Who is our next DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR now?!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with Bates out as HC, and out of GB entirely from what it sounds like(said him and his agent are going to pursue other HC offerings), who is going to be our next DC?

This hiring is almost as important as the HC hiring. our new HC Mccarthy is an offensive guy, and IM sure him and TT will get a decent OC, and they will take care of the offense.

But what about Defense?

Our defensive roster should be better next year than it is now, and our defensive rankings this year were pretty decent. But this will be our 4th Dc in 4 years, right? That isnt fair to the players, and it would be foolish to expect the damn near miracle job Bates did. Expecting that 2 years in a row would be unfair. However, I do expect at LEAST a middle of the pack defense(statwise). I always thought a potent GB offense(favre,javon,gado,good oline) and an average defense(we dont need to be the best) and we can be contenders. But this year we had a better than average defense, and a horrible offense. It was a bizzaro season from what we are used to seeing.

My refferal goes to Tim lewis, the giants defensive coordinator. he was in the hunt for GBs HC job, so he must be decent

Reaction score
Trom, Lewis is no Bates. Bates was well liked, and built a solid foundation for the future. He got back to the fundamentals, which was what our D lacked. Not many coaches would do that. He kept it simple, and it worked for our players. 4 DC in 4 years is riddiculous. No player will see that as attractive. That is a revolving door! I will truly have lost all faith in TT if he cannot find a way to make Bates stay.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I will truly have lost all faith in TT if he cannot find a way to make Bates stay.

and thats sad.

But Bates is under contract like you said, so what choice does he have?

Reaction score
Actually, studying Law can help in this matter. Bates can ask for a release form his contract, or simply walk away and be facing nothing but a stiff fine. But would you want BAtes back if he asks to be let go. It would be clear he doesn't want to come back, and that will hurt the team even more, imo.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would Mike Singletary follow McCarthy to Green Bay. Coached Ray Lewis and such in Batlitmore. He might if he comes switch to a 3-4 defense, might be to much a change for that. But he is a Linebacker Coach and a HOF Linebacker as well and would really help a defense like ours out.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone suggested Singletary, and as much as I don't want ex-Bears around Green Bay, he's a winner(unlike the new head coach).

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not look to promote one of Bates' assistants? This should keep the same defensive scheme and similar coaching techniques that Bates brought.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a long shot and I'm just throwing it out there so don't tear me a new one. The Raiders will be hiring a new coach so some of their coaches are expendable. I think Buddy Ryan's son was their defensive coordinator. He's got good bloodlines as a defensive coordinator. If he was a racehorse I'd bet on him.

Oh what the hell, I'm a big boy....go ahead and tear into me!

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i will and im sure yall will and the players will be pissed if they have to learn a new system again.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of Singletary, and I also like the idea of promoting one of Bates' assistants, if any of them are ready for it. I'm still holding out hope for Bates to return, but that may be difficult after he said something to the effect that he was more qualified than any of the other coaching candidates. It might be hard for the new coach to have authority over the guy he beat out for the job--especially with Bates being older than him and better-known around the league. Maybe Bates will cool down after awhile. I hope he doesn't make any quick decisions.

If we have our fourth DC in four years, don't blame it on Thompson. Blame it mostly on Sherman for firing Donatell and replacing him with Slowik. After Slowik's failure, he needed a third DC, so three of them are on Sherman. And finally, blame Harlan for bringing in Thompson without getting rid of Sherman, which was a bad setup for both guys and resulted in Sherman's firing at the first opportunity so Thompson could bring in his own guy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bates will leave............i think he was depending on the Packers giving him the coaching job. Now, he's ticked off, and wants to be a head coach somewhere. I don't blame him. I can't see him here next year, as the "new" coach will want his own guys, and Bates will not want to have to answer to the guy he feels got HIS job.
Just my opinions.......don't know if they are right or not.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say there is distinct possibility that Jim Bates maybe back as Defensive Co ordinator here in Green Bay. It is probably up to Bates ,as I think Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy want to retain Bates. I'm sure the Packer organization would release him from that contract, if he wishes to coach somewhere else. Ron Wolf made a head coach stay for the last year of his contract. That was Mike Holmgren and I believe from Mike's actions during that last year 1998, it would have been much wiser to let him out of his contract and go to Seattle. However after Jim Bates' initital shock of getting past over for HC position here in GB and if no Head coach opportunity comes his way, He might reconsider and stay here as Defensive Co ordinator with the new Mike McCarthy coaching staff. The" pot" could be sweeten with a contract extension with Bates getting abig increase in Pay and he could get an upgrade and be DC and also Assistant HC. The Packer organization doesn't want to be 4-4 in the defensive co ordinator position ( 4 defensive co ordinators in 4 years. This is way too much instability at this most important coaching position. But if it has to happen, I'm sure the Green Bay Packer organization will deal with it and find another good defensive man. Give this new head Coach a break, Give him some time. He made reward us with a good winning team this year.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand Bates wanting a shot at HC, that's part of what makes him a good coach. I wish him well. But if he doesn't get a HC job Green Bay should make him the highest paid DC and promote him to Assistant HC in order to get him back. He did a h... of a job this year and should be rewarded. We need more people like him and Breightol.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
If we have our fourth DC in four years, don't blame it on Thompson. Blame it mostly on Sherman for firing Donatell and replacing him with Slowik. After Slowik's failure, he needed a third DC, so three of them are on Sherman. And finally, blame Harlan for bringing in Thompson without getting rid of Sherman, which was a bad setup for both guys and resulted in Sherman's firing at the first opportunity so Thompson could bring in his own guy.

Greg....why would you blame Harlan for not getting rid of Sherman when he hired Thompson? Yet "you can't blame Thompson". Thompson was given the opportunity to get rid of Sherman as soon as he arrived. He CHOSE to give Sherman another year...rightfully so. Don't be in such a hurry to provide a preemptive strike for Thompson, in case Bates leaves. You can't have it both ways.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about me? I am ranked on here as defensive coach. I can give the boys chunky soup, back rubs and clean up after them. I can be their team mother. :)

Members online

Latest posts