Who wins the starting job: #2 safety

Who wins the job and starts the game against Drew Brees and the high-flying New Orlea

• Morgan Burnett, the 2010 high draft pick

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Charlie Peprah, Super Bowl starter

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Atari Bigby, finally healthy, shows his form from 2007-2008

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to be polling you guys, the PACKER NATION, for some key questions as far as roster positions and starting gigs go.

I'm going to start with the safety job opposite Nick Collins.

Last year, the Packers selected the talented but wirey Morgan Burnett pretty high, and he started the season as starter. But he went down early, and Charlie Peprah, much stronger but a journeyman, played pretty well and started the Super Bowl.

Who wins the job and starts the game against Drew Brees and the high-flying New Orleans Saints on Thursday night, Sept 8th?

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Burnett will be back starting, Peprah was good last season, take nothing from a very solid year, Burnett is the future and if he is healthy, he will get the nod.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to say Peprah will start the first game, unless Burnett somehow excels in camp.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
pulling for burnett, he looked ok last year, and with another good camp could easily win the job, his ceiling is so much higher than peprah.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett has big time playmaking ability. Peprah was a very solid starter last year. If this lockout ends sometime in the near future, then I think Burnett will take back the starting spot. But if he doesn't have much of a chance to work out and practice with the defense, Peprah will probably start at the beginning of the season.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peprah played well all year, and get did just a get a contract extension. Management likes him. That being said. TT doesn't trade up for just anyone...

Reaction score
Peprah filled in very nice last year. While Burnett will provide the more explosive play making abilities in the secondaries, Peprah provides the dirty work. The tackling skills and the help in the run support. It's between the coverage safety and a hitting/run support safety. Should be a very interesting spot battle. My vote is for peprah though. I liked the way he played last year.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett. Showed a lot of promise before he was injured. If he can regain form he'll win it back pretty easily I'd say. Not to take anything away from Peprah who played rock solid.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict Peprah, and the other forum I posted this at, it's 6-0 for Peprah!
Amazing difference.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ready for this...
Charles Woodson!

After we sign Nnamdi Asomugha, we will have four (4) Pro Bowlers in our secondary...

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
As good as Peprah was and is, I'm hoping that Burnett is even better. If he is, he gets the start.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Peprah is a great backup safety but I'll bet Burnett will be starting if he's healthy, no matter when the NFLPA and the NFL get their mess straightened out. Although he only played in 4 games, I thought Burnett showed overall improvement as he got more experience. He does have to be more physical but I thought he was making progress with that and he's got better range and is more of a ball hawk than Charlie. Honestly I'd be surprised if there's even a question in Green Bay as to who is starting opposite Collins - IF Burnett is healthy of course.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we get aso (highly unlikely) then charles woodson. otherwise its burnett.

Nmandi isn't coming here. Trust me plenty of other teams that aren't as fortunate as us to already have one of the best secondaries in the league will pay Nmandi whatever he wants. We're not handing out that kind of cash.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
With Burnett coming off of an ACL tear, Peprah will begin the season as the starter. I'd expect both to get lots of playing time though.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Burnett coming off of an ACL tear, Peprah will begin the season as the starter. I'd expect both to get lots of playing time though.

This. Burnett wasn't proven before the injury, and Peprah was the starter in our last game. But just like with our other OLB position and most of our DL, Mike and Dom will probably play SS by committee until one of them proves to be much better than the other.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if we see some collins/burnett/peprah all on the field at the same time next year, capers is crazy man.

Members online

Latest posts