Who will step up in 2008/09

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are the youngest team in the NFL so IMO it important that each young guy takes another positive step forward and elevate their games. Even if it's just a little bit in some cases with the large number of young guys out there the collective results should be great.

That's the beauty of building thru the draft and holding onto a large core of players.

This year we will have more guys doing more playing then learning. Yes, they will still be learning too but every play and every game won't be the learning experience you need to get better to the same degree it was for many of these guys last year.

I expect this to equate to more confidence and more consistancy. If MM get's that then he get's all he's looking for out of them at this point.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was pretty bad in the 2nd half of the Giants game. Though I'm sure it would've helped had McCarthy ran the ball more than what 5 times in the 2nd half of the game.

Players who need to step up

Justin Harrell - Lare is right about him. He's had a year to heal and it's time to show us why Ted Thompson took you in the 1st round last year. Packers traded a pretty good player because they like Harrell.

Johnny Jolley - Talent isn't a concern. He needs to stay healthy.

Atari Bigby - Play like he did in December and Janaury. He was rock solid then. If he does, he'll be in for a contract extension IMO.

Daryn Colledge - Most inconsistent player on the team. One week he is gold, the next he is awful.

Finally,

Aaron Rodgers - It's his time.

Players I think will step up

Allen Barbre - I think he'll beat out Colledge. Seems to be that "mauler" that Packers are looking for.

Aaron Rouse - I think he'll beat out Nick Collins. Big physical safety with outstanding instincts.

I think Jolley, Bigby and Rodgers will play well this year from my other list.

No, Coughlin took away our O in the 2nd half. He knew what we were going to do before we did it. It was like that old game Techmo Bowl when your opponent picks your plays.

Coughlin is a defensive genius. MM was frustrated because nothing he tried worked, and it showed on his face.

I used to hate that saying "defense wins championships" but now I'm a believer in it. Their D was unbeatable.

The thing to take pride in is we scored more points than the Pats did. That is something to be proud of. We also came closer to winning than the Pats did.

--

Back on topic, of who you mentioned, Bigby will be in the Pro Bowl, and Rouse will be starting by week 8.

And Harrell better step up. Corey's gone, and Harrell's a 1st round pick. He needs to start playing like one.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing to take pride in is we scored more points than the Pats did. That is something to be proud of. We also came closer to winning than the Pats did.

I fail to see how anyone could be proud of losing.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Yeah, why be proud of having a powerful offense. And we shouldn't be proud of anything last year because we didn't win it all. Superbowl Win or Bust, right?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins--Remember what a beast he was in the preseason? Then he got banged up, and never really got his mojo going as a pass rusher. If he stays healthy, maybe he can be a real force during the regular season. Plus, having a rookie playing behind him may give him some extra motivation.

ANYBODY at either guard position, especially left guard. If Daryn Colledge gets beaten out for a starting position, he may be in danger of falling off the roster entirely. Ted Thompson does not like players whose careers are on a downward trajectory.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is definately the one who needs to step up. Assuming that he does, I fully expect Jennings to progress and take the double teams this year. Which is going to mean that Driver is going to have fun.

Anyone remember the Lions in 96', Moore 1296, Perriman 1021 and Morton 714. I can easily see GB WR getting this type of performance. Then we just need Grant or whoever is at RB to get 1200+ and the team will be sitting pretty.

Defensively, Jenkins needs more production at DE, and I expect Rouse to start.

That should result in a very good season for the Pack.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Zombieslayer said:

Yeah, why be proud of having a powerful offense. And we shouldn't be proud of anything last year because we didn't win it all. Superbowl Win or Bust, right?

I guess I don't see where I stated or implied that there wasn't anything for the Packers to be proud of last season, but I can see where someone like yourself might.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Lare said:
Zombieslayer said:

I guess I don't see where I stated or implied that there wasn't anything for the Packers to be proud of last season, but I can see where someone like yourself might.

Who knows Lare, maybe it has been your body of work in our forum that led Tromadz to his conclusion. Veteran posters don't have the luxury of saying things sentence by sentence like new posters do, and have everything mean just what the sentence says.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

We made it to the CG and almost won. How could you not be proud of the '07 season? That makes us the 3rd best team in the NFL, and arguably the 2nd best team because we gave a better game to the best team. There are 32 teams. That's pretty impressive.

I'd hate to be your kids. They're probably cutters.

Sadie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Atari Bigby and James Jones will have big years.

Aaron Rodgers needs to have a big year. I think he's falling into a nice situation where he can succeed.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, Lare's critique may look harsh on paper, considering our record last year but it has much merit. It's tough to get to 13-3, but it's even tougher to improve from there. Much tougher. So what will it take? It will take even your best players to get even better. They cannot rest even for one play. Lombardi kicked *** even when the Packers won, why? Because he knew that improvement was always necessary and possible. WE have solid talent on this team, but if we hope to grab the brass ring even our best players must improve their performances. The lesser performers must improve the most or be replaced, and they surely will be.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, Lare's critique may look harsh on paper, considering our record last year but it has much merit. It's tough to get to 13-3, but it's even tougher to improve from there. Much tougher. So what will it take? It will take even your best players to get even better. They cannot rest even for one play. Lombardi kicked *** even when the Packers won, why? Because he knew that improvement was always necessary and possible. WE have solid talent on this team, but if we hope to grab the brass ring even our best players must improve their performances. The lesser performers must improve the most or be replaced, and they surely will be.

True. Forgot that.

I probably was a little harsh on Lare then.

Sorry Lare.

mckennj3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, Lare's critique may look harsh on paper, considering our record last year but it has much merit. It's tough to get to 13-3, but it's even tougher to improve from there.

Adding to that a bit... i can see alot of people being disappointed in results next season, and not necessarily for the right reasons.. Last year's 13-3 was fairly over the top, i think we did better then anyone expected and had probably the least amount of impact injuries in the league and had alot of pieces fall into place that needed too. Having said that, i think we will improve next season, but maybe not our record... we also have a much stronger schedule this year.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson. If Ryan Grant doesn't sign his contract, we're going back to B-Jack. He does not want DeShawn Wynn breathing down his neck.

Koren Robinson. As soon as Robinson was activated, our return team started to get scary. Robinson has to produce because his job is on the line along with Ruvell. I prefer Koren, because we don't even know if he's reached his prime yet.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Jackson. If Ryan Grant doesn't sign his contract, we're going back to B-Jack. He does not want DeShawn Wynn breathing down his neck.

Koren Robinson. As soon as Robinson was activated, our return team started to get scary. Robinson has to produce because his job is on the line along with Ruvell. I prefer Koren, because we don't even know if he's reached his prime yet.

That's another reason I was hoping Favre would come back. I'd hate to see us let go of Koren, then he racks up 1000+ yards and 10 TDs on some other team. I have a good feeling about him.

I hope Aaron and Koren have chemistry. I guess we'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts