Which TE gets cut: Crabtree or Quarless?

How will the TE breakdown for the final cutdowns?

• Finley and the rookie, with Crabtree making it... Quarless cut.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Finley and the rookie, with Q making it... Crabtree cut.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Finley, Crabtree, and Crabtree make it, the rookie is cut

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They'll keep all 4 TEs (and only carry 2 FBs with Korey Hall gone), so still 6 TE+FBs on roster

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming Jermichael Finley makes it through camp healthy, the Packers are going to have another tough roster decision at TE.

The rookie DJ Williams was a great pick and all reports from camp early are that he looks like a super steal. He'll make the team.

In my opinion, the Packers will only carry 3 TEs on the roster. That means either Quarless or Crabtree will go.

Last year, Crabtree was a nobody, and we couldn't believe, when they signed the guy, that he'd make the team. But he did.

Quarless showed some skills, but he also had a hard time learning the offense, and didn't get much better as the season went on. He did have the one big catch in the first Viking-Packer game for a touchdown (that was actually not a catch).

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I like Crabtree better. Quarless got lucky on that catch that the Vikes didn't have any challenges left. Definitely wasn't even close to being a catch. I thought Crabtree has better hands and is a better blocker.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You only have to watch film of Quarless to know that he needs to grow balls to play NFL. He needs to stop carrying around a handbag on the field, learn to block, run the routes into coverage if that is what the play calls for, not shy away.

Crabtree all the way.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they'll keep everyone of them. Crabtree is by far the best blocker on the TEs. IMHO he's competing with Johnson for the roster spot, but he also plays very well on ST.

And Quarless, management thinks he has potential, so they'll keep him, for nothing more than insurance in case Finley wants to be paid 100M.

I think they'll keep 6 guys total, with TEs and FBs. Right now, I see Finley, Quarless, Crabtree, Williams, Taylor and Kuhn. And they'll use Taylor and Williams as H-Backs A LOT.

I think Johnson is the best blocker period, but he doesn't add anything else, unfortunately, because I love to watch him blow people up, the running game is so much better when he's in there... But this offense is pass first, pass second, pass third, then, if there's enough time, you run it.

Reaction score
McCarthy loves his TE's... It's his personal favorite position just because of their ability to do almost everything on the offense. Run, block, catch, and play special teams. There is no question in my mind that he will keep all the tight ends on the roster right now.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Um, they drafted two tight ends this year and both look OK in practice. With Havner, there are six to chose from. I think Havner is not making team as TE, so that leaves between Quarles and Crabtree. I chose the former to stay.

Reaction score
Um, they drafted two tight ends this year and both look OK in practice. With Havner, there are six to chose from. I think Havner is not making team as TE, so that leaves between Quarles and Crabtree. I chose the former to stay.

Well why would the Packers resign Havner if they weren't interested in them. We will have Finley, Quarless, Crabtree, Williams, possibly Havner, and possibly ryan taylor.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well why would the Packers resign Havner if they weren't interested in them. We will have Finley, Quarless, Crabtree, Williams, possibly Havner, and possibly ryan taylor.

IIRC they re-signed him last year, so he was never a FA this year. They re-signed him when they were short at ST personel.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is the clear #1 TE... Williams has had a great camp and higher draft picks are really cut... Quarless was a savior last season

Crabtree looks like the odd man out, but don't forget the possibility of a trade. Quarless may be moved for a draft pick or backup interior lineman. He is probably the best candidate on the team to be traded.

Reaction score
IIRC they re-signed him last year, so he was never a FA this year. They re-signed him when they were short at ST personel.

Yep... He was on the Lions until he was waived in October and thats when the Packers picked him back up after the Finley injury.

Packers re-sign K Crosby, TE Havner and WR Swain

The link shows us resigning him along with Swain and Crosby.

Packers have run a lot of formations that use tight ends as receivers and fullbacks... I would bet we will cut Hall over Quinn Johnson since Johnson is known for blocking exceptionally well. Either way, Johnson's job is still less secure than any of the TE's since Crabtree could play Johnson's role easily

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is the clear #1 TE... Williams has had a great camp and higher draft picks are really cut... Quarless was a savior last season

Crabtree looks like the odd man out, but don't forget the possibility of a trade. Quarless may be moved for a draft pick or backup interior lineman. He is probably the best candidate on the team to be traded.

Just pointing out, Williams was a 5th round pick, and so was Quarless. Not exactly a high pick.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many days of camp have we had? Little early to call anything great imo.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crabtree makes sense to keep around because he's the best blocker of the group. However I think the team thinks Quarless has a lot of potential to be similar to Finley.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Neither. Although they went TE for catches this year in the draft and they already had Finley and Quarless they still expect big things out of Quarless. Remember what they had in Finley his first year? This is Q's year. They keep 4 TEs and lose a FB. I believe they will move towards more H back sets. I'm sorry but I see Q. Johnson as just beef to shoot through a gap. You can do that with any 250 lb guy. I'm thinking Fin, Q, DJ and Crab.

lookoutblock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you gotta keep Quarless. With Finley going down last year, we need a pass catcher in reserve. Quarless has some potential.

Members online

Latest posts