who was dolly gray?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up with Lynn "Tubby" Howard, who played for the Packers in 1921 and 22. Why I didn't ask him more about his time with the team is disturbing. He may well have known something about the mysterious Gray. All I remember him saying was that Jim Thorpe was the greatest player he ever faced. Thorpe never wore a helmet.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Who was Dolly Gray? Cousin to a boy named Sue?

Seriously, I hadn’t heard this story before but I do know “scouting” was so imprecise back then, this wouldn’t be the only time they got the names of draftees wrong.

One of the reasons I’m honoring a forgotten man in Green Bay history with my user name is in addition to being a great scout and in addition to playing a part in bringing Lombardi to Green Bay, Jack Vainisi, developed, “a system of scouting that was the envy of other NFL teams. He developed a ranking and coding system for the statistics of more than 4,000 players. … ‘Jack had a network of people all over the country,’ said Pat Peppler, former Green Bay scouting and personnel director from 1963-'71. ‘He worked very hard and was respected in the colleges. I was an assistant at North Carolina State, and I'd give Jack scouting reports at the end of the season for $100. I got to know Jack well over the phone but never met him in person." That was the forerunner of modern scouting departments but keep in mind, nothing like that existed before Vainisi put it in place in Green Bay in the 1950s.
(The quote is from the link in my signature.)

Members online

Latest posts