Where's Mariucci?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a curious thing.
Some of these guys on TT's list are a "just going through the motions" move, others are serious candidates.
Teddy says he wants to explore all options to make an educated decision, yet he is bypassing Mooch.
I wonder why.
This article brings up some good points.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the fact that Mariucci shouldnt be blamed fully for the mess in Detroit

This article makes a case for Sean Payton to be honest...in my mind at least

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they would at least give Mariucci an interview especially after Favre's agent went to the press pushing for it a little bit. I'll tell you what, if Favre would come out and say he'd come back if Mooch were named HC, TT would get mobbed if he declined the man at the very least, an interview.

2002 OLY packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I sure like Mooch. I'd love to see him back as a Packer, but not HC. I want a Cowers type coach. Someone who can get spitting mean and ugly is who I want. He can scare the crap out of me. I think alot of these spoiled and overpaid kids need that.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Mariucci
No coach wins in the NFL with lousy personnel. Some coaches can't even win with good players. Mariucci has proven he can win when he has the horses, going 60-43 (.583) in six seasons with the Niners and leading them to the playoffs four times.

Since firing Mariucci, the Niners have gone 7-9, 2-14 and 4-12, a 13-35 three-year mark, good for a .271 winning percentage. There might be a lesson in there somewhere for Matt Millen and the Lions who would do well not to compound their mistake by firing **** Jauron.

Of course if they did, Jauron might welcome the news. Without a quarterback, can the bypass surgery of the Lions' next coach be far off?

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me a HC who has won or trained under winners. Mooch can go elsewhere. I'm glad we aren't considering him. He has done nothing for Detroit.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
Give me a HC who has won or trained under winners. Mooch can go elsewhere. I'm glad we aren't considering him. He has done nothing for Detroit.

Mariucci won and trained under Mike Holmgren...I'd consider Holmgren a "winner" wouldn't you?

Yeah, if Mooch can't do anything in Detroit after the GM did such an outstanding job loading that roster... :roll:

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to coaching, it's an inexact science. Do you base Pete Carroll's coaching skills on the job he did with the Jets? Do you base Bill Belichick's coaching ability on the job he did with the Browns? There are many factors to weigh. The front office and ownership for instance. Mooch has has both of his head coaching opportunities in places where ownership was definitely not a strength and the front office people were meddlesome and inept. In San Francisco it was Terry Donahue and in Detroit it was Matt Millen. Look at what Carroll and Belichick have done when everyone works in concert. Mooch proved he could coach in San Francisco under some very difficult conditions like new and bad ownership, cap issues, T.O., Donahue and he still went to the playoffs 4 times. He also developed a no name QB out of the CFL by the name of Jeff Garcia. Like Fox says in the article, you don't have to hire the guy, but at the very least grant him an interview and give him a shot.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than enhancing the chance of #4 coming back, what in mooch's past makes him such an attractive prospect???

He lost control in San Francisico (granted it was T.O.) and in Detroit. He is reputed to be soft and a players coach -- what leads any of you to think that is what T.T. is interested in?

Frankly, if the Packers fired Sherman a better coach with a better record to hire someone like Steve Mariucci what would the rational be?

Mariucci compiled a 15-28 as the Head Coach of the Detroit Lions. The decision to fire him came after a 27-7 loss on national television at home on Thanksgiving Day to the Atlanta Falcons. -- he had clearly lost his team and they were quitting on him. You can say what you like, but Detroit drafts high every season and many were predicting good things for them coming into the 2005 season.

Yes, Mariucci joined the Lions after spending six years as the head coach for San Francisco 49ers (1997-2002), where he compiled a 60-43 (.583) record, while his teams earned playoff berths four times (1997, 1998, 2001 and 2002).

I can live with hiring Bates. I can live with hiring a new young guy to rebuild with. I can even live with hiring Steve Mariucci, whom I personally like, if it results in Brett coming back. But any honest evaluator would argue that it was a downgrade in coaching ability.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andy said:
Bruce, Mooch did win 3 playoff games while he was in San Francisco. In fact, he got them back to the playoffs after the salary cap devastated the roster and the team basically had to start from scratch. Here is his bio...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/c ... ariSt0.htm

Of course you are right Andy. He beat Holmgren in his final game in Green Bay with T.O.'s miracle catch and Rice's fumble/phantom down by contact call.

He started strong with a great roster faded to failure (as you rightly point out when they had to dismantle the team because of the salary cap) brought them back to success -- but lost control of the team and was fired.

Head to head Sherman was pretty impressive against Mooch:

++ Sherman beat Mooch in his first year as a coach in the regular season

++ The next season Sherman knocked him and the 49ers out of the playoffs in early 2002 after 01 season.

Here is what Bill Walsh, the retired coach and general manager who serves the 49ers as a consultant said these Packers clearly weren't as good as the squads that reached the Super Bowl after the 1996 and '97 seasons.

"But they're very well-coached and very efficient," Walsh said. "And the quarterback, well, he's magnificent."

++ Sherman beat Mooch again in 2002, 20 to 14 during the regular season

++ The next season 2003, Sherman beat him again 31 to 6, before finally losing to him on Thanksgiving day in Detroit 22 - 14

++ The next season, 2004 Sherman swept Mooch again 38 to 10 and 16 to 13.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Mariucci and have sentimental reasons for wanting him to coach the Packers--I grew up right near where he did, went to the same college, and so on--but the more I've read about him, the more I think he would be better off as a college coach. He's the upbeat, "players' coach" type. I'm not sure he would even have anything to add to the Packers as an OC. His play-calling, to me, is not too different from Sherman's and Rossley's.

And to bring in a coach just to attract a popular player who is near the end of his career would be an unforgivable error on Thompson's part. For better or worse, Thompson has been entrusted with the future of this franchise. He is not a public relations director.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mooch is not being interviewed for one reason. IT WOULD INCREASE THE POSSIBILITY OF BRETT COMING BACK. Bus Cook was quoted recently saying that if Mariucci got the job it would definately increase the possibility of Brett coming back. Seems to me if TT really WANTED Brett to come back he would at least interview the man.

PackerCoz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, a "deer in the headlights" look on our next head coach, signals trouble. I have seen Mariucci with that "what do I do now" look on his face. He is a great man off the field, but doesn't (and wouldn't have) enough supporting cast to be an effective coach on the field...

Sorry folks, but Mariucci is not the right kind of "fire" to get the Packers to play well... :stop:

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you guys hire mooch. Packers at the bottom of the nfc for the next few years.

Latest posts