Who deserves a new deal first: Matthews or Rodgers?

Who should get a new deal first?

• Total voters

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. That's what I'm saying. You actually prove my point with Flynn. They saw him as playing great in the system, not so great outside of it. Again, I'm not laying faith in Harrell but faith in the system. You must also be forgetting about the years when teams "dared" Brett Favre to beat them, because he was sloppy and a shell of his MVP years prior to 2005. McCarthy brought the work ethic out of Favre and he had one of his best seasons in 2007. I don't think that had as much to do with Brett deciding to play better, but McCarthy and his QB system pulling that HOF talent back out of the guy.

The last time Rodgers was off the field, our backup almost beat a good Patriots team in Foxboro. I don't have the same faith in backup defensive ends

So would you say Von Miller is more important to the Broncos than Peyton Manning based on the fact that they went to the playoffs with Tim Tebow last year and won a game? God I hope not.

While you can take a small sample size and say the results are close, if you watch the 2 QBs (Rodgers and Flynn) you are watching two different levels of QBs. Flynn isnt that good. Even his small sample size reflects that, with 9 tds and 5 ints.

Some fans were surprised when Alex Smith was benched for Kaep in SF. But if you actually watched the game, the players, the throws, you saw two different QBs. You wouldnt have been surprised by the change in QBs bc 1 could make throws the other one couldnt.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One could argue that point - it's yours and not mine though. The Broncos didn't go any farther in the playoffs in 2012 so one has to ask how important the Peyton Manning signing was, beyond ticket and jersey sales. With Tebow at the helm, that team was clearly centered around its running game and its defense. With Manning, their offensive attack was more balanced but they still had the same result. So plug and play QBs and there really wasn't a difference, but one would then have to ask what would happen if you take out Von Miller. Does that defense fall apart and the team barely miss the playoffs? Who knows, it's all speculative.

Obviously Flynn and Rodgers are different caliber of QBs, but they both succeeded with the Packers WR corps and the offensive scheme in place. Take away the WR corps (like the Giants did in both 2011 & 2012) and you've got a different ball game.

I realize that this is a QB driven league, but doesn't automatically make the QB the most important player on the team. Up until this past weekend, you certainly couldn't have said that about Joe Flacco on the Ravens. I just don't buy the one size fits all arguments - what they gain on perspective they lack in insight

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I hope C Wood restructures his deal... Hes gotta know that right now in his career he isnt worth that kind of money and if he wants to win with the Packers he has to sacrifice a little... I dont think any other team would pay that amount of money for Woodson at the tail end of his career

Its a tough call between Clay and Aaron... Both seem pretty humble when it comes to money but I would say pay Clay first... Aaron seems like the type of guy to sit back since he knows he already has gotten and extension and he would want other critical players to get paid to ensure that they keep performing at a high level in order for the team to win...

They we have to pay BJ then make some moves in Free Agency... Get some savy vets on the team...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'll catch hell for this, but I believe that Matthews is more crucial to the team than Rodgers. That said, we will sign both of these guys so who gets signed first really is really not an issue.

A second heapin' helpin' of "hell" coming your way from me as well. :)

Not sure how old you are, El ... and I don't mean to sound condescending because I'm an old "F'er" ... but I'm here to remind you young bucks of a period of time immediately following Bart Starr's era to the arrival of Brett Favre/Holmgren (yeah, they go hand-in-glove in my book). Without Aaron Rodgers...we're F'd ... Now... I've got to admit that Matthews gives me pause for one reason and one reason only ... I've got half a notion that Matthews will NOT finish his career in Green Bay anyway. I'm thinking that the guy LONGS for the day that he can move into a major media market -- where it's warm and sunny and there are narcissistic pretty little girls in bikinis...maybe I pre-judge ... just a gut feeling.

Lock up Aaron Rodgers.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I've got half a notion that Matthews will NOT finish his career in Green Bay anyway. I'm thinking that the guy LONGS for the day that he can move into a major media market -- where it's warm and sunny and there are narcissistic pretty little girls in bikinis...maybe I pre-judge ... just a gut feeling.
Matthews dad, and his uncle, played for the crappy Browns, and the Oilers for a long long time.
Clay will be a Packer for a long time as well.

Clay gets plenty of "facetime" on TV being a Packer. We've all seen many commercials, appearances, etc.

He's played 4 years where he was dominating, clearly our best defensive player. All under his rookie contract.
When Rodgers first played, 2008, they gave him a new deal halfway thru that season.

Matthews didn't get a new deal when he showed that he was better than his draft position. He's patiently played over-performing his contract, for 4 Pro Bowl-quality years. And his deal is up a year sooner than Rodgers is.
You have to lock up Matthews first. Give him a new deal sooner. He's earned it. Rodgers already is making like 4 times as much and Clay, and they're almost equally important to the team.

PSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to keep GJ & Finley if we can get GJ at a discount b/c of his injury & Finley aggrees to a pay reduction as he's not worth his check. I actually expect KC to make a move for both Flynn & GJ. I'd be willing to let GJ go since we do have a good depth of WRs. When it comes to finding top WRs TT has the inside track

There is alot of buzz around Miami the Jennings is going to sign with the Dolphins.
Could be wishful thinking, because our WR corps is atrocious.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is alot of buzz around Miami the Jennings is going to sign with the Dolphins.
Could be wishful thinking, because our WR corps is atrocious.

I think they only thing that would prevent him from going to Miami and the org making a serious push for him is your HC being against it. Seeing as he knows him well, if he is against it they should listen

PSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they only thing that would prevent him from going to Miami and the org making a serious push for him is your HC being against it. Seeing as he knows him well, if he is against it they should listen
Agreed.
The rumor around Miami is Philbin was against giving Flynn big money.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews dad, and his uncle, played for the crappy Browns, and the Oilers for a long long time.
Clay will be a Packer for a long time as well.

Clay gets plenty of "facetime" on TV being a Packer. We've all seen many commercials, appearances, etc.

He's played 4 years where he was dominating, clearly our best defensive player. All under his rookie contract.
When Rodgers first played, 2008, they gave him a new deal halfway thru that season.

Matthews didn't get a new deal when he showed that he was better than his draft position. He's patiently played over-performing his contract, for 4 Pro Bowl-quality years. And his deal is up a year sooner than Rodgers is.
You have to lock up Matthews first. Give him a new deal sooner. He's earned it. Rodgers already is making like 4 times as much and Clay, and they're almost equally important to the team.
Clay is a beast & Definately will get a sweet contract. I'm guessing around $6-7M a year. Packers will hafta pay Rodgers Brees money. Talking as close to $20M as possible. Drop about 8-10 players after the season is officially over

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.
The rumor around Miami is Philbin was against giving Flynn big money.
maybe so but u would think he'd try to get a top WR like Jennings. I expect KC to be in the mix for him as well

PSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will certainly look at Jennings.
But they may also look and Mike Wallace and/or Dwayne Bowe as well.

PSG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. I think Wallace stay in Pitt is slim at best
Yeah Wallace is done in Pitt I think.
Is it pretty much assumed that Jennings is leaving, or is there still some though that he might return to GB?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope TT at least looks at the numbers and entertains tagging Jennings. If nothing else it gives him some trade leverage. Jennings is a known commodity unlike Flynn last year and there will be interested parties. If Jennings has made it clear he will not entertain the notion of a home town discount then TT shouldn't feel obligated to not tag him out of respect or some bs reason like that. This is a business and Jennings seems to know that more than anyone.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article the Packers were interested in a guy. I believe his name is Patton. He's projected to be a 2-3rd round pick

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope TT at least looks at the numbers and entertains tagging Jennings. If nothing else it gives him some trade leverage. Jennings is a known commodity unlike Flynn last year and there will be interested parties. If Jennings has made it clear he will not entertain the notion of a home town discount then TT shouldn't feel obligated to not tag him out of respect or some bs reason like that. This is a business and Jennings seems to know that more than anyone.

Idk if he is worth $10 mil. The offense was fine without him this season.

Tag him and you run the risk of being stuck with paying him if you can't work out a deal.

Let him walk and take the free draft pick that goes with it.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay him $10M per year. He can go somewhere else & his chances of going to the SB goes down & his QB won't be near as good. Hey Greg,don't let the door hit ya on the way out

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh...does Rodgers even deserve a new deal? If they do give him a new deal, he shouldn't make that much more. I don't think you should sign Rodgers to a new deal. I think it's apparent that he is getting older and the Pack should invest more into their draft picks and save money.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh...does Rodgers even deserve a new deal? If they do give him a new deal, he shouldn't make that much more. I don't think you should sign Rodgers to a new deal. I think it's apparent that he is getting older and the Pack should invest more into their draft picks and save money.
Rodgers just turned 29 2-3 months ago. U gotta pay this man elite QB money. If we could protect him & Rodgers only get sacked about 15x a year we could kick some major butt. Rodgers is still top 3 if not the #1 QB in the league

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign Rodgers to a 6 yr deal. That'll take him to 2020 he'll be 35 & the Packers will likely be lookin for his replacement around that time

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALways a comedian in every forum. :roflmao:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers without question. This is no slight on Clay but, you take care of your elite QB first. Ideally both at the same time but if it comes down to it Aaron has to come first. I personally don't think it will be a problem or even an issue who gets signed first. I think they will both be signed no questions.

Agree 100%. If you don't have a franchise qb it can set your franchise back years. Look at the Dolphins, Bills, and Chiefs for example. You can't say that about any defensive player no matter how good they are. The league is driven by qb play and Rodgers just happens to be the best in the business. Besides were talking about a guy who's not even 30 yet. If you look at guy's like Brady and Manning still playing at a high level well into their 30's you have to expect the same type of thing from Rodgers. I just don't see linebackers playing as fast and as hard as Clay Matthews well into their 30's. Once a dominant pass rusher loses his speed he's done.

Members online

Latest posts