Who Actually Thought The Packers Would Sign Someone On Day 1?

What Day Did You Expect The Packers To Sign A FA Player?

• Total voters

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Rodell and a few others were devastated for the umpteenth year in a row that Thompson didn't jump feet first into free agency on Day 1, but did anyone really think that would be the case?

We all know TT's strategy by now. It shouldn't be traumatizing anymore, despite want some of us might want to have happen. The Packers will wait patiently for the Free Agent spending frenzy to die down, and then if they can strike a reasonable deal with a player that will help the team, they will attempt to get it done. If they can't get a reasonable deal done with anyone, they will attempt to address all current needs through the draft.

The model has not changed since 2005.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to get some of the players that went on Day 1, but am once again glad that we didn't dole out the coin that other teams did for those players. The unfortunate part is how many safeties went on Day 1.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to get some of the players that went on Day 1, but am once again glad that we didn't dole out the coin that other teams did for those players. The unfortunate part is how many safeties went on Day 1.

This. Ward only getting $5.5 per irked me. He may not have been an ideal fit for us but I guarantee he's better then anything we currently have. And then to hear we were in on him but didn't want to go 4 years (Saw it on Twitter I cannot confirm the source whatsoever just saw he is a writer) made me angry. I'm fine not blowing the *** on day 1 I just wish there was some chatter of Ted being interested in someone.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Denver, New Orleans, New England, San Francisco.... all adding and bringing in FA's for visits.

I thought good teams didn't use free agency to assemble rosters? Only bad teams.

Somewhere, Dom Capers must be steaming at his boss who assures him not to worry, that he will find Capers another jewel at safety like Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings, or Brandon Underwood. Or even a late free agent addition like a Marquand Manuel.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D Ware, Alex Mack, Revis, plus a bunch of other vet JAGs (JAGs would be upgrades at safety and ILB) are still out there..

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The uninformed.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Denver, New Orleans, New England, San Francisco.... all adding and bringing in FA's for visits.

I thought good teams didn't use free agency to assemble rosters? Only bad teams.

Somewhere, Dom Capers must be steaming at his boss who assures him not to worry, that he will find Capers another jewel at safety like Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings, or Brandon Underwood. Or even a late free agent addition like a Marquand Manuel.

Denver is loading up for Manning's last seasons. Rodgers still has plenty of years left. They'll be in a bad cap situation soon. New Orleans seems to be doing the same with Brees, and will also be in a bad cap situation soon.

The 49ers just lost two good defensive players so any moves have to make up for those. The Patriots have also lost Talib. Just making moves doesn't mean the teams are better.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The uninformed.

At times, TJV, you are informative and one of my favorite posters. I've learned a bunch from you.

But at other times, like with the post above, you are simply arrogant.

Regarding the OP question: I was hoping for something outside of Ted's normal mode of operation. I was even thinking that, maybe, this year he would go for one big splash for a variety of reasons, all discussed ad nausea. It seems that many sports writers, most of whom are generally not considered "the un-informed", also wrote that they expected something along these lines from GB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
PFanCan, I am surprised you thought Thompson would make a big splash in FA. Many sports writers have written they expect Thompson to be a bigger player in UFA than he has been since 2006, but any that believed that meant he would be entering a bidding war for UFAs was uninformed and ignored Thomspon's history. (Remember his biggest UFA acquisition was Woodson and he did not enter a bidding war for him or sign him in the first few weeks of UFA. In fact Woodson wasn't signed until the last week of April!) The UFA period isn't even three days old! There's still a lot of players available. My one-word post was meant to be more flippant than anything, but I stick by it. In fact IMO those few posters who appear to be throwing hissy fits because Thompson hasn't signed anyone yet are embarrassing themselves and Packers fans (who are supposed to be among the best fans) generally. For cry'n out loud one poster implied Thompson pocketed the extra cap money! Sorry if you think that's arrogant. (Well, actually I'm not sorry.)

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Never mind all this. We signed Neal to a two year deal. That's pretty close to making a splash, I guess. :)

Really curious to what the terms are...

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well six people in this forum expected a Week 1 deal...and they were right. I was not one of them. Admittedly, I was hoping for and expecting a Week 2 deal.

Members online

Latest posts