1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who to blame for lack of pass rush:

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NelsonsLongCatch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaz...s-Thompson?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

It was telling that cornerback Charles Woodson this week said the Packers need to upgrade their personnel.

“There were some things we just weren’t able to do,” said Woodson of the Packers’ playoff loss to the Giants.

Yes, the Packers’ offense struggled for one of the few times all season against the Giants. But that’s when a team needs its defense to take over. Without an effective pass rush, the Packers’ defense proved incapable of doing that.

Thompson needs to do better this offseason and give his defense a fighting chance in 2012.
  2. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    A defense that ranked 32nd overall and set records that will be talked about years gone by as shameful records, I am pretty sure if the Packers are onto anything it's fixing the defense and not worrying much about the offense, as it's already loaded with enough talent.
  3. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    Ted tried to get Dom the players he needed. If you can tell me you could see Nick Collins' injury, I'm gonna need you to give me the winning Powerball numbers. So'Oto couldn't stay healthy, or he could've been a good guy opposite Matthews in pass-rush. Matthews seemed to be going half-speed or less at times this year. The back 8 was horrendous. Linebackers not tackling in the run game, DBs not communicating and getting in position in the passing game. To me this all falls on the Defensive coaching staff, but primarily on DOM CAPERS! I was SO hoping Oakland would've hired him as their coach so we could upgrade at Coordinator
  4. claybillings

claybillings Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I thought our defense was pretty damn good up until this year, and even then, weren't we second in the league in turnovers? We still have a very good base to our defense, we just need to add a few pieces, albeit significant pieces, to the cast of Matthews, Raji, Bishop, Woodson, Collins (hoping he comes back), Burnett, and Tramon.
  5. Texas9erFan

Texas9erFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    It's Brett Favre's fault!

wait... what?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  7. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    I'm just curious about one thing: Where does all of the So'oto love come from? Is it all from his preseason performance? Did I miss something?
  8. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    Yes So'Oto at times during the pre-season out played Matthews. I think if he stays healthy we have our opposite side guy. BIG 'if' there.
  9. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    I'm going to have to take your word on that because I have seven NFL tackles to go on.
  10. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    Like I said, the man has to stay healthy. If he does that he's a good player.
  11. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    How many times and ways can we discuss this subject?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +837 / 18 / -5
  13. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    I'm open to hearing this explanation
  14. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +837 / 18 / -5
    Well if we really want to blame someone lets blame Ron, if it weren't for him we probably wouldn't have TT as GM and all these crappy players who can't rush the passer.
  15. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    Why do people on this forum get so defensive of TT?

Why can't people just tell the truth without the sarcastic replies? The Packers pass rush is horrific. Nobody is calling for TT's head. We're all just stating the obvious: The Packers pass rush was worse than bad.
  16. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    There's a lot of "undrafted free agent with no track record" love going on here.
  17. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +837 / 18 / -5
    I'm sorry, it's just, it's a horse that has been beaten to death and we haven't even past the Superbowl yet. This has been talked about 16 ways to Sunday so far, man its official, I am old, I keep saying things my grandmother said. I will watch my negative Karma in the future.:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    JenningsLongCatch,

Why Thompson is blamed? Simple, he's the GM! Part of his job is getting the personnel signed and deciding WHO to sign based on 1. Scouting reports and 2. His own judgement. Who else CAN you blame? The players can only succeed when put it in the right situation. The coaches can't COACH the right players to the right situation, if the GM doesn't sign them.
  19. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +837 / 18 / -5
    He has given this team the talent and hired the coaching to go to the NFC Championship game, and win the Superbowl in the span of 5 years of taking over and the team had a 15-1 season. injuries and players not performing to expectations are part of the business risk. You can't be right all the time. It will be fixed and we will be right back in it next year.
  20. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    ah...15-2, and that and 2, is primarly the defense's fault! By not having the right players in the right positions to succeed. The buck stops with Ted even more so than Mike.
  21. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11 / 40 / -10
    Let me explain my last post. It seems like Ted is RIGHT 95% of the time. So out of a 20 year period, he has the equivalent of 1 bad year's worth of decisions over that 20 year period. Now based on this season, to keep his percentage, he'll have to be perfect for a looooooooooong looooooooooooooooooong time. I honestly really can point to only one thing Ted did right this season. Drafting and signing Randall Cobb. Everything else was somewhere between a shoulder shrug and 'what the hell is he thinkin?'
  22. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Who else can you blame?? How about Brett.;)
    I blame Thompson for one and only one decision he has made and that was the failure to sign Jenkins. But that is one bad decision imho opinion vs many, many good ones.

Anyway we've sliced this, diced it and I'm kinda over it.
  23. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think Sherrod was a good pick at the time. He got hurt, but given our OT position we surely needed an OT.
  24. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,416 / 55 / -16
    I don't think pointing fingers and playing the blame game is going to do any good.
    The Packers will take a very good look at what went right and wrong from the season.
    They will do their darndest to improve on the good and to fix on the bad.
    Let's look forward to the future instead of behind to the past.
    Unless that's what you really want to do and to stir up old aggravations.
  25. mradtke66

mradtke66 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +144 / 8 / -0
    I can't even really blame him for letting Jenkins go. Certainly in hindsight, we needed him and he stayed healthy all season. But he has historically been injured a lot and we has over 30. Not a wise way to spend money.

I think this can be summarized as making the right decision, but getting burned anyway.