Which Packer players would be top 10 in the NFL?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this is the quietest time in the nfl, the nfl.com is making a top 5 position list, and I'm bored, I've decided to do this.

QB
Aaron Rodgers is for sure top 10 material. I would put him behind Brady, Manning, Brees, and maybe Warner, depending on what he has left. But he makes top 10 easily.

RB
No. I have faith in Grant. But he ain't top 10.

FB
No.

WR
Greg Jennings. Better than him, only Fitzgerald. Moss and T.O. in their prime. Calvin Johnson is as good as him. Jennings is top 10.

TE
Maybe Lee can make a top 15. Not a top 10

OT
Clifton used to be. Not anymore. The other guys show promise, but that's all.

OG/C
Our guys are solid at best. Not top 10

DE/OLB (pass rusher)
The Sackman, according to NFL.COM statistics, is the 3rd best sacker since 2005, behind Ware and Allen. Enough said.

DT/NT
We can hope Raji becomes one, but it's only hope. Pickett is not.

3-4 DE
I have a feeling Jenkins will be a force. But again, he hasn't played as a 3-4 DE. So no.

MLB/ILB
I would love to put Barnett in here, but I don't think he's top 10. Def. top 15, though. A.J. isn't. Maybe proper coaching will put him in.

4-3 OLB
We don't have any anymore, do we? Even if we still played in the 4-3, IMO neither Hawk, Chillar or Poppinga would be top 10. Matthews is a rookie...

CB
Charles Woodson. One can make a case that Nmandi Asomugah is better. But only because he's younger. Charles Woodson is the man, and anyone who says otherwise just don't know football (I'm looking at you, Mr. Rod Woodson and Bucky Brooks (who?)).
Al Harris. A LOT of packer fans love him. I don't. I admit, he almost never let a receiver burn him, despite being slow. But that's because he's a penalty machine. Yeah, Favre threw the pick at the NFCC game against NY. But Burress killed Harris all night long...

S
Here's the biggest discussion. I say Nick Collins ISN'T top 10. He gives way too many big plays. That's not to say he's bad. I think he can be coached up to be a force. The same goes to Bigby.

K
No. There's another player I can't stand. Mason Crosby. Too many missed field goals. Important ones. At least he has a very strong leg and is young.

P
No. Don't even know who'll be our punter. What I do know is that he'll be better than Frost. The worst punter I've ever seen.

KR/PR
I think Blackmon cracks the top 10. Yes, he makes a lot of mistakes. But he breaks huge ones, too.

Thoughts?

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
YOU DISSIN ON MY MAN 3irty1?! haha jk

I like your list, and with can agree with atleast most of it. Harris probably wouldn't ever be concidered top 10, but thats because his numbers don't reflect his ability. Even though he's a "penalty machine", and i agree, he still locks down a reciever and makes the quarterback always look elsewhere, giving Woodson the chance to make a big play. GREAT COMBO. love our corners. Woodson is the man too, and i also love Collins last season and hope to see him improve more. Bigby i feel was very good the season before, and definatley didn't play to his best ability last season, but he is a STRONG hitting safety, which i love.

I also agree with crosby, I love the guy, but there are all those times I was speachless after an important FG attempt.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YOU DISSIN ON MY MAN 3irty1?! haha jk

I like your list, and with can agree with atleast most of it. Harris probably wouldn't ever be concidered top 10, but thats because his numbers don't reflect his ability. Even though he's a "penalty machine", and i agree, he still locks down a reciever and makes the quarterback always look elsewhere, giving Woodson the chance to make a big play. GREAT COMBO. love our corners. Woodson is the man too, and i also love Collins last season and hope to see him improve more. Bigby i feel was very good the season before, and definatley didn't play to his best ability last season, but he is a STRONG hitting safety, which i love.

I also agree with crosby, I love the guy, but there are all those times I was speachless after an important FG attempt.
The funniest part is that everytime there's a top cb tandem list I put Harris and Woodson. And like I said, he almost allways blanket the wr. I prefer a CB that doesn't allow many catches but doesn't make many interceptions than the gambler type. But him and Bigby made me lose my hair back in 07 with the penalties. And he's getting old, so...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
any man who can return to playing a full contact sport after having his spleen ruptured 4 weeks ago is only old on paper :p

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always loved Al Harris and that he is a receivers nightmare, but the problem is he isn't a quarterback's nightmare like Woodson (or Collins was for that matter). I think a healthy Barnett is really good, top 10, I dont know but good. If Grant get get 1200+ rushing yards with the great yards per carry he had in 2007, then he might make top ten. I agree with you on Rodgers, I think he is a no question top 10, if he doesn't have a sophomore slump.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is NOT a top 10 QB, yet.

Man, I love you deluded homers. You think every Packer should be top ten. You even think Ted Thompson is a good GM.

Denial is a wonderful drug....

I'd say Tausher and Driver are top 10.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, there is no packer after last year that deserves any kind of top 10 accolade. Rogers I think actually has HOF potential but that is something that must be considered years down the road and if he can carry the Pack to the SB. Kampman would of been top ten but as a OLB he will most likely be somewhat mediocre. This Packer team has loads of talent where every player has top 10 potential but tapping into that and using it are two things. I also strongly believe that to be top 10 this offense, defense and ST needs to mold into one unit. Then we can talk about top players.

PS!! Rogers is already better than Brett haha just my 2 cents!!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man, I love you deluded homers. You think every Packer should be top ten. You even think Ted Thompson is a good GM.

Can you name 10 current NFL quarterbacks who are better than Rodgers?

Tausher has bad injuries so he's not top 10, and as much as I want to say he is but DD is not top 10, Jennings is however.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some guys just don't let facts interfere with their thesis. His point is that TT is the devil, so anyone TT brought is bad, and anyone that was here before is God. Plain and simple. Like I said, people over at Vikings Message Board.Com • Index page would appreciate his ideas... BTW, I'm pretty sure that even if he responds, he'll only pick the first sentence I wrote and put something like TT's current winning record or such...

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to take longevity into account because some of these guys aren't as bonafide stars as others who have produced similarly over longer periods of time.

QB: Tough call, if he is in the top 10 he is probably number 10.
RB: Not even close
WR: Jennings probably, but there are at least 5 guys above him. Fitz, Boldin, Moss, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and maybe Reggie Wayne off the top of my tired head.
TE: No
OL: No
DL: Kampman if he was still playing there, but he's not
LB: No
CB: Woodson in the 5-10 range, Al Harris no.
S: No
K: Crosby

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are some elite pas rusher's sack totals since 2005. I figured a 4 year spam is good enough, since they all were in the league in 2005. Mario Williams' record is too short (2 years), and so is Harrison's.
Ware - 53,5
Allen - 48,5
Kampman - 43,5
Abraham - 41
Peppers - 40,5
Taylor - 40
Mathis - 39,5
Merriman - 39,5
Burgess - 38,5
Osi - 33,5
Freeney - 30,5

Source: NFL Stats: by Player Category

Sack totals are a better way to compare players than sack average, because how good is a player that can't stay healthy?
As you can see, Kampman is the 3rd best pass rusher since 2005. How that'll translate to OLB? I don't know. I think Capers is smart enough to put him in a position were he can thrive, though.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well NFL Network ranks Rodgers #5 as far as FFL numbers are concerned. If the production is there in '09 like it was in '08, all Rodgers needs to do is learn how to escape the pass rush better & he will be a Top 5 QB.

Tauscher is done. With the youth waiting to develop there's no way an ailing #65 takes away reps from the guy(s) who need them more. I will be surprised if Tauscher takes any reps at all as a starter in '09.

Driver isn't the threat he used to be. He's still able to get open & break the occasional long TD, but as far as a triple threat like Jennings (speed, hands & agility) has come in just a few short years, there's no way Driver can claim to be the #1 go-to guy in GB, moreso better than Jennings. I do think as well as they complement each other, Driver & Jennings are a Top 5 WR tandem.

Grant has a big ? mark on him for '09. I think he'll make believers out of us all though.

O-line doesn't have a Top Ten player among them. They're solid to effective as a group but no individual stands out as a definitive Pro Bowler. Yet.

D-line is much better than the O-line, even without Kampman. I like Jolly's hustle & Jenkins is a versatile guy, able to disrupt the passing game & defend against the run. Pickett is unsung outside of GB but may be the only worthy prospect of this group for a Top Ten at DT/NT.

As a sidenote, I want to say that I feel REALLY good about the D-line's prospects in the 3-4. To me it just feels like this group of guys will be able to gel quickly & that will make the LBs a better unit. I can't say exactly why but I get good vibes when I envision Pickett, Jolly, Jenkins, Raji & Harrell (yes, Harrell) being able to carry the load in '09. If even one other guy (Malone, Montgomery, Talley, Wynn) steps up this will be a dominant D-line.

Even though #74 is an OLB now he's still most definitely a Top Ten player, regardless of position. Strength, speed & quickness are a lethal combination at any spot on defense. Throw in intelligence & experience & you have maybe the best OLB in the league come voting time in December.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that another injury doesn't spell doom for the CB position for GB. I love Harris' overall game but don't foresee him able to sustain what he's done for so long that much longer. Woodson has found a home in GB's secondary & I'm thankful for that. He's certainly Top 5.

Collins has gotten some great opportunities to shine, especially in '08. Those high INT numbers & the pick-six ability rocketed him to relevance as a FS in the NFL. He deserved the Pro Bowl nod but can he continue to improve? I've got my doubts. For him to be so concerned with $$$ instead of getting better (not saying this is so, just IMHO), like not attending the OTAs leads me to conclude he's believing his own hype. Not a good sign. I hope I'm wrong. Bigby has to dominate this year if he wants to be considered Top Ten.

Crosby kicks like a 12-gauge shotgun so I'm not worried about his physical skills. Keeping his head in the game without feeling the pressure is where he needs improvement. It will come but right now I wouldn't consider him Top Ten.

Blackmon must be Top Ten. He's lightning quick & possesses great feet & vision. How long is it before he's elevated to something other than ST? Does that type of talent need to be on defense or should he be considered an offensve threat? I haven't seen him make too many big plays in coverage yet. I wonder if he'd make a better WR than DB.

How about Head Coach? Does MM deserve a Top Ten rank? No.

Is TT still considered to be at the top of the league as he was voted so after the '07 season? Did the disappointment of '08 drop him far enough out of a Top Ten spot? No. TT is a Top Ten GM. I can't believe I just typed that.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM - He received votes for coach of the year in 07. That's not to say much, since Sparano was voted coach of the year last year, and I don't think he's a top 10 coach. I think we're good with MM, and Offensively he's for sure top 10. But overall he's 10-15 in the league. Maybe with Capers complementing his skills we'll have one of the best coaching staff in the league?

TT - I like him. I like his philosofy in team management, and think he has hit more than missed. But he's not one of the best in the league. But the thing is, I can think of 3, maybe 4 elite GMs, 5 poor GMs, 1 Matt Millen and the rest is good GMs. Maybe he's top 10, but not because he's great.
(And I can't believe you said that, doughsellz)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Epic fail

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's fun reading these old threads.

I remember the Mike McCarthy should be fired thread 3 months before he won the Super Bowl.

Members online

Latest posts