Who is our best OLB other than Matthews?

Who is the best "other" OLB we have (after Clay)

• Brad Jones

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Frank Zombo

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Eric Walden

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Ricky Elmore

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaches and GM like Brad Jones enough that they didn't draft a single OLB last year, and they didn't take 1 on day one or 2 this draft.

Zombo did okay last year after Brad Jones got hurt.
Then Walden did okay when Zombo got hurt. Walden took Cutler down for 2 sacks in the crucial week-17 win.
Then Zombo went back in and did okay in the Super Bowl when Walden couldn't go. He had a big sack of Roethlisberger, which was a huge play.

Now the Packers drafted Brooks Reed's teammate from Arizona, Ricky Elmore. Some liken Elmore to Kevin Greene. Elmore doesn't have blazing timed speed. Neither did Greene. But can Elmore grow his hair out like Greene, and like Matthews? That's the key.

Elmore actually out-sacked his AZ teammate Brooks Reed, whom we all wanted. Maybe we wanted Reed because of the long blonde hair like Matthews?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9DyOOIClHc&feature=related]YouTube - Ricky Elmore 2011 NFL Draft - Top Pass Rusher DE/OLB[/ame]

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombo is second in command only to Clay. Then comes Walden, Jones and Elmore in that order.

I too was hoping we'd draft Reed! :( What a force that would of been!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find this to be a very tough answer. I can flip-flop among all 4 guys.
They all have some upside.

I just wish Zombo and Elmore would grow their hair out long.
Jones and Walden need to too.... doesn't Walden have the dreads?

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find this to be a very tough answer. I can flip-flop among all 4 guys.
They all have some upside.

I just wish Zombo and Elmore would grow their hair out long.
Jones and Walden need to too.... doesn't Walden have the dreads?

Yeah, Walden has dreads so he's got the long hair already. The rest of the guys need to start growing it out.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Walden was very solid when given the opportunity. Zombo was a difference maker at times during the season. both have good upside I think.
I have a feeling Elmore got more sacks than Reed because college teams probably schemed against Reed, so left Elmore to deal with the worst OL players rather than the best.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn’t see much from Jones when he was in there so even though he started last season, I wouldn’t put him as the favorite opposite Clay. I think Walden offered the most pass rush and Zombo was better vs. the run. I believe McCarthy or one of the coaches said Walden was going to start the Super Bowl if he were healthy. Just based on what we saw last season I liked Walden there the best. However I saw a writer quoting Kevin Greene about what traits he looks for in an OLB and he tied that to Zombo pretty convincingly. So if I had to ID a favorite today it would be Zombo.

Gymrat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Does he count?LOL
I would have to go with Zombo. He has been doing pretty well and I honestly was not very high on him, but he has turned my nay saying around.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it is split like this, it means one of two things...either they are all pretty good, or they all suck. They all seem pretty equal, and will probably split time. Where does Poppinga fit?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, Ricky Elmore's college tape looks more impressive to me than Clay Matthews tape from USC. Hopefully that means something.

I honestly don't find the comparison of Elmore and Matthew's college stats to be a valid comparison. Elmore would have more film than Matthews, remember he was a walk on at USC, he didn't see as much play time. I don't think he really blossomed until late in his senior year or possibly when he hit the NFL in '09. T.T. obviously saw something he liked in Matthew's USC film, for him to jump up in the draft is remarkable in and of itself. Either that or T.T. is psychic. So maybe it's not so much quantity as quality with USC.

I do agree Elmore looks impressive as hell. I started looking at him because of this thread. I can't wait to see what he is going to do! They like to move Matthew's around too ... It just makes me happy about our D for '11 season!!! Attack!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
about the poll

The reason why this is a tough choice between all these guys is because how well they contributed to the defense. All of them extremely young and unproven for the most part, prior to playing for the Packers, but one common FACTOR they all had is they got Coached by Kevin Greene. I really think Kevin Greene is as good as a linebackers coach as he was a player. If the OUTSIDE LINEBACKER GROUP can make even more steps forward Kevin Greene will get some significant recognition from around the league.

about elmore

from the tape I saw on youtube, you can see is quick off the snap...but he was unblocked in a bunch of those plays...I do like the relentlessness he displayed...kevin greene noted that in his opinion about elmore, referencing the guy's passion and motor...i think he will be a very interesting prospect and paying attention to his development will be something I'll be paying HEAVY attention to...I mean think about it...Brad Jones a lighter LINEBACKER and 7th round pick played well....ZOMBO converted DE played well....WALDEN was cut by MIAMI and was a huge part of beating the bears in week 17 to get us on the playoff run....so I think ELMORE's potential could be even higher then all 3 of them (potentially)

can't wait to see it

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope the competition brings out the best in one of these guys.

Would basing the decision week by week make sense, like based on the team the Pack is playing that week play the person that matches up best against them?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Combine the best traits of each of the 4 guys..... and...... you'd have...... another Clay Matthews!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'll take Elmore just to backup my prediction in the thread about him that he'd be the week 1 starter at OLB.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great debates fellas..... I like the voting results. It basically shows that it's wide open among the 4.
That will be 5 OLBers on the roster, and, what, 4 ILBers?
Bishop, Hawk, Chillar, Barnett? Can we afford the 4 of them?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did anyone see or hear about the reporter asking TT about his college days? lol, typical tt doesnt say a thing.

Members online

Latest posts