerrigan is listed at 263 so he is more likely to be 4-3 DE. You would have to ask him to gain 25-30lbs before the season and not have him lose more than 3 tenths. I think looking at other guys would be a better choice.

Members online

Latest posts