Which team is the more lovable to America?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too sheltered by just looking at Packers stuff by only being on here.
Even though there are a number of Stealers fans around the country (I guess) it just seems to me that the majority of America wants the Packers to win.
It's just a feeling I get.
Between the two teams, the Packers have much nicer guys who deserve to win more than the Stealers who just won a SB a couple years ago.
Am I off base with that feeling that America wants to see the Packers win this one?
Or does it seem like that to anyone else?
:scratch: :dontknow:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I've seen other team fan boards where posters have changed their avatars to be Packer avatars just for this. I've not seen much of that with the Steelers yet.

bubbahotep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrison's a thug, and Big Ben, enough said. The rest of the team seems like good people, Big Ben just needs to get his head out of his *** and some therapy. Harrison? Who knows, but good thing there is the NFL and he can get paid for what he does.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too sheltered by just looking at Packers stuff by only being on here.
Even though there are a number of Stealers fans around the country (I guess) it just seems to me that the majority of America wants the Packers to win.
Between the two teams, the Packers have much nicer guys who deserve to win more than the Stealers who just won a SB a couple years ago.
Am I off base with that feeling that America wants to see the Packers win this one?

From the Rick Reilly article I posted last night:

You root for the Packers in this Super Bowl because every now and then the game needs to have on top the little team nobody can seem to hate.

With all of the things that have been going on - Lombardi the documentary, Lombardi the musical, and Vince Lombardi's beloved Green Bay Packers making it to the Super Bowl - I think maybe it's the Year of Lombardi. I really, really hope it is. :prayer:

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Harrison's a thug, and Big Ben, enough said. The rest of the team seems like good people, Big Ben just needs to get his head out of his *** and some therapy. Harrison? Who knows, but good thing there is the NFL and he can get paid for what he does.

Wasn't Hines Ward given some dubious distinction by fellow NFL players?

He has a very nice smile though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen other team fan boards where posters have changed their avatars to be Packer avatars just for this. I've not seen much of that with the Steelers yet.
More to do with Steelers hate than Packers love.

And Steelers hate has more to do with their success than anything.

Give us 5 more years and people are gonna start hating us to the same ammount ;)

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
More to do with Steelers hate than Packers love.

And Steelers hate has more to do with their success than anything.

Give us 5 more years and people are gonna start hating us to the same ammount ;)

Nah. I dont' hate the Steelers because of their success. I hate the Steelers because a majority of their fans I've had the dubious pleasure of becoming aquainted with over the years have all loved thug players, and love the idea of "taking out" an opponents best players in order to win, and being ok with that. I hate the Steelers because of fans that talk tough, then whine like *****es when they lose; I hate the Steelers because of players like Harrison and Ward - two of the dirtiest cheapshotting players in the league etc. I hate the Steelers because they will try to make a guy like Big Ben out to be the best guy in the world, off-the-field stuff notwithstanding.

I never used to hate the Steelers. It's only been in recent years that I have come to.

Trust me - if the Packers remain the classy, non-trash talking, non-thug team they have been, no one will hate them, no matter what success they have.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
2 things at work here:
1)What Roethlisberger was alleged to have done. That works against the Steelers.
2)People generally get sick of watching the same team win Super Bowl after Super Bowl. The Steelers have won 2 recently, I think people might be rooting for the new blood in the game.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With Ben, it's the fact that his name was tied to something that is revolting to our society. So even though he was not proscuted, the perception that he did something wrong remains with some people.

I like Harrison. I think he's been jobbed by the league's overreaction to violent hits. Some of his hits have been illegal but it seems as though the NFL automatically deems a hit illegal if it is just too violent.....even if it is within the rules.

:chisux:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah. I dont' hate the Steelers because of their success. I hate the Steelers because a majority of their fans I've had the dubious pleasure of becoming aquainted with over the years have all loved thug players, and love the idea of "taking out" an opponents best players in order to win, and being ok with that. I hate the Steelers because of fans that talk tough, then whine like *****es when they lose; I hate the Steelers because of players like Harrison and Ward - two of the dirtiest cheapshotting players in the league etc. I hate the Steelers because they will try to make a guy like Big Ben out to be the best guy in the world, off-the-field stuff notwithstanding.

I never used to hate the Steelers. It's only been in recent years that I have come to.

Trust me - if the Packers remain the classy, non-trash talking, non-thug team they have been, no one will hate them, no matter what success they have.
That is some "freaking awesome!!!" hate right there
/cheap shot

Your last statement is rendered invalid by the fact that lots of people hate the Pats
/looks at Spygate
Nevermind...
/2nd cheap shot

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't hate the steelers. I don't care for ben or harrison, but Polamalu makes up for both of them. Packers don't have any negative characters, and a few you can't help to cheer for.

Polamalu has one of the greatest plays in NFL history. The Steelers were up by 1 and there was less than 2 minutes to go. Polamalu intercepts the ball and races towards the endzone, nobody can catch him. Does he stroll into the endzone like a peacock and does a dance? Nope! He stops at the 1 yard line and lays down, covering the ball, waiting for the other team to tag him down. Had he scored, the Steelers would be up by 8 and would need to kick off, giving the other team a chance to score and tie the game. By stopping at the one, Troy sealed the win. The Steelers took a knee on three straight and ran out the clock, game over. How many players would give up the Pick 6 stat like that? Chance at a little glory? I will never forget the look of Cowher's face. First excitement at the Pick. Then the look of shock and confusion. Then a look of, well, ummm love. A look of pride and appreciation.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
That is some "freaking awesome!!!" hate right there
/cheap shot

Your last statement is rendered invalid by the fact that lots of people hate the Pats
/looks at Spygate
Nevermind...
/2nd cheap shot

Well, I'll take a coach who steals opposing teams' signals (not illegal) from the wrong location with a camera (illegal) over a QB with a severe character defect and players who can't shut the hell up in the media any day of the week. :D

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why stop at just America? How about globally?
How about it from our fans/friends in other countries?
Got any perceptions to share on Packers vs Stealers?
Or does anyone in America have anything about other countries on this match up?

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
How about it from our fans/friends in other countries?
Got any perceptions to share on Packers vs Stealers?
Or does anyone in America have anything about other countries on this match up?

I've only really had interactions with fans of my own team overseas - but check out NFLUK's forum. I'm betting there are a lot of English Packer fans out there. :)

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't hate the steelers. I don't care for ben or harrison, but Polamalu makes up for both of them. Packers don't have any negative characters, and a few you can't help to cheer for.
Like Donald Driver.

I think his background story of being a kid on the streets having to sell drugs to get by and then to be where he is now made America feel for him and wants to see him win more than anything now.

Again, that's just my intuition.
And my intuition rarely fails me.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I am American, but I find it hard to believe the Steelers would be more liked then the Packers. Our QB may say and do some stupid things every now and then, but..

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can't imagine any way to confirm or refute that one. You'd have to find a poll. It's intellectually honest of you to admit that there's no rational basis for your feeling.

Bomber

Clueless but Luvin It
Reaction score
Unfortunately I only know 3 other folk who like American Football. They only take a passing interest and 1 likes the Dolphins, 1 49ers and one the Bears (suck). Don't know anyone who likes the Steelers.

I will be working on the one that likes the Bears (suck) but he likes the Rangers soccer team as well so he is a bit of a stranger to good taste.

What countries are represented on this forum?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's because no one likes Big Ben.

I have proof:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That made me laugh!
That's a good one.

I like having you on here to add realism and your perspectives SnowPlow.

I appreciate your support for our team and for us Packers fans, though you are a fan of another team.

You are a class act that others of other teams can learn from.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
That made me laugh!
That's a good one.

I like having you on here to add realism and your perspectives as someone who is not a fan, SnowPlow.

I appreciate your support for our team and for us Packers fans.

Thanks. People very close to me are life-long Packer fans, and the Packers are not a hard team to like, and many of the people here are great knowledgeable football fans. :)

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. In 2001, nearly everyone was hoping the Patriots* would win. By the time 2007 rolled around, nearly everyone outside their fan base was hoping they'd lose.

Nope, I wanted them to lose. Ever since they got a freebie thanks to the zebras pulling the Tuck Rule out of their ***** to bail the Patty cakes out I've enjoyed every one of their losses to no end. But none more than when they choked away their perfect season.

:chisux:

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Well, I'll take a coach who steals opposing teams' signals (not illegal) from the wrong location with a camera (illegal) over a QB with a severe character defect and players who can't shut the hell up in the media any day of the week. :D

Don't want to talk out of my ( i ) about this, but after seeing what Mike Florio did to Aaron Rodgers, I am going to keep it in my mind to examine as many details of a story as I can before making a judgment on something.

My understanding is that the camera was okay, just where it was placed was a minor violation of NFL rules. That became (cue ominous music) SPYGATE!!!, is that right?

With all the thuggy, mouthy franchises out there, and having to put up with their coaches, players, and fans, I have come to appreciate the Patriots much more than I used to. I'm not sure that what they did gave them a competitive advantage, but if it did, I'd like to know how, exactly.

If it DID give them a competitive advantage, that's bad. I'm just not really seeing how it did.

And now, I will get my aforementioned ( i ) back on topic. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts