Who would you draft?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take this as a jab but i'll bite just because. The Green Bay Packers have traded their 1st rd. pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for Safety Eric Berry. There ya go...happy now?

Why in the world would the Chiefs trade him?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world would the Chiefs trade him?

I'm not saying they would i was just throwing that out there to mess with longtime. would be nice tho. Maybe we throw in a 3rd as well? stranger things have happened on draft day so.....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you could get Eric Berry with the 16th overall pick and our third rounder you'd do it in a second. You'd also have to cobble together something trying to prove that the Chiefs' GM wasn't heavily intoxicated during the trade.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying they would i was just throwing that out there to mess with longtime. would be nice tho. Maybe we throw in a 3rd as well? stranger things have happened on draft day so.....

I wonder who the new chiefs gm would be after they fire Dorsey for doing something that stupid.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder who the new chiefs gm would be after they fire Dorsey for doing something that stupid.

You guys do realize i wasnt serious right? Geeze you fellas are to easy. As i said in a previous post i did it to mess with longtime for taking a jab at me. Id question the motives of kc if they agreed to that myself.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It typically takes 2 years to develop a WR, even if he's an upper round pick.

Let's say Finley counts as 1/2 of a WR.

Finley has a career threatening injury and his contract is up...it's likely he'll be unsigned at draft time. Jones may be unsigned or gone at the time of the draft. Nelson will be an FA after next season. Cobb is coming off a serious injury. I'd say WR is a need position in an offense that should be 4 deep, or at least 3 deep with a WR-like TE option. As a side note that plays into the equation, Quarless will also be a FA after this season.

We could be going into next season with Nelson, Boykin, a questionable Cobb, Bostick and just some guys, with Nelson in his contract year. That's not a good look.

Like I said, we need to see how things develop between now and the draft, but WR or a TE/WR hybrid could be a high need position especially if Cobb does not come back this season where his recovery can be evaluated based on game play, for which there is no substitute.

Cobb was definitely a need pick. Jones was unsigned at the time of the 2011 draft, Driver was in decline and Jennings was a FA 2 years out. I observed at the time that the sigining of Cobb, a slot receiver type, was a signal that difficulties in resigning Jennings were anticipated, a guy who made a lot of hay for us out of the slot. I would observe that the absence of Jennings and Cobb on the field this season goes a long way toward explaining our poor red zone performance this season even before Rodgers was injured illustrating the criticality of the slot receiver in this offense.

Bostick provides the same size/speed measurables as Finley and has shown decent hands on his few targets. Quarless shouldn't cost much so I'd suspect he'll be back as the blocking TE complement to Bostick's TE/WR hybrid profile.

In light of these realities, WR should be fairly high up the needs list.
I like your thinking. How about a nice large possession guy like a Mike Evans? Evans and Jordy on the outside with Cobb in the slot is a scary thought for every DC in the league.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
OP asked for picks by position so here goes:
QB: UCLAs Hundley, he might be around in the 3rd.
OL: just thinking of Matthews being available makes my eyes water. Never gonna happen but Lewan from Michigan is a beast.
RB: I don't particularly like much about this RB class but I think Hyde from Ohio State has a chance.
TE: Amaro is the obvious pick but I think 1st round is too early. Seferian-Jenkins would be a nice addition.
WR: I really wish Mike Evans would be available but I highly doubt it. I drool at the though of him and Jordy at bookends. Robinson from Penn State would be a nice consolation prize.
DL: Nix is the man but if Notre Dame's Tuitt dropped you'd have to consider it.
LB: Shazier (I know, too many Buckeyes but I have to watch them as my son in law is a Buckeye). Borland has a nasty streak a mile wide and he'd be an instant fan favorite here. Borland could be a nice value if he lasts till later.
CB: Virginia Tech's Fuller or Purifoy from Fla. Taller corners. Love to see some length for once.
Safety: I think this guy is on every Packer fans' radar: Haha C-D. The Packers have always had great safeties. It's time to right that ship.
In order of needs its: FS, DL (nose), ILB.
Talking draft before the season is over is not an admission the season is in the tank. I'll talk draft a week after the draft has concluded. This is how the Packers are built so it's a huge deal for me as a fan.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde? -No thanks. That Borland kid is good though. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I can see us drafting any of 10 or so guys if we stay where we are.

Not going to draft a WR, QB, RB, OT, G, ect in the first round. That really helps narrow it down. I think we will have a great opportunity to pick a play maker bc we will be one of the highest drafting teams that doesn't draft a QB OT or WR.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I think I can see us drafting any of 10 or so guys if we stay where we are.

Not going to draft a WR, QB, RB, OT, G, ect in the first round. That really helps narrow it down. I think we will have a great opportunity to pick a play maker bc we will be one of the highest drafting teams that doesn't draft a QB OT or WR.
In light of the probable fact that Finley is never coming back and that we may not be resigning JJ and that we only have 3 WRs, why do you not see us getting a WR if BPA is one?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In light of the probable fact that Finley is never coming back and that we may not be resigning JJ and that we only have 3 WRs, why do you not see us getting a WR if BPA is one?

1. TT doesn't draft WRs in the 1st
2. High fail rate for WRs in 1st
3. Not a need
4. Won't contribute for a year or two at least. As historically WRs don't.

I could easily see us replacing Finley at the TE position. Otherwise it's defensive.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde? -No thanks. That Borland kid is good though. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It will be very interesting to see when & where Borland goes. Will the NFL braintrust do it's usual and ridiculous "he is not the prototypical size" for his position which will see his draft stock plummet? My guess is he does go in the 2nd round and whoever picks him up is going to be very, very happy.

Ray Lewis was not the prototypical size at linebacker either, however he had tremendous drive, attitude and football instinct, just like Borland.

Would love to see the Pack pick him up in the 2nd round if he is available.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
3. Not a need

I could easily see us replacing Finley at the TE position. Otherwise it's defensive.
TT picked Nelson with his first pick in 08, the 5th pick of the 2nd round. Not a 1st round pick but only 6 picks later than we would have picked if we didn't trade down out of the 1st round. I think he worked out well. With only 4 viable WRs on our roster, I think its a need. But I do agree, we have greater needs. Its just that we have so many needs this year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys do realize i wasnt serious right? Geeze you fellas are to easy. As i said in a previous post i did it to mess with longtime for taking a jab at me. Id question the motives of kc if they agreed to that myself.

Sorry,I wasn't poking fun at your post, I knew it was a joke. Just thought it was fun to imagine the Chiefs GM on a bender making crazy trades.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3. Not a need

Gotta go defense imo. Could go tightend but we have alot of guy's on the dline that may not be here next yr. Going to need some depth there.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interesting thing about this draft is that the only teams in front of the Packers that need a TE are probably the bucs and the texans, however they are going to be so high in the drafting order that I doubt they use their picks on a TE and will look to fill other needs such as DE and OL. On the flip side there are more than a few teams in front the Packers that need a safety and could pick Clinton-Dix if the pack stays where they are now which is right in the middle of the draft.

Because the Packers are in desperate need of a safety, one the teams within 3 picks ahead of them will pick Clinton-Dix (just the way our luck will go), I also believe Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB out of Oregon will be off the board so the Pack won't be tempted to pick him. So what I am getting at is if the above 2 picks are off the board, I believe you will see the Pack spend their 1st round pick on yet another receiving threat with Jace Amero.

Not saying it is the right pick, just saying that is my gut feeling.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
One more thought: Since last year's draft was so safety-heavy do you think safeties will fall a bit this year allowing the Packers to get a steal?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Gotta go defense imo. Could go tightend but we have alot of guy's on the dline that may not be here next yr. Going to need some depth there.
Yep, I think Nix is the man if we can get him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big question for everyone is where do the packers draft. We might not win another game.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Ha' Dix would be the best thing for the Packers, i'm not a big fan of trading that many picks for Berry, you should also look at the paycheck Berry is on, that is wayy over our budget, considering we already are overpaying one safety.
If we were to pay that kind of money for a safety, I would consider Jarius Byrd, he's UFA after this season, avg. salery should be a few mil. per season cheaper, and we don't have to use draft picks.

Louis Nix would be a steal, doesn't look like he will drop further than mid round 1.

TE Jace Amaro is looking to be a round 1 pick, and with Finley's Q's we need something at that position, though i'm not a fan of drafting i TE in RD1.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Ha' Dix would be the best thing for the Packers, i'm not a big fan of trading that many picks for Berry, you should also look at the paycheck Berry is on, that is wayy over our budget, considering we already are overpaying one safety.
If we were to pay that kind of money for a safety, I would consider Jarius Byrd, he's UFA after this season, avg. salery should be a few mil. per season cheaper, and we don't have to use draft picks.

Louis Nix would be a steal, doesn't look like he will drop further than mid round 1.

TE Jace Amaro is looking to be a round 1 pick, and with Finley's Q's we need something at that position, though i'm not a fan of drafting i TE in RD1.
If there's not a safety or ILB worth taking when we pick I would absolutely take Jace.