Which position is the #1 Priority to Upgrade?

Which position would you make sure you added a new upgrade at before next season?

• Total voters

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing a scheme that allows for them to play to their instincts. I think the instinct versus playing the scheme to a t is an excellent point and explains why some guys can look great at times and then completely lost at others. That is why I tend to like man to man better because its more instinctive and reactionary.

I have more confidence in lattimores instincts than Jones following the scheme to a t. Schemes are good on paper. Instincts are good on the field.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little secret, great ILBs more often than not, have a great NT in front of them. Go back in history and look.

Safety and NT are by far our biggest needs. But you can't draft by need early in the draft.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Smallwood/Perryman/Johnson all good day 2 prospects at ILB. Ryan, Lavey, and Morris all good day 3.

Rodgers, Bolser, Peterson, Friel, and Anderson all good late prospects at TE, and everybody knows how much I love Fiedo. I like Lynch a lot too.

Not much to like at FS. The (REAL) best prospect, Joyner is a height scratch.

NT is a bit bare in terms of talent as well, though enough "fatties" in this draft to play the position.

Plenty of Packer WR, not that we can't find a decent receiver in any public toilet.

Attaochu, Gayle, and Ndiaye are my pet ROLB's. Murphy and Shembo are my pet LOLB's

Lot of nice trinkets at the CB position.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing a scheme that allows for them to play to their instincts. I think the instinct versus playing the scheme to a t is an excellent point and explains why some guys can look great at times and then completely lost at others. That is why I tend to like man to man better because its more instinctive and reactionary.

I have more confidence in lattimores instincts than Jones following the scheme to a t. Schemes are good on paper. Instincts are good on the field.
Lattimore's instincts are nonexistant, worse than BJones'; plus according to (I believe it was) Wilde's sources, he keeps forgetting plays.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Capers' system, we were told before he drafted Raji in 2009, how important the NT was.
But that was old-school, when stopping the run was more important than the pass. This league is more pass-heavy than ever before, and with the NT in this scheme, they're basically just supposed to occupy blockers, and free up the LBers and Safeties coming into the box to make the plays against the run.

So IMO, a mid-round behemoth is find. We seem to be wasting Raji's ability by having him eat up blockers. Maybe that's because Jones and Hawk and our DB's aren't good or physical enough to do what Willis and Keuchly and Bowman do.

So in my mind, NT is not nearly that high of an importance to upgrade. I too like Boyd, but again, what's the NT asked to do in this scheme?

Or perhaps there's a World of difference between what Willis and Co. play behind. As for pass versus run I expect that the running game will make a return given the necessity of protecting one's Quarterback with a balanced rushing attack. I'm not alone in thinking this either, see the heavy focus on Eddie Lacy before Rodgers' injury. Assuming that teams are still focusing on the passing game this means that run stuffing anchors will be undervalued and perhaps a good one should be available at the bottom of the first. Look to grab an NT in rounds 1-2 a Safety in round 1-3 and an ILB in rounds 2-5. TE should be looked at in the middle rounds along with another receiver and Center.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk good but not at the level of a Clay Matthews though. So it could be his last year this year in a Packer uniform!

In a Defense loaded with holes let's jettison one of the few good/reliable players, I'm with ya!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a lot of ammo to get from 32 to the top where the difference makers are. Then we might just get the clone of AJ Hawk.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk good but not at the level of a Clay Matthews though. So it could be his last year this year in a Packer uniform!

No way. Hawk is the most consistent player we have on D. Sure, he's not Patrick Willis, but the guy gives everything he has each and every game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to look hard at Shazeer from Ohio State if we are going mlb. He's good enough to play outside or inside. More Ohio State defenders in this defense is alright with me haha. Heck i wouldn't be upset to see Teddy trade up and grab Bradley Roby either. Corner isn't a huge need but you can't have to many of those and Tramon Williams either needs to take a paycut or cut.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO safety is the most glaring need and has been since Collins “retired”. I think Burnett could be a good #2 safety but we’ll never find out if they don’t get a better safety. I have heard/read a report that someone on the staff has mentioned Hyde as a safety; that would be worth exploring if they don’t add another one. Richardson is also intriguing with a full and healthy TC under his belt, but he’s certainly no sure thing. Whether at safety or not Hyde and Heyward have great instincts and Shields is a very good cover CB. That’s certainly something to build upon in the secondary.

BTW, I don’t think the Packers are wasting Raji’s talents, I think Raji is. Earlier in the season he had a lot of snaps in the sub packages in which he is supposed to get pressure on the QB and the best thing you can say about him is he did so inconsistently. If Raji was excelling at getting pressure earlier in the season, Pickett, Jolly and Wilson were available to take his snaps in the base D. I don’t know what happened to him. If you look at his play during the 2010 season and look at it now… The needs could change depending upon who the Packers retain. What if Raji leaves for greener pastures and Jolly’s injury is career-threatening?

For the draft I agree with those saying they should draft the best defensive player available. A difference maker at any level of the D would be huge. And yes, it’s unlikely a rookie, even a first rounder, could make an immediate impact.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO safety is the most glaring need and has been since Collins “retired”. I think Burnett could be a good #2 safety but we’ll never find out if they don’t get a better safety. I have heard/read a report that someone on the staff has mentioned Hyde as a safety; that would be worth exploring if they don’t add another one. Richardson is also intriguing with a full and healthy TC under his belt, but he’s certainly no sure thing. Whether at safety or not Hyde and Heyward have great instincts and Shields is a very good cover CB. That’s certainly something to build upon in the secondary.

BTW, I don’t think the Packers are wasting Raji’s talents, I think Raji is. Earlier in the season he had a lot of snaps in the sub packages in which he is supposed to get pressure on the QB and the best thing you can say about him is he did so inconsistently. If Raji was excelling at getting pressure earlier in the season, Pickett, Jolly and Wilson were available to take his snaps in the base D. I don’t know what happened to him. If you look at his play during the 2010 season and look at it now… The needs could change depending upon who the Packers retain. What if Raji leaves for greener pastures and Jolly’s injury is career-threatening?

For the draft I agree with those saying they should draft the best defensive player available. A difference maker at any level of the D would be huge. And yes, it’s unlikely a rookie, even a first rounder, could make an immediate impact.

Well I don't think you draft an OLB, we already have 3 developmental guys at the position. I also don't think you draft a DE because we have enough of those.

I actually think that this is one year where a couple Badgers might wind up high on TT's draft board. Both Chris Borland and Beau Allen are very good players and appear to be undervalued. Chris Borland was probably the best ILB/MLB in the Country last year he lacks height. Beau Allen was a very stout workhorse NT but he seems to be scaring scouts away with his whiteness. I'd look for Borland in rounds 2-3 and Allen somewhere in rounds 4-6.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd prefer a player up the middle (like a good baseball defense), either a NT, ILB, or safety. But if an OLB is available at their first pick they grade as a difference maker, they should grab him. I believe Neal is a FA and who knows the prognosis of Perry's foot? I just don't think the Packers are in a position to pass on their top rated defensive player in the first round no matter where he plays.

Regarding Beau Allen I already endorsed him for the Packers - I believe I said if he's available in the third round... and if I remember correctly someone responded that he's likely to have a 7th round grade.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft a player..no more freakin experimenting. i woulddraft a safety in the second like they did with Burnett. We need another stud linebacker imo. BTW if Burnett was taken in the 1st he would be considered a bust to.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no question the Packers' defensive struggles began when they lost Nick Collins. They need a safety who can make plays, tackle, and be the secondary and unit leader like he was. The likelihood of finding a player in the draft who can step in and be that kind of guy from the start is remote. Experience counts here. Ted Thompson needs to make his most significant foray into free agency in 8 years this offseason and land one of the quality safeties who will be on the market.

Take your pick. Jairus Byrd, Donte Whitner, Bernard Pollard, T.J. Ward, the Clemons guy from Miami. And there are some others.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably will have 9 picks. (7 + Comp. Jennings + Comp. Walden). In my opinion, these are the 9 biggest needs:
1. Safety - The second safety next to Burnett has been the weakest link all season long. We need a reliable starter at safety.
2. Nose Tackle - Pickett is aging, Raji isn't the answer. We need a new nose tackle for the future.
3. Outside Linebacker - For a 3/4 to be effective, you need good linebackers to rush the passer. Se we need a guy opposite to Clay. Perry might or might not be that guy. Would be nice to have another outside linebacker to compete for the starting spot.
4. Wide Receiver - This spread offense needs weapons to be effective. Ideally you have at least four guys that can catch footballs, so that we can deal with injuries at this position. James Jones a free agent and aging, so we better draft his replacement early.
5. Inside Linebacker - A.J. Hawk is decent, not great. Jones and Lattimore are weak links. Would be nice to bring in a guy to compete at this spot.
6/7. Tackle and Center - The O-line is ok. We will have a solid O-line next year with Baktiari, Sitton, EDS, Lang and Bulaga. We have some nice depth with Barclay,but I think he will be a better guard than tackle. Sherrod and Tretter are questionmarks. Therefore we will need some depth at the tackle and center.
8. Tight End - We have a decent tight end in Quarless and a promising one in Bostick (Finley's career is probably over, although I hope he returns). I would be nice to add a promising tight end, but I don't consider this position a huge need (I would rather draft a receiver early).
9. Cornerback - We have a nice group of cornerbacks. However it is important to have depth at this position in a pass happy league. We will play a lot of nickel and dime.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably will have 9 picks. (7 + Comp. Jennings + Comp. Walden). In my opinion, these are the 9 biggest needs:
1. Safety - The second safety next to Burnett has been the weakest link all season long. We need a reliable starter at safety.
2. Nose Tackle - Pickett is aging, Raji isn't the answer. We need a new nose tackle for the future.
3. Outside Linebacker - For a 3/4 to be effective, you need good linebackers to rush the passer. Se we need a guy opposite to Clay. Perry might or might not be that guy. Would be nice to have another outside linebacker to compete for the starting spot.
4. Wide Receiver - This spread offense needs weapons to be effective. Ideally you have at least four guys that can catch footballs, so that we can deal with injuries at this position. James Jones a free agent and aging, so we better draft his replacement early.
5. Inside Linebacker - A.J. Hawk is decent, not great. Jones and Lattimore are weak links. Would be nice to bring in a guy to compete at this spot.
I agree with all those except your #5 HAS TO be #1.
Nobody realizes how bad these ILBs are?
Seriously.

Remember the 2010 Super Bowl season, and how much better we were in that run with Desmond Bishop?
He was good.

I get to see Sean Lee here in Dallas a lot. He got hurt this year. But before he was hurt, he was so SO much better than what we see in Green Bay. Same with the TWO guys on the 49ers. Of course there's Kuechly, etc.

Our guys are average and below-average. That equals below-average.

B Jones has no instincts at all as an ILB. He was an OLB and that's his main skillset. He is not an INSIDE linebacker.
Hawk? He's dependable. Amazing that he's the highest drafted ILB in the league. Wow.

If we simply traded ILBs with SF or Carolina, I think we're the Super Bowl favorites. That's how bad and important the 2 ILB spots are in this defense.

THEY are the guys expected to make the majority of the plays. 10-15 tackles a game, a lot at the LOS.

Capers asks for his DL guys to occupy the blockers to allow these LBers to flow to the ball and make plays. How often do we see that happen?
Ask Le'Veon Bell, who had his best NFL day ever against us.
Ask DeMarco Murray, who had his best game of the season against us.
Go back to the first Bears game where Forte killed us. He also had three TDs last week against us.
Go back to last year's playoff loss to the Niners where Gore ran for 150......

Our ILBs are horrible.
I think some folks still think Hawk is better than he is because he was the #5 overall pick back in 2006 (ahead of Vernon Davis and Haloti Ngata). He's just a guy. At least he doesn't get hurt all the time, but still, he's average at best.

Members online

Latest posts