Where the Pack stands this offseason before the draft

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 -"O-line", pieced together after playing the scuffle game and at one point of the season dead last in sacks allowed. Book end tackles were question marks this year due to age and injuries, next year more the same and both a year older. Sitton may be the only position that is set going into training camp. This is a major work in progress

2. - "Defense", an improvement from last year but had the growing pains associated with move to the 3-4.

Key injuries at the CB position exposed a weakness late in the season as far as depth at the position.

Kampman's switch to the new position still a question mark, his injury and contract lead only to more questions.

Mathews was a nice surprise and exceeded expectations in his first year, Raji like most rookies has a lot of things to improve. Brads Jones another welcomed surprise, interesting to see how he develops.

Question marks about AJ Hawk, bumpy road to start (lions game 9 reps) did some good things late, but awful playoff performance, Barnett with nothing to brag about either that game, but one year removed from knee injury may see him fully back to his old self

Defense still came up short playing the better teams in the league, Steeler/Arizona 1000 yards against. Big concern here, not a top 5 defense yet.

3 - "Special Teams" Issues with skill positions, kickers and return men. Last year a major focus by MM saw at best no improvement this year and may have gotten worse. Ranks on the bottom of the 32 teams in the NFL

4 - "Offense" A-rod is now in the debate as a top 5 QB and earned a leadership role on the team. Finnely/Havner have greatly added to our receiving threats and Grant had another 1000 yard performance. Still looking for another RB to compliment Grant in the running game.

4.5 - Penalties, again and again we seem to lead the league in this area, worst of the year was Johnny Jolly losing his cool in the home game against the vikings and adding insult to injury his interview after the game.

5 - Next year schedule is much tougher:

Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, San Francisco 49ers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, New York Jets

From my point of view, with the harder schedule, we have to make some big changes this season to improve on a 11-5 in and done performance. I don't think TT's building only in the draft is going improve our chances next year, maybe the years to follow. My main concern is the O-line, if he only adds rookies in the 2nd and latter rounds, next year will be a developing year to prepare this team for years to come.

There are just too many areas that need attention, and rookies take time to fill the voids.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From my point of view, with the harder schedule, we have to make some big changes this season to improve on a 11-5 in and done performance. I don't think TT's building only in the draft is going improve our chances next year, maybe the years to follow.

OK, lets all stop watching the Packers then. :suicide2:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Think you sum it up well my friend! Packers have a lot to conquer. But they are off to a good start.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, lets all stop watching the Packers then. :suicide2:

No, I am a true fan, sat through a number of losing seasons, I watch win or lose. IMO this season the Packers made some tremendous strides finishing with one hell of a playoff game, but along with the Packers improvement I think our easy schedule played its role. To expect the same outcome or improvement next year with a harder schedule is just foolish.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT Possibility via Free Agency:

Buccaneers.com | Player Detail
Donald Penn, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (27)
Penn is one of the more underrated left tackles in football today and will be one of many talented offensive linemen set to become unrestricted free agents this year. While Penn hasn’t had his best season this year, he has proven in the pass to be one of truly balanced left tackles. Penn has done a nice job in the past of keeping the blindside clean of pressure and the Buccaneers have done a nice job this year running over left tackle. The Buccaneers should try to re-sign him quickly because a young left tackle on the market may see some high-end coin.

Worth looking into

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I am a true fan, sat through a number of losing seasons, I watch win or lose. IMO this season the Packers made some tremendous strides finishing with one hell of a playoff game, but along with the Packers improvement I think our easy schedule played its role. To expect the same outcome or improvement next year with a harder schedule is just foolish.

my favorite of those has to be 04 where we went 4-12 with master favre behind center.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penalties.
It's embarrising to listen to commentators saying over and over and over, "The Packers lead the NFL with penalties..."

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penalties.
It's embarrising to listen to commentators saying over and over and over, "The Packers lead the NFL with penalties..."

Excellent point, just added penalties to my original post. I understand that MM in his mind coaches the fundamentals, but the players are not showing it on the field. What was the Packers average loss in penalties a game, over a 100 yards a game I bet.

Worst penality of the year was Jolly's head butt, then making it worse with his interview.

Clean that up, theres an extra 1000 yard receiver we don't have to draft.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent point, just added penalties to my original post. I understand that MM in his mind coaches the fundamentals, but the players are not showing it on the field. What was the Packers average loss in penalties a game, over a 100 yards a game I bet.

Worst penality of the year was Jolly's head butt, then making it worse with his interview.

Clean that up, theres an extra 1000 yard receiver we don't have to draft.

Nice WR analogy think about how much more close we could have been in the games that we did lose in '09. I also have to admit that Mccarthy isn't alone when you talk about penalties, the players have to wake up too. Nick Barnett's postgame speech against the cowboys really made me go hmmm when he said "coach has been taking all the heat for the past couple of weeks when we the players needed to do our job."

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we clean up the penalties we go 13-3 and win the division this past season (the steeler game and the bucs game) with that record we get a first round buy and a chance at a dallas team that we alreddy have beaten. Without penalties we would be right in the middle of the hunt for SB 44. I agree we gotta clean it up and become more disciplined.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we clean up the penalties we go 13-3 and win the division this past season (the steeler game and the bucs game) with that record we get a first round buy and a chance at a dallas team that we alreddy have beaten. Without penalties we would be right in the middle of the hunt for SB 44. I agree we gotta clean it up and become more disciplined.

The penalties were cut down during the last 8 games of the season. Bringing tauscher back not only stabilized the line but the attitude of the players as well.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed like a lot of the penalties were in the secondary too - especially after Harris went down and we had a lot of Bush - especially in the Baltimore game. Hopefully this will improve with the injured players getting back on the team.

Reaction score
The reason al harris injury didnt seem to affect us because we were vsing qbs that were not good and not very good receivers and when we did vs a good qb and recievers we got whooped twice in cluding playoffs. If we had al back he could of helped us alot and tramon willams who is alright can deal with people his talent the No 3 wr spot instead he got injured and tramon took the 2 spot and Jarret "toast " bush took the 3 spot once we get al back we can do more blitzes because of his press coverage and not get toasted as bad as bush in there

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason al harris injury didnt seem to affect us because we were vsing qbs that were not good and not very good receivers and when we did vs a good qb and recievers we got whooped twice in cluding playoffs. If we had al back he could of helped us alot and tramon willams who is alright can deal with people his talent the No 3 wr spot instead he got injured and tramon took the 2 spot and Jarret "toast " bush took the 3 spot once we get al back we can do more blitzes because of his press coverage and not get toasted as bad as bush in there

I'm not doubting that Al isn't good but I think his time in Green Bay is done. He hasn't been able to play in all 16 games the last two seasons and even if he does come back next year he won't finish out the season. The question now is, who do we get in order to replace or rotate him with?

Staff online

Latest posts