Which position is the #1 Priority to Upgrade?

Which position would you make sure you added a new upgrade at before next season?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB, where Brad Jones and AJ Hawk are so poor compared to good ones like in Carolina, San Fran, etc.

Safety, where we have ZERO combined Ints this whole season because they A) overrated Morgan Burnett and B) banked on the youngsters MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian magically blossoming into real NFL Safeties.

TE, where we once had a great mismatch whom opposing defenses keyed on stopping in Jermichael Finley.

Here are my thoughts on these areas:
When I watch Luke Kuechly in Carolina, or San Francisco with both Willis and Bowman, I rarely ever see big gaping holes with RB's able to drive a mack truck through. With us, see the Dallas game where almost every time DeMarco Murray got the handoff, there was a huge hole and there he went. Our ILBs kept either getting gobbled up or worse, they'd sniff the wrong lane and take themselves out of the area and leave the hole wide open. I think we miss Desmond Bishop a lot, and if we could add a stud to replace Jones or Hawk (both would be my dream), we could improve this overall defense so much. Afterall, in this scheme it is said the DL just occupies blockers and it's the LBers who are supposed to make the plays. As we see, they don't make enough of them.

Safety.
Nick Collins was so great. That loss was fatal for us.
But they could have done a lot lot better than drafting a no-name from Maine named Jerron, and then another no-name undrafted guy in MD Jennings.
Morgan Burnett was drafted higher than projections showed, and he's had a torn ACL and a broken hand, and otherwise has not ever risen to the level they hoped, and yet they gave him a new deal before this season expecting that from him.
What have we got from him? Zero interceptions back there, that's what. He has not learned how to read offenses yet. He's rarely in the right place at the right time, like we used to get from Collins. He has no interceptions, but he's our best one.
Behind him there's nothing yet except we have optimism for Sean Richardson & Chris Banjo. Now these guys have some physicality yep. But they were not drafted for a reason.... sure some undrafted guys can turn into studs, but it's pretty rare all things considered.
We could have drafted a legit talented S in Harrison Smith last year. He added a lot to that Vikings defense in 2012. Same was the case this year in NO with Kenny Vacarro. Both guys are done for the year though this year with injuries. So it's not just the Packers.

Tight End.
Opposing teams used to really worry about Jermichael Finley, and that helped open up things for all the WRs. When they stopped their focus on the TE, Rodgers would often make them pay with Finley. Last year or the year before, Finley had the hat trick of TDs at Chicago one game in a win, scoring all 3 of our TDs that game.
Quarless has shown some decent stuff. But there are a few TE's going to be in this next draft who might be that Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type of TE weapon, and with Rodgers, that would make this offense so unstoppable, with the great RB in Lacy and the WR's back.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish people would learn to put Other / non of the above in their polls. I'd rather upgrade the people that oversee the training program. We have competent players as most every position if they'd just stay healthy for most of the year.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense is definitely in need of the most attention, so I would rank Safety and ILB above TE in order of importance. Given our likely draft position, however, it's more likely that a long-term solution is available at the TE position than at Safety or ILB in around 1. Clinton-Dix will be gone by the time we're on the clock and it's likely that CJ Mosley will be as well. Amaro, however is likely to be there yet. (I don't think I am too high on Clinton-Dix anymore anyway and would prefer we not draft him in round 1 if he's available.)

So I think S and ILB are higher priorities, but they are unlikely to be addressed before TE.

I'm focusing on potential draft day upgrades rather than free agents for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish people would learn to put Other / non of the above in their polls. I'd rather upgrade the people that oversee the training program.
If they were a position we could draft, I would be able to put it in... but everyone would choose that one option.
In this case, I think there are 2 areas we are so bad at.... and we see the results when guys like Forte and Murray and LeVeon Bell all have their best days of their seasons running thru us.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If they were a position we could draft, I would be able to put it in... but everyone would choose that one option.
In this case, I think there are 2 areas we are so bad at.... and we see the results when guys like Forte and Murray and LeVeon Bell all have their best days of their seasons running thru us.
I concede your point. NOTA is usually very popular. I went with ILB. Hawk seems to play better with Lattimore in than with Jones. Don't know why and can't statistically back it up. Just an appearance. Does Hawk have the radio in this case? Would like to see Hawk with a better mate or replaced to let Lattimore shine.
The entire defense seems better with Richardson on the field. Definitely the better option and he really makes Burnett look bad. Upgrade Burnett maybe. I'm willing to give Quarless a healthy season starting at TE with Rodgers under center before I write him off.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our safety position is much weaker than ILB. Comparing Burnett to Hawk makes it clear. Hawk at least understands the defense very well and is consistent. Burnett is an average safety at best but doesn't have the intangibles that Hawk possesses - team leader, availability, etc. I also feel that there is slightly more promise at ILB with Lattimore and Barrington that could develop over the offseason. I don't see even that marginal amount of depth at safety. I suppose one could say that Richardson and Banjo (moved over) are similar prospects. Either way, it should be a top emphasis.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILBs we are solid. Lots of room to upgrade, but not a glaring weakness.
TE: Finley is going to have to take a pay cut and play for the Pack. He isn't going to get big $$$ anywhere after having the big injury. Quarless has evolved and now seems solid. We could use some depth, but if Finley is back, TE will be a position of strength.
S: I like Burnett and the defense got better when he returned early in the season. I am hoping that Richardson evolves into a playmaker, but I hope we draft another option here early in the draft. However, I do not see any draftable players who will make an immediate impact at Safety.

Overall, though, I think the defense takes a step up if we get an impact ILB - but those don't come along very often, and the 2, Willis and kuechly were drafted much higher than the Pack can expect to go. There is an ILB, CJ Mosley who should be around late in the 1st who is both physical and aggressive. I do believe that getting a tough vocal leader would be a big benefit to the Packers - regardless of where he plays.

So, Safety is a bigger need, but ILB will be the most opportunity to upgrade in this draft.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB, where Brad Jones and AJ Hawk are so poor compared to good ones like in Carolina, San Fran, etc.

Safety, where we have ZERO combined Ints this whole season because they A) overrated Morgan Burnett and B) banked on the youngsters MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian magically blossoming into real NFL Safeties.

TE, where we once had a great mismatch whom opposing defenses keyed on stopping in Jermichael Finley.

Here are my thoughts on these areas:
When I watch Luke Kuechly in Carolina, or San Francisco with both Willis and Bowman, I rarely ever see big gaping holes with RB's able to drive a mack truck through. With us, see the Dallas game where almost every time DeMarco Murray got the handoff, there was a huge hole and there he went. Our ILBs kept either getting gobbled up or worse, they'd sniff the wrong lane and take themselves out of the area and leave the hole wide open. I think we miss Desmond Bishop a lot, and if we could add a stud to replace Jones or Hawk (both would be my dream), we could improve this overall defense so much. Afterall, in this scheme it is said the DL just occupies blockers and it's the LBers who are supposed to make the plays. As we see, they don't make enough of them.

Safety.
Nick Collins was so great. That loss was fatal for us.
But they could have done a lot lot better than drafting a no-name from Maine named Jerron, and then another no-name undrafted guy in MD Jennings.
Morgan Burnett was drafted higher than projections showed, and he's had a torn ACL and a broken hand, and otherwise has not ever risen to the level they hoped, and yet they gave him a new deal before this season expecting that from him.
What have we got from him? Zero interceptions back there, that's what. He has not learned how to read offenses yet. He's rarely in the right place at the right time, like we used to get from Collins. He has no interceptions, but he's our best one.
Behind him there's nothing yet except we have optimism for Sean Richardson & Chris Banjo. Now these guys have some physicality yep. But they were not drafted for a reason.... sure some undrafted guys can turn into studs, but it's pretty rare all things considered.
We could have drafted a legit talented S in Harrison Smith last year. He added a lot to that Vikings defense in 2012. Same was the case this year in NO with Kenny Vacarro. Both guys are done for the year though this year with injuries. So it's not just the Packers.

Tight End.
Opposing teams used to really worry about Jermichael Finley, and that helped open up things for all the WRs. When they stopped their focus on the TE, Rodgers would often make them pay with Finley. Last year or the year before, Finley had the hat trick of TDs at Chicago one game in a win, scoring all 3 of our TDs that game.
Quarless has shown some decent stuff. But there are a few TE's going to be in this next draft who might be that Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type of TE weapon, and with Rodgers, that would make this offense so unstoppable, with the great RB in Lacy and the WR's back.

I'd rate the teams needs as follows;

1) NT: We desperately need to find someone who can anchor the Defense. Grease has slipped too much and Raji just isn't physical enough. Jolly never was a workhorse, more of a good rotation guy. Perhaps Boyd can turn into a player for us.

2) S: Difference maker at the Safety spot would be nice. Of course perhaps Micah Hyde could make the jump? Kid is smart physical willing and while average running speed for a corner he's fast for a safety. Then you have Sean Richardson whom the Coaches like and has shown plenty of promise.

3) ILB: I like Hawk and have made no secret of this. I'd like to pair a physical play the run thumper type with him. Hawk is durable and he's looked good when he's been allowed to flow to the ball. That and in his lighter faster form he's been a lot better in coverage. I don't think we need a stud here, a physical crashes the line and blows up blockers type would do wonders for our defense. Brady Poppinga couldn't cover, blitz or tackle a runner in the open field to save his life. But that man used to murder lead blockers, heck he'd even blow up guards with surprising frequency. Someone like that, even with his deficiencies, would do wonders for our Defense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for other team needs, I think TE might warrant a pick in rounds 4-6 and I think you look to shore up the interior of our line in those rounds as well. As for the other positions;

OT: I think David Bakhtiari has shown plenty of promise with his long arms and quick feet. Barclay is just a stable play hard backup and it looks like Derek Sherrod has made a remarkable comeback. Team says he looks good in practice but he needs a full Training Camp and some pre-season work before he'll be ready to play. Not sure about Bulaga, too many injuries to too many different parts of his body.

QB: We're set and even have a good backup now.

RB: We're set although we'll have to cough up some money here. Lacy might hold out for more money if he doesn't get a new contract in the off season. Don't underestimate the impact of his family and agent telling him that he needs to get paid now.

WR: Set here as well, team let's James Jones go as he's too replaceable.

DE: I think we're good here, just need to find a real NT.

OLB: Both Neal and Perry have shown promise, Perry needs a full offseason to fix his foot.

CB: Shields is a decent number 1, Heyward Hyde and House make for a pretty solid unit. Williams will either renegotiate his contract or be cut.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB. Before i would have said Safety but i think with a healthy Heyward we could slide Micah Hyde to FS and put Burnett at SS. We need another person besides #52 to get the passer. Neal can't stay healthy, Perry can't stay healthy, and all of a sudden Matthews can't stay healthy. Neal probably won't be here much longer and Perry is guaranteed to miss time due to injury and can't even keep his job as a starter so we need another playmaker there. My vote is now OLB.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Uh oh....Your crazy has spread from another thread.

Anyway, for offense, I think we'll be fine on the O-line next season. Set at RB with Lacy, Starks, Franklin and Harris. Really good at RB, actually. WR we're good. Quarless has done well lately at TE and Bostik is a big athletic guy. I wouldn't pick a TE high unless he's the best player available. QB we're all set.

As far as defense, we could use an upgrade a few positions so I'd go best defensive player available. If no player jumps out, I'd say D-line is the highest priority. Guys aren't getting off their blocks enough. Safety is a need. I am excited to see what Richardson can do though. Not that I'm an NFL scout by any means, but I like what I've seen from him so far.

D

Deleted member 6794

RB: We're set although we'll have to cough up some money here. Lacy might hold out for more money if he doesn't get a new contract in the off season. Don't underestimate the impact of his family and agent telling him that he needs to get paid now

The CBA doesn't allow renegatiations of rookie contracts until there's only one year left on the deal.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
FS/CF. It's going to take 3 years before the player blossoms, so the sooner we plug in a legit prospect, the better. We can skirt by with our ILB, and with our WR corp we can skirt the TE position too. What teams have won the Superbowl the past 10 years, and who played Safety for them? It's revealing.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would definitely take Clinton-Dix or Mosely if available in the first round, I don't think either of them would be there. There's not another safety or ILB worth a mid-late first round pick IMO. In that case, I would pick the best ILB or safety when we pick in the second round and use the first round pick on Jace Amaro, who would probably be there when we pick or perhaps that Ebron kid at UNC.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
AJ Hawk good but not at the level of a Clay Matthews though. So it could be his last year this year in a Packer uniform!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rate the teams needs as follows;

1) NT: We desperately need to find someone who can anchor the Defense.
In Capers' system, we were told before he drafted Raji in 2009, how important the NT was.
But that was old-school, when stopping the run was more important than the pass. This league is more pass-heavy than ever before, and with the NT in this scheme, they're basically just supposed to occupy blockers, and free up the LBers and Safeties coming into the box to make the plays against the run.

So IMO, a mid-round behemoth is find. We seem to be wasting Raji's ability by having him eat up blockers. Maybe that's because Jones and Hawk and our DB's aren't good or physical enough to do what Willis and Keuchly and Bowman do.

So in my mind, NT is not nearly that high of an importance to upgrade. I too like Boyd, but again, what's the NT asked to do in this scheme?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first change is to let Capers go. From there you can bring in another 3-4 oriented coach, but one not running the archaic version where 2 fat tubs take up blockers. The secondary can perform differently as well. None of these guys seem to be the smartest guy in the room as they some zone assignments from time to time. As a whole they also don't seem like heat seeking missiles. It seems like if you play zone you have got to be a missile to the pass catcher. However....when he lets them play man they seem quite a bit more comfortable. Even House alright 1 on 1. get him in zone and he is awful but give him 1 guy to take care of and he seems better.

Some things that I would love to see them pick up though.....

A relentless ball of fire DT. No more 400 lb road blocks. Those road blocks don't get pressure and teams can scheme their blocking to use these guys to pick the linebackers be it on the blitz or run. You can still keep a pickett or a jolly around to be the exception...just not the rule.

A stud safety that can tackle. Good luck finding one but you CAN NOT do worse than MD Jennings. I like Richardson but have seen so little of him and am scared of his injury history.

A few ILB's. Jones is a dumpster fire. Hawk is good not great but he can't be out there next to a guy who is awful like Jones. He has to have a guy equal if not better than him. I like Lattimore but he gets so few reps with $$Jones out there.

TE- Here is where I think TT can snag a salty vet to help out. A guy like Greg Olsen would be perfect IMO. A big body who can get open and catch the ball.

I also hope Campen is allowed to pursue other interests. I would love to see a line coach who can coach a screen play (in coordination with the running backs coach). It looks so horribly awkward when they do it and it could be a huge part of the offense. Its been better this year with Big Ed but it could be a whole lot better. I want to see these guys catch the ball and get a head of steam. They always seem to catch it while trying to turn the corner and their bodies/heads are not in a good position to immediately go north south nor read the blocks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A while ago one thing I heard was Latt's hammy was an issue so he wasnt playing and the hope was he would catch on to the scheme....

More rumbles of Lattimore isnt sure of his assignment when in there..(wssp 1250 has mentioned it)

He is playing with his instincts was something else mentioned..Not sure how the guys are suppose to play...Instinct or follow the scheme to a T

Members online

Latest posts