Who the heck is this guy?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Packers claimed RB Johnny White off waivers from buffalo.....ok.....who is this no name dude? Never heard of him before. I know we have a need at RB with all the latest injuries, but c'mon...who is this guy. Hopefully he is a no name guy that got waived and has a need to show himself and can run hard. Don't know how much that bears running back Kalil bell (sp?) would have cost us, but I have seen that cat play and he can run decent, wonder why we didn't pick him up? Money most likely.

KCBIGDOG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was drafted by the bills in the 5th round in 2011. I read he was a special team monster with North Carolina. Was a teammate of Ryan Taylor. Heis suppose to be a good zone runner - one cut and go kind of guy. He also played DB and WR at North Carolina. Picked up mostly to take Saine's place on special teams IMO

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got cut due to Fred Jackson/CJ Spiller. More of a ham and egger, but the scouting report that this White guy could blossom ala Ryan Grant.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers claimed RB Johnny White off waivers from buffalo.....ok.....who is this no name dude? Never heard of him before. I know we have a need at RB with all the latest injuries, but c'mon...who is this guy. Hopefully he is a no name guy that got waived and has a need to show himself and can run hard. Don't know how much that bears running back Kalil bell (sp?) would have cost us, but I have seen that cat play and he can run decent, wonder why we didn't pick him up? Money most likely.

Just curious, how much did you know about Ryan Grant when we acquired him?

Running backs can come from anywhere and a big name more than likely means they failed somewhere along the way and are living off the name.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Never said a word about Ryan grant, where are you getting that from? I also do know about hidden jems and late round picks that pan out to be heros, this guys name just does not ring any bells, so that is why I asked.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-buffalo-bills-2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Todd McShay gave big praise to the 5'10", 209-pound Johnny White when he called him "the most underrated running back in the entire class."
At UNC, White consistently provided the Tar Heels with a reliable second backfield weapon.

His running style, although reckless at times, keeps defenses honest.

He runs routes better than most running backs, and his 24 catches for 288 yards in 2010 attests to his aptitude in that facet of the game.

Although versatile, his athleticism is dubious at best, and he is definitely undersized. ....That being said, he was never overworked in college and has plenty of room to improve—a solid pick for a team willing to use up a selection on a bit of a project....
http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/johnny_white_scouting_report/4611811

Johnny White RB North Carolina Ht: 5’10″ Wt: 210 Strengths: Impressive athlete. Played running back, corner and receiver throughout his career at UNC. Some experience returning kicks and punts. Well built; has a nice small, compact build making him tough to bring down at times. Weaknesses: Limited experience at any one position. Lacks breakaway speed. Missed time with a broken collarbone in 2010. Comments: White is a late-round wildcard in this draft. He appears to have the raw skills necessary to play running back in the NFL, but without any real experience in college he likely won’t contribute much early on. He shouldn’t be counted on for any production in 2011, but is one of more intriguing late-round sleepers in this draft.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this guy pans out. It boggles my mind how every team as two good solid running backs and we dont have one.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee, maybe the offensive line has something to do with our running back production.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said a word about Ryan grant, where are you getting that from? I also do know about hidden jems and late round picks that pan out to be heros, this guys name just does not ring any bells, so that is why I asked.

Where am I getting Ryan grant from? I pointed him out as an example.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall I don't disagree but as far as running backs I don't think he has been that great

I don't know that this is true. Clearly Thompson sees RB as a "cheap" position. He doesn't pay RBs huge money, he doesn't pick them high in the draft. So I think we need to at least "grade him on a curve". The fact that he doesn't pick top talent at RB doesn't mean he doesn't know top talent at RB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that this is true. Clearly Thompson sees RB as a "cheap" position. He doesn't pay RBs huge money, he doesn't pick them high in the draft. So I think we need to at least "grade him on a curve". The fact that he doesn't pick top talent at RB doesn't mean he doesn't know top talent at RB.

EXACTLY...TT sees RB as a door that can be ever changing unless a guy sticks for cheap. Our style isn't to pay big money to a RB when we're not a running team...I like what TT does with drafting mid-round-late even non-drafted every year and seeing who develops. I think the year we go out and draft a stud or sign a big RB is the day TT realizes Aaron's on his downswing and a stud RB makes the transition A LOT easier.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish the packers would have looked at Evan Royster of the Redskins. He had a bunch of great runs last year and he has amazing vision. The skins hardly even use him anymore.

Members online

Latest posts